1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Royal Marine Light Infantry 1914

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jimbo, May 1, 2014.

1. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    This is the finished painted side to my long drawn out conversion of two Carl Reid bust sculpts, as per my previous post of some months ago this is the follow up:

A "CGS military figures" Royal Marine light Infantry Bugler bust converted to a full 200mm figure using magi- sculpt & Milliput and "Stormtroopers" Gordon Highlander bust, converted in the same way, basically everything was added from the belt-line down on both figures and the pack & cap was added to the Sergeant and his jacket collar needed changing too.
    Painting medium was a mix of Humbrols/oils & acrylics, this project seemed to take on a life of it's own & I've not a clue how many hours were put into it but a lot is all I can say.

The scene shows two RMLI's as Part of the Royal Naval Division on the way to the front during the German siege of Antwerp 1914, wearing the pre Khaki Blues of the time & also wearing the disliked Brodrick cap, in fact due to this cap the local Belgian's mistook them for Russian Infantry & it was reported as such in the newspapers that the "Russians are in Antwerp", as a small point of interest the RMLI wore this cap well into the 1920's therefore becoming the very last British unit to have to wear this Russian/Germanic looking headgear.
    Following the fall of Antwerp after a hard fought battle,a number of RMLI were cut off & taken prisoner.
    Against all the agreed rules for treatment of POW's these poor buggers were later sent to work within gunshot of the Russian front during the winter of 1916/1917, some were actually killed by Russian snipers mistaking them for German, also artillery shells took their toll and many of them also died in the freezing sub-zero temperatures, those that did survive suffered frost bite and loss of fingers & toes, in some cases limbs were lost too, only a handful of them made it home in early 1919.
    With the anniversary of the start of the Great war coming up this year, this is my small tribute to all those brave men, who fought for freedom & liberation during those terrible years of 1914-1918.

Hope you like what I've done and all comments are very welcome.
    Cheers(y)
    Jim

001.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG
    Rompy, amcairns, elanlane13 and 21 others like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This is a awesome conversion.
    What a extremely well done job on the sculpt and paintwork.
    Like it.

Marc
    Jimbo likes this.
  3. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Marc, your comments are very much appreciated, glad you like them
    Cheers(y)
    Jim
  4. swralph A Fixture

Very nice work(y)
    Jimbo likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    James ,

And you said you never paint ......bet you like blues now ..like the variations...awesome mate ...

brilliant composition as well with the conversion being top notch ...

..like the basework as well(is that a different base?) ....how many split peas's went to make the cobbles or is it rolled putty??...

Like the addition of the single poppy ..very thought provoking mate

.....bring this tommorow otherwise no biccies for you youg man!!!

Blimey I hate you having so much time on your hands ;)

Thanks for sharing

Nap

[IMG]
    Joe55, prhayes68, yeo_64 and 3 others like this.
  6. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Swralph, much appreciated
    Cheers(y)
    Jim
  7. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Hello Kev,
    Thanks mate, You've seen this project grow so glad you like the finished article, need to move on to something nice & easy now ........with no blue involved!
    Cheers
    Jim(y)

P.S
    Kev, have you figured out what medal ribbons the Sergeant is wearing yet???;)
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    They look brilliant Jim.(y)
    Jimbo likes this.
  9. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Cheers Carl, much appreciated.
    Jim(y)
  10. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Hello again Kev,
    Different base and putty for the cobblestones(y)
    Jim
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Typical ..the easy life eh ...medals I will show you tommorow ...best remind me though!!!

Nap
  12. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Kev pay attention!:facepalm: (Blimey! if it's not lost keys it's something else!)

I've already repainted the medal ribbons:sneaky:.....Just wondered if you know what ribbons I have now chosen?? Ha!
    Cheers
    Jim
  13. Waterman Active Member

I really do like that, something that I would love to do if the parts were available. Well done that man.
    Jimbo likes this.
  14. Helm A Fixture

England
    Brilliant work mate top quality
    Steve
    Jimbo likes this.
  15. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Waterman, glad you like them.
    Cheers(y)
    Jim
  16. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Steve, much appreciated mate.
    Cheers(y)
    Jim
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Amazing! What a great conversion.

Roger.
    Jimbo likes this.
  18. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hery nice work and something very diffireant looking forward to seeing more from you.

cheers
    Ian
    Jimbo likes this.
  19. VERY NICE.....
    Jimbo likes this.
  20. prhayes68 Active Member

United-States
    Really nice piece of work. I love the job you've done on the blues.

Pete
    Jimbo and Wings5797 like this.