1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Royal Navy Captain 1806 "Lucky Jack" - Young Min. Review

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Guy, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Young Miniatures
    YH1814

Royal Navy Captain, 1806 "Lucky Jack"
    1/10th scale resin - 4 parts
    Sculpted by Ahn Jun Sik
    Painted by lee Sang Eon

Jack 01.jpg

Young Miniatures has released the above bust sculpted by Ahn Jun Sik, a young artist in his early 20's and painted by the talented hands of Lee Sang Eon, another young artist in his early 20's. Can you imagine what these talented pair will bring us over the years to come?

Jack 02.JPG

The kit is comprised of 4 resin parts. The hat, head, shoulders and the bust plinth. Packaged in Young's traditional sturdy black box with the clear plastic sleeve over the box.

Jack 03.JPG Jack 04.JPG

Jack 05.JPG Jack 06.JPG

Above is the separate cast head with a mold block that removes easily. Already we see the attention to detail Ahn Jun Sik has sculpted into the face to resemble Russel Crowe.

Jack 07.JPG Jack 08.JPG

Jack 09.JPG Jack 10.JPG

Above we see the four sides of the chest with the attention to detail clearly seen in the lace at the neck, the 1/2 button at the top and the detailed buttons.

Jack 11.JPG Jack 12.JPG

Jack 13.JPG Jack 14.JPG

Above you see the head dry-fitted to the chest.

[ continued in next posting ]

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Jack 15.JPG Jack 16.JPG

Jack 17.JPG Jack 18.JPG

Above we see the four sides of the tr-corn hat.

Jack 19.JPG

Jack 20.JPG

Jack 21.JPG Jack 22.JPG

Jack 23.JPG

Jack 25.JPG Jack 26.JPG

Jack 26a.JPG

Above you see multiple views of all 3 parts dry-fitted after removing the mold blocks so we could see the overall view of the main components.

[ continued in next posting ]

3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Jack 26b.JPG

Above is the traditional bust plinth all Young busts come with.

Additional close-ups of
    "Lucky Jack" kit

Jack 26c.JPG

Jack 27c.JPG

Jack 28c.JPG

Jack 29c.JPG

Jack 30c.JPG

Jack 31c.JPG

Additional Box art
    by
    Lee Sang Eon

Jack 32.jpg Jack 33.jpg

Jack 34.jpg Jack 35.jpg

Conclusion:
    Another bar has been raised and set by the release of this kit. Excellent detail and sculpting. Dry-fitting after removal of mold blocks was good. I feel this bust will gain "Classic" status soon and we shall see many of Lucky Jack at shows to come. Highly recommended.

Young Miniatures web-site
    click here

R297
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy thanks for the review, this one is on my x-mas list
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for the review Guy. My "Lucky Jack" arrived last Thursday and I can't wait to get started on him. As you say, this should become a "classic" bust.
  6. Mark S Guest

Thanks for such a detailed review, Guy.
    What a great bust,it looks more like Russell Crowe than Russell Crowe does.
    Hard to imagine anything better than the quality of this sculpting.
  7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent review of an excellent piece guy! Thanks!

Jay H.
    OKc
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent bust. Thanks for the revieuw Guy.

Marc
  9. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    thanks for your review Guy
    it's an amazing bust !
  10. mario Active Member

Brazil
    Hello Guy

Excellent figure and great review

Warm regards

Mario
  11. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautiful release from Young,
    Thanks for the review Guy!
  12. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for posting Guy, this a a real stunner, mine arrived on Saturday, the level of detal and casting is just outstanding
    Tommi
  13. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome!

Mike
  14. Bad91Fellow Member

Germany
    the head can be taken off....a conversion is calling! great!
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I've just found a pic of Russell Crowe from the movie, and there a few obvious differences between the box art and the movie, particularly the gold trimming on the jacket lapels and collar and the brim of the hat.

Am I missing something here??

Attached Files:

16. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Googled search

Tony,
    googled images, found one image for a lieutenant hat, similar era.

seems that Gold Trim around the edges may not have been official.

Given you have already committed to gold trim, its based on a movie, and its your figure, it looks fine.

Id run with it, personally....

cheers

Attached Files:

17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks jamie,

I'm going to stick with the gold trim on the hat. He is Captain after all.
  18. renarts Active Member

United-States
    The gold trim with the standing collar on the jacket is a dress uniform. Looks better in hollywood I suppose. Typicaly in period aboard ship, he would wear his undress uniform which would not have the gold trim and would have the falling collar and lapels buttoned across, unless he was accepting visitors or was performing a ceremonial duty which dictated dress uniform . Hats followed alot of the same custom between dress and undress.

There are subtle changes made to both dress and undress uniforms later in the 18thc. and again later in the first part of the 19thc. but I don't have those at hand. If you really want to know I can pull the Vade Mecum and see what they were. These little nuances on the uniforms are as subtle as the number of buttons, lace loops, their spacing, how the collars fell, number of rows of piping or gold trim, placement of epaulettes, and can also be dictated how long the officer is on the officer's list, his place in the fleet or squadron and his particular ship.
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments mate.

The point I was trying to make in raising this question is that this bust is a character from a movie, and the uniform as sculpted and painted on the box art, doesn't seem to be accurate to the movie.

I don't expect Hollywood movies to be 100% historically accurate, but I would expect a bust of a figure from a Hollywood movie to be accurate to the movie, if not to history.

Don't get me wrong, I love this bust and I have enormous respect for the people who sculpted it and painted the box art, I just wanted to know why the bust was missing the gold trim on the jacket collar and lapels, and why the box art was painted with a black trim on the hat instead of gold?

At the end of the day, it won't affect my enjoyment of making and painting this bust, and if I wasn't so lazy I might even sculpt on the missing details myself.
  20. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Hey Tony,
    No worries. Hollywood has a long way to go before they get anything remotely correct. I'm just happy that they manage to get it right that the Americans fought the Germans in WW2.

One of the guys in our crew was a technical advisor for the movie and he would tear his hair out on a daily basis.

The main difference between the bust and the movie is that the bust, is generally correct for an undress uniform. Hence the fall collar and lack of trim. The move still and much of the movie itself had him in his dress uniform. As is always the case, you paint it the way you feel you want to. Since there is little record of small details like a captain wearing his dress hat with his undress frock there is nothing to say it is right or wrong. And there are maybe a handfull of folks that would recognize that the bust is in undress.

One of these days I'd like to put together a vignette of the captain's gig for the HMS Harlequin. The captain had his "gig party" (the sailors that would row him from ship to ship or ship to shore) in jackets made of harlequin fabrics that were quite colorful to say the least. That would make for a pretty picture. A captain with full dress surrounded in a jolly boat with guys dressed like clowns at carnival.