1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Royal Marine Commando, Falklands - WIP

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Nov 19, 2009.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Some of you may have seen my recent SBS on painting British DPM camoflague on the Painting Thread, using this excellent 120mm resin figure of a British Royal Marine Commonado in the Falklands War by The Imperial Gallery.

Well, after stuffing about for the past week, I'm now moving forward with this figure. The beret and scarf are just base coated at this stage. The face is at an equally early stage of development.

The problem I'm facing is the fit of the bergen backpack. It doesn't fit snuggly to the curve of the back and therefore looks unnatural when I test fitted it. I'll probably need to whip out the dremel and the Super Sculpey and do some reconstructive surgery on it before I can paint it.

Has anyone else done this figure and had the same problem?

I've attached some reference shots that I'm using and some WIP pics to show you where I'm up to.

Attached Files:

2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work so far Tony.
    It looks that they have enough weigthbearring for the whole campaign.

Marc
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Nice work on the DPM Tony. Hurry up you've got Mans Best Friend to get on with :D

Roger.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Tony he looks as though he as ski boots on, as opposed to DMS.
    Carl.
  5. Robert Laclavik Active Member

Czech-Republic
    Excellent painting Tony! the camouflage is very hard to catch, but you did it with excelence.
    best regards,
    R.L.
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work so far Tony and great work on the DPM which looks about right for the period. I will be following this one closely mate.

As for the Bergen the type issued to Marines and Paras differed from standard issue and had a metal frame with straps which made it sit off the body slightly rather than an all cloth type which fits snug to the back, i know mine never sat close to the body.

Steve
  7. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Tony.
    Excellent work as usual.
    I think this camouflage is very complicated, but I think you're expressing very well.
    I'm looking forward to future's progress.

Mitsutaka
  8. RFL Active Member

United-States
    Nice start Tony, these were always very interesting and well done figs and look forward to your version, since I`ll never get to mine...;)
  9. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice work so far Tony on the camo,look forward to see how this one turns out.

Cheers David
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Marc, these fellas carried exceptionally heavy loads on their backs. One of the reasons I liked this figure was the pose, showing the man leaning forward to ease the weight off his shoulders while he stopped for a break.

Thanks Roger, I'm working on this figure and two others at the same time, including Man's Best Friend.

Hi Carl, I've just base coated the boots in black at this stage. Eventually they'll be worn out and muddy like they should be.

Thanks Robert, camoflague is always tricky to paint and I'm pleased you think I've been successful in making it look right.

Hi Steve, thanks for yourcomments and especially the tip on the bergen. Presumably there would have been some horizontal padding rolls that would have allowed air to circulate between the pack and the person wearing it. By all accounts these weren't particularly comfortable packs to wear, and when fully loaded must have been a nightmare. I'm sure the chiropractors of the UK have made a fortune treating ex-squaddies with bad backs from yomping with bergen packs all day.

Thanks Mitsutaka, I always appreciate your comments and your observations.

Hi Richard, thanks mate. These Imperial Gallery figures are excellent and I'm glad I picked one up when I had the chance. Hopefully you'll recruit yours from the Grey Army one day.

Thanks very much for your comment David. I'm pleased with the camo too but it won't look realistic to me until it's covered in muck and shite. Still a long way to go, but I'm having a lot of fun making and painting him, and that after all, is what its all about.
  11. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony, great work so far, excellent camo, filed in my memory banks, will follow progress with interest.

Cheers Ken
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Tony, I didn't mean they were too clean. Just the style, with the square toe they appear to be ski boots as in your photo. I know that everything will be getting you wonderful weathering.
    Carl.
  13. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    I'm late on this one mate, but it looks great already!!!

Ray ;)
  14. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Quote...By all accounts these weren't particularly comfortable packs to wear, and when fully loaded must have been a nightmare. I'm sure the chiropractors of the UK have made a fortune treating ex-squaddies with bad backs from yomping with bergen packs all day...Quote

Funny you should mention that mate as i was medically discharged from the Paras, the reason......spinal injuries, i wonder why!!!!!

yeh you are right there was a padded strap that ran horizontal at the bottom of the metal frame, not that it helped much when the bergen contained about 80+lb.

Steve
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Ken, Carl, Ray,and Steve. As always, your comments are most appreciated.:)

I've just finished another marathon painting session, and although it doesn't look much different from the last pics I posted, the subtle changes are starting the take shape.;)

Steve, thanks for the info on the bergen (and sorry to hear about your back:().

Attached Files:

16. dinovision79 Active Member

Hi Tony,

excellent stuff, I'm glad you're painting this figure as I like it very much too, good to see it coming along!

Denes
  17. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is looking very good Tony, really taking shape now and looks like its going to be a stunning figure.

Steve
  18. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    It looks very good Tony, very beautiful the camouflage, complimenta !!

stefano
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Denes, thanks mate. I'll do my best.

Thanks Steve, I've now got the belt kit and bergen on, so the next pics will show a lot more progress.

Stefano, grazie mille. The camoflague was easy compared to getting the bergen backpack to sit properly on the back.
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I need some help please

Hi guys,

I've hit a snag with the bergen backpack on this guy, and I'd like to get some advice.:eek:

As you can see from the pics below, the bergen (which has been base coated) looks OK from the front and back, but when you see it from the side there are huge gaps between the back and the backpack.:(

I've already used my dremel tool to sand down some of the details on the uniform to help make it fit better, but it still looks wrong.:eek: I'm considering removing the two pouches under the sleeping bag at the back. Any thoughts???

From my own experience lugging huge packs like this on my back all day, I know that these packs sit very close to your back. The more weight you're carrying the closer the fit.

Before I start grinding and sanding away, I was hoping you guys could suggest a way to make the pack fit better, without the need for major surgery to the figure or the backpack.:confused:

Attached Files: