1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Royal Observer Corps

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by blaster, Aug 6, 2019.

1. blaster Active Member

United-States
    Hi All,

I'm looking for visual info on the above, specifically on the radio headset, microphone and the actual radio that was used. I would like to model a figure using the above but with all the wires correctly plugged into place.
    From my limited knowledge, I notice that aircrew wore a different headset to the ROC.
    I can't quite make out how the mike plugs into or connects (?) to the headset. There is a throat item hung around the neck that seems to be tied to the mike cord(?) but it is all masked in the photo, and how all the wires connect to the radio. I think that I have the correct radio in the below picture.
    I would be grateful for further info, including schematics if any. thanks.

Rgds Victor roc 1.jpg roc2.jpg
  2. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Richie likes this.
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  4. blaster Active Member

United-States
    Hi Mirof and Richie,

Thanks for yr replies. The radio pics are perfect.
    I’m trying to model an ROC member walking outside the observation post pushing a cart with a radio in it.
    The pic is from an old blandford book.

Rgds Victor.
    Nap likes this.
  5. blaster Active Member

United-States
    This is the pic.

Rgds Victor ROCC.jpg
    Nap likes this.
  6. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Victor

Great subject choice ideal for a 75mm ..nice array of medal ribbons in the Blandford picture , pe naps the cart was a modified child's pram ...

Looking forward to seeing this progress

Happy benchtime

Nap
  7. blaster Active Member

United-States
    Hello Nap,

You won' be trying to steer me into some 75mm scale now, would you? I am mostly a 54mm modeller and my modest skills won't do any justice to larger figures.:)

I've always wanted to model this particular figure so I have good chance to get it right with all this generous sharing of info.

But looking at this picture, I notice that the very long lead headphone plug is tucked into the front of the telephone, with the front cover up, and not plugged in into the back of the rear socket. Which means that the thing is not on, correct?

Rgds Victor
    Nap likes this.
  8. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Victor

Never steer you my friend ......apart from to a bust ....LOL

54mm ....all credit to you for working in the scale ...sure it will look great .......and you can still do medal ribbons !!!

Happy benchtime

Nap

image.jpeg
  9. blaster Active Member

United-States
    Hello Nap,

A very interesting pic you have just attached. I see a cloth insignia on his left sleeve with what looks like a spitfire plane in 3 quarter view.

Obviously for my proposed piece, I can see that he lacks shoulder insignia and nothing on his right sleeve. But the left sleeve is hidden from view. What can I reasonably add to his left sleeve?

I attach a pic taken from the web which does NOT show that 3/4 spitfire cloth insignia but instead other insignia.

Rgds Victor ROC-insignia.jpg
  10. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Victor

I saw that I do have a book on the RAF which includes ROC uniforms I think ...will try and find it( just moved ) see what's in it

There's also the Osprey book

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  11. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Victor

Here's the details from the Hobart book above

Shows 1 spitfire badge in versions dependant on qualifications or perhaps there might be other versions

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Nap
  12. blaster Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Nap!

I read up on the text accompanying the Blandford book. This 1944 figure is an observer status only, higher ranks insignia would have been seen on both sleeves. If he was a "master spotter", he would have a circular badge with a spitfire on his left sleeve (position not indicated). He is pushing a pram for the telephone unit, providing a link between post and command.

I think I have enough details to start modelling. Once, again, thanks to all for providing the info and impetus for me.

Rgds Victor

Attached Files:

Nap likes this.
  13. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi there Victor

I too went to the Blandford ......good picture

Of course in your first picture of badges numbers 6 onwards relates to post war insignia looking at the dates on the white label

Reading the Hobart book text it states " from 1943 tests were compulsory , on passing a badge showing the underside of a spitfire in Lt blue on a blue/ gray patch was worn on upper left sleeve .

In March 1954 repeated passes resulted in a system of spitfires and stars "

Happy modelling

Nap

PS What's in the attachment showing as text ?
  14. blaster Active Member

United-States
    Hi Nap,

The selected text was taken from the Blandford book.
    Looks like I'll add a lt blue pass spitfire square badge to his left upper arm for 1944.

Rgds Victor
    Nap likes this.