1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Royal Horse Guards Officer from Stormtroopers

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to all PF friends ,

Uniforms are a way of displaying splendour, pomp and ceremony even in todays highly professional armies throughout the world but one ceremony that shine's above IMO is the Trooping of the Colour with the Blues and Royals being a mass of immaculate uniforms , even in the past before amalgamation the amazing uniforms were very much seen in particular during the Regency period when they seemed to explode after the harsh Napoleonic campaigns , gold lace was everywhere , distinctive helmets were introduced.

Stu Hale from Stormtroopers has chosen such a subject for his latest release in the shape of an Officer from the RHG .

ST Life Gd.jpg

Lets have a bit of info on the Regiment itself :

As we know it today it was formed in 1969 from the merger of The Royal Horse Guards, which was known as "The Blues" or "The Oxford Blues", and The Royal Dragoons, which was known as "The Royals".

Both proud Regiments with many traditions and distinctions which have carried over to todays Regiment including the wearing of an eagle badge to commemorate the Royals taking a Napoleonic Eagle from the 105th Regiment [IMG]as well as being the only regiment in the British Army that allows troopers and non-commissioned officers, when not wearing headdress, to salute an officer .

The helmet changed from the 1812 helmet as seen at Waterloo to the 1817 pattern , by the 1822 and 26 dress regulations this showed a bearskin cap to be in use but by 1831(possibly earlier 1821) we see the "Roman" style being introduced , this is what we have depicted in this model ..like anything though changes happen and the "Roman" was replaced by the Albert Helmet being considered more practical.!!!
    2.JPG 2a.jpg 2aa.jpg
    Our subject wears a cuirass (and a Waterloo medal 000.jpg ) covered in gold embelishments and lace with a aguilette 3.JPG 4.JPG and epaulettes 5.JPG in full splendour ...this model is a NMM painters dream!!
    00.jpg 0.JPG 0aa.jpg 1.JPG
    Books are well covered here are a couple of my favourites (If you want a great reference on headdress then I recommend you look for the booklet by WY CARMEN originally printed in 1968) ` 00000a.jpg or for the Life Guards 00000.jpg

Continued in next post:

Nap
    Wings5797, Steve and Ben-nl like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets see what we are looking at :

Subject: Officer Royal Horse Guards Circa 1830

Reference: SB10/02

Scale: 1/10th

No of pieces: 3

Material: Resin

Sculptor: Maurice Corry(Moz)

Casting: Stu Hale

Box Art: N/A at time of Review(WIP from Ernesto Reyes)

As with previous releases we have amodel well protected in a stout cardboard box with the parts secured in a plastic bags which itself was in a envelope of bubble wrap.
    ST Life Guard 001.jpg
    As stated no box art was available with the Review model having a striking B & W picture on the front.
    ST Life Gd.jpg

We also have a instruction sheet included with colour pictures on it and painting details
    ST Life Guard 002.jpg
    Parts included are just 3 with the main torso and head (with helmet) being separate pieces , the 3rd being a small pillar style base ( I will replace this with my favoured brass rod)
    ST Life Guard 003.jpg
    Prep was simple to do with small casting plugs needing to be Looking at the main removed from the undersides of both main pieces (the torso has 3 ,the head has 1with one also at the lower edge of the bearskin crest) ...simple and easy to do as I said. Fit of the collar/head into the opposite area of the torso was clean with only a small swipe of filler needed ....then if you are like me mount it on a base (cover this !!!) and then prime in the colour of your choice and paint away.
    ST Life Guard 007.jpg
    ST Life Guard 004.jpg ST Life Guard 005.jpg ST Life Guard 006.jpg
    Beginning with the larger of the pieces the torso we have him wearing the cuirass , the sculpting is nicely done particularly at the lower edes , good details include the rivets and the belt around the cuirass , nice undercuts are seen throughout the torso .
    ST Life Guard 004.jpg
    Across his chest we have a pouchbelt full of good surface details ...looking really impessive when painted , the shoulder straps/scales are wonderful pieces of work with the scales being faithfully produced both in sculpting and casting , again good rivet defintion, at the base of these we see 2 lions heads ...nice work on these as well ..have a look at the pictures !!
    ST Life Guard 008.jpg
    Finally the "piece de resistance" IMO the shoulder cords, superb details in all area's cracking definition of these with the flounders hanging very naturally .
    ST Life Guard 012.jpg
    At his shoulders we have some fine looking epaulettes with the drops being extremely well lined great work at the bottom of these as well .
    ST Life Guard 011.jpg

Diplayed proudly we see a medal (love them!!!) this is of course the Waterloo medal , nice work on the actaul medal we have the Royal profile (see the pcture in previous post)
    ST Life Guard 009.jpg
    ST Life Guard 010.jpg
    This is just the torso and already my brushes are calling!!!!

Now to the 2nd piece the helmet and head, we see the full collar with some impressive work on the collar lace plenty of chance to hold my breath when painting this !!!.
    ST Life Guard 021.jpg ST Life Guard 019.jpg
    Now to the face ...a beauty , he looks a little arrogant but proud under his chin scales we see the whiskers peeking out , nice work on the ears , the helmet is being worn so some might find it a little harder to paint the eyes ...be patient it will be worth it..I promise., eyes and nose and mouth are nicely worked to aid the painting. ST Life Guard 018.jpg

On now to the crowning glory the helmet , chin scales are well defined with it looking like they are being pushed into the cheeks a little.as they should be , at the top we see a lion boss (on each side) similar to those on the torso.
    ST Life Guard 014.jpg ST Life Guard 015.jpg ST Life Guard 016.jpg ST Life Guard 017.jpg ST Life Guard 022.jpg ST Life Guard 020.jpg ST Life Guard 024.jpg
    The peak has a top notch undercut on it , pointed with the brass edging running along the front .

The body of the helmet is very accurate in shape with excellent sculpting of the decoration leaves (as seen in the pictures) ...some really fine work complimented by the casting quality...of particular note is the helmet plate ...a really great piece of work again complimented by the casting.

The comb of the helmet is scalloped at the edge again well defined , from this we move into the bearskin crest (I am pleased that this was cast as one with the helmet , the surface work is very nice indeed ..good chance to get those effects in place when painting .

ST Life Guard 023.jpg
    The 3rd piece is the pedastal post supplied ...you can of course use it , if you choose to do so the I suggest you drill the underside area a bit deeper .

Final thoughts:

This is a period of military flamboyance and so reflected in the uniforms we see this especially in this most welcome release from Stormtroopers , we have the expected great presentation (can't wait to see the box art!!!) , great sculpting with some really excellent detail work being done , all this fully complimented by the casting quality .....

This is a painter's piece and NMM painters dream ...well its is mine !!!

It would be nice to see another version with the bearskin headdress (possibly as a separate piece ?) as this would add another dimension to an already impressive model .

I for one hope we see much more from the Regency period

I heartily recommend this release ..hope we see this at Euro .

Thanks to Stormtroopers for the Review model ...

and of course to you all for looking in

Nap
  3. Ben-nl A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Nap for this good review. I can confirm, the casting is amazing...Maurice/Stuart, many thanks for this very nice bust.
    I see, it is possible to paint the uniform in red or blue...
    Ben
    stu and napoleonpeart like this.
  4. swralph A Fixture

Great review Nap,this looks a stunning model.and in real life that helmet is superb,thanks for showing this
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  5. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great review and I agree that more Regency Period figures would be a wonderful addition to this hobby.
  6. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Received mine last week. I agree with everything you say about the kit. Thanks for the review and the great reverence material.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi guys,,

Thanks for all the comments great sculpt and subject we all agree .....can't wait to see the Box Art though!!!!

Like Ben say it could also be painted in either guise as a Life Guard in red tunic or RHG in the blue .......I reckon if I get another head then might do a duo one with the bearskin ...certainly be impressive together .

Thanks to you all for looking at the Review

Nap
    Wings5797 and stu like this.
  8. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    This one is a must have, thank you Nap! (y)
    stu likes this.
  9. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow...cool review.

Many thanks nap !!!

Many thanks for all the great comments...it really is a wonderfull sculpt from moz.

The answer to all your questions is yes....regency period will be looked at more closely and a life guards companion is definately planned.

Cheers

Stu
    polyphemus and napoleonpeart like this.
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Stunning piece of sculpting.(y)
  11. RIKARDO Member

United-States
    Wonderful cast and very good review, thanks for post........
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Stunning piece of sculpting.(y)
  13. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  14. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Thanks for the review Nap. Great bust indeed.

Xenofon
  15. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks again for the detailed assessment. As always, it is much appreciated

Paul
  16. mick3272 A Fixture

First Sorry for highjacking this thread a tad,

QUESTION

Is anyone able to tell me if This Uniform and Headdress was in use by the RHG, in 1837, ie During Queen Victoria's reign .
    I note it is dated 1830, and I believe there was a uniform change in the late 30's early 40's

Thanks for any advice info.

Mick
  17. Chris Ribchester A Fixture

England
    Very nice work, looking forward to seeing first one painted.

Chris
  18. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautifully sculpted.

Mike