1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Royal Naval Division in Antwerp 1914

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thank goodness the thing is done! Ever feel like that when you finish a diorama? I'm never tryin' one this big again - - until the next time. ;)

I finished about 80% of the house-wall put it together with the street and stuck the figures in their places and - - it was just far too big! 120mm has its advantages and disadvantages - and I think I've had demonstrated to me (as in pie-in-the- face type learning) one of its significant shortcomings. SO - got rid of the house and the Belgian mama figure. I kept the other four figures and added a Verlinden street lamp (converted to gas :) ) to the Belgian cobblestone road.

The figures look pretty wobbly in the photos - sorry about that - they are just stuck down temporarily with photomount.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Dave Cox - it's all yours buddy! Should be in the mail tomorrow or Monday.

All the best,
    Dan
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Wow! Thats looking good Dan, can't wait to see this one painted up.
    Bootnecks and Matelots with guns, great stuff.
    Roger
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dan,

Great work. I like to see more of your work. ;) I find that the child make's the whole scene. It gives some dramatic, but on the other hand some humoristic in a not so friendly environment.

Marc
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks guys!! Now, I'm more than ready to go sculpt the cavalryman!~ :)

All the best,
    Dan
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    and his horse?
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Well...sort of. I'm using one from a Dragon kit, changing the saddle and tackle to fit. Sculpting a horse from scratch - shudder.... :(

All the best,
    Dan
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Dan, I have never plucked up the courage to paint one let alone sculpt one.
  8. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Looks good Dan - I only have a couple in the stash,so these will go almost straight on the bench!!
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I think there's plenty there to keep you going for awhile Dave.
  10. nagashino New Member

Hi Dan

This group looks very nice, and I'm awaiting Dave's treatment of the paint job.

I agree with Marc, the addition of a kid kinda sets it off nicely. Mind you, kids grew up pretty quick at that time. My mother's uncle lied about his age and was seriously wounded at Loos, aged 16. In the photos I have of my two grandfathers (both of whom went right through 14-18 and survived - or I wouldn't be here of course :) ) they both look like middle-aged men, but neither would've been more than 20 when the pics were taken in 1917.

Good stuff Dan!

Regards

Phil
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    WOW! Dan, that's a moster. In terms of staging I might have brought the figures a little closer together. This would have eliminated a good part of the sections of the street that have nothing on them. While you want each figure to have a little breathing room, it might also have cut down on the amount of building you would have included. Anyway, my hats off to you as a project of this scale is a lot of work...and then some. :) ~Gary
  12. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work Dan...for me, definately your best piece so far.
    The vignette pic showing the 2 guys lighting-up is excellent..and works very well, and could have stood on it's own.

Keep it up Dan and keep working the putty...you're doing great :)

All the best...Roy.
  13. Ray Active Member

United-States
    Dan,
    Really nice, how much time did you say it took? You'd be lucky to live long enough to make very many of these. Think I'll stick to 1/32!

Ray
  14. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    DAN Wow !!! Thats a pretty cool job my man !!! Ilike the whole setup and the kid addition makes it superb. Waiting to see this painted . !!!! Nice job !!!
  15. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    I received this in the post today, and I can say that these figures look even better in real life than in the pics!!

Just finished PiliPili's Cavalier so these are next up!!
  16. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hi Dan
    Compliment Indeed one beautiful scene
    the much beautiful attitude of two that to ignite the cigarette
    much natural one.

MAB
  17. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Gentlemen -

Back from a week's business trip and happy to see your kind comments. Many, many thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing Dave's skills displayed on the painting.

All the best,
    Dan
  18. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Did you ever post the completed and painted diorama?