1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Royal Hesse- Darmstadt officer with colors, 1786

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by MarquisMini, Dec 16, 2014.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England

It's only dangerous in California.... the rest of us are fine. :D
    MarquisMini likes this.
  2. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hahaahahahaha
    billyturnip likes this.
  3. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Well....i took some of bravery and bought myself some oils to attempt the blue of the flag.
    I think painting it with oils will makes the process of bending and shaping the flag "safer" from dried paint to break in little flakes.
    i don't know this but just crossed my mind, maybe some of the "veterans" in oils painting could confirm my theory.
    20141220_174414.jpg
  4. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Primed the flag with Mr metal brush on primer.
    For now, let it rest and dried and will paint the base color tomorrow. 20141220_201412.jpg
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I think you could be correct in your theory Daniel, the oils are probably less likely to crack, however I haven't tried it myself.
    A word of warning, I started out with a couple of tubes of oils with a specific task in mind now I've got a box full!!!! :D
    Wings5797 and MarquisMini like this.
  6. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Good choice, Daniel, the colors of this regiment are really nice, as well as the flag design. You will paint more or less, 36 fleur de lis in each side of the flag. (Holly patience)

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
    MarquisMini likes this.
  7. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

I bought reds and blues Roger, i know i will probably be buying more for sure.
    The only oils i have painted and that was years ago is Testors.
    Now, what throw me a little bit off is that even with the white spirit thinner , the consistency of the paint is way thicker than the acrylics i am used to paint with, but i can see how oils are much easier to blend when it comes to lights a d shadows.
    I will post pics of the based colored flag later.
    20141221_095820.jpg
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Daniel I have learnt to use oils thinned to the same watery consistency I did with acrylics and build up the colours in thin glazes. When I first started I was putting the stuff on way too thick.
    pgarri27 and MarquisMini like this.
  9. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Gracias Eduardo, i wanted to paint that color combination of blue and orange facings, even tough it looks more like a prussian uniform color rather than a Frenchie one.
    As for the flag, i really like it, the one i had in mi d was bouillon regiment which i will make it in the near future.
    The fleur de lys is going to be the tricky part of this flagand a painstaking process, i hope i can do a decent job at it.
    Thanks for passing amigo.
    Saludos
  10. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

I try to thinned a great deal.
    Maybe is the product i am using?

20141221_123846.jpg
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England

I don't know Daniel, hopefully other oil painters will add something. I thin my paints with Distilled Turpentine also by Winsor & Newton. Maybe it's me using the wrong stuff. :D
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Just thought, it might be the brand of oil paint you have. Might be worth investing in some by W&N. They can be expensive but last a long time.
  13. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I will try to look for the right stuff to thin the oil down.
    I know W&N oils and acrylics are the best, but i didn't want to spend a significant amount of money in a try out project and especially this time of the year ;-)
    We'll see what is the end result.
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England

I know what you mean Daniel that is exactly how I felt when I decided to experiment with oils. In my case it was two or three tubes to help me paint armour. It wasn't long before I was hooked. It's a shame you don't live closer I now have a box full I could lend you to experiment with. :D
    MarquisMini likes this.
  15. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Thank you Roger, i appreciate that.
    Let me know if you 'd ever visit tge sunshine Estate :)
    billyturnip likes this.
  16. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    One disadvantage i want to point out is that oils take really lomg to dry up comlare to acrylics....
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England

That's the advantage.:D
    MarquisMini likes this.
  18. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

I see i will have to let ot dry at least until tomorrow, unfortunatelly touched an edge of the flag and had to touch up that side :-(
  19. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I went to the art and craft today and got some mixing stuff for the oil paint, while at it, i grabbed a tube of Windsor & Newton at half the price.
    So i gave it a try. 20141222_184049.jpg 20141222_192128.jpg
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  20. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Daniel, before you use the Linseed Oil experiment on something else, I found it took ages to dry and had a glossy finish. Before I knew any better I painted some 30mm flats with it and when I came home after a month at sea they were still wet!!!!

Roger.
    Wings5797 and MarquisMini like this.