1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Roy Hunt's Zouave bust finished!!!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here’s the last project before the run on Atlanta! This is Roy Hunt’s 114th Collis’ Zouave bust…..and what a beauty! You guys will have to excuse me while I blather for just a second. This HAS to be one of the finest busts I have ever painted. The casting and attention to detail are the finest I’ve had the pleasure of painting. While I am in no way affiliated with Roy Hunt Miniatures, I will say that my hat is definitely off to you mate! The textures and details are perfect, the weary look is carried throughout the piece, there is absolutely no clean-up……...OK, enough ranting!

I loved the worn and weary look to this fellow, so I titled this one, “The Face of Battle”. I tried to exaggerate that feeling with the 5’oclock shadow and the slightly muted tones. Especially on the tassel, which I could have imagined would be filthy after some time in the field. I also chose the head with the side burns, goatee and mustache. I thought he looked more “field weary” with those and it gave me a chance to slightly “gray” up his goatee to make him look more the veteran. All painted in oils. Run, don’t walk to get yourself one of these, with the fine quality and the choice of two separate heads, this is one fantastic piece to paint.

Thanks for looking guys and gals! As always any and all critiques or criticisms are more than welcome!

Jay H.
    OKC

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome painting Jay. He does look "Weary" and tired and you have captured this look. Look forward to seeing him in the flesh.
  3. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hi Jay
    Good Paint
    optimal the details and the equilibrium of the tones ....
    Saluti MAB
  4. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good painting Jay!
    best regards
    christos
  5. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautiful work my friend. I really love it. Your tones and variations really work beautifull !!!!
  6. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    nice work mate, love the skin tones!!!!
  7. Angaliel Well-Known Member

France
    Very Good Jay,

what color mix for the blue shirt? and for the golden laces?

Thx

JP
  8. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Absolutely stunning ! Both the sculpting and painting!
    Can you give me your secret fleshtone mix?
    I'm struggeling a bit with mine.
  9. dimgall Active Member

Greece
    great painting jay.i would like too to give your mixes for yelllow and reds
  10. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Astounding paintwork Jay..!!..many congratulations on such a fine finish.
    Hope you do well with your display at Atlanta.

Roy.
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent painting Jay.
    Indeed, Roy Hunt make's excellent figures.

Marc
  12. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    WOW! Gentlemen, thanks for all the kind words. Roy does indeed create fine figures. Thanks to all for the kudos.

Roy, I always think, if someone deems my work worthy of an award for something I had so much fun doing, simply icing on the cake!

I have to get to work this morning gentlemen, so if you all will be patient, I will share some mixes with you on this piece this evening when I sit down and have a bit more time. Thanks for looking!

Jay H.
    OKC
  13. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Jay,
    Well done. Excellent paint job.
    I'd really like to hear your colors/mixes for the red on the cap.
    Congrats,
    Craig
  14. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Maybe it's easier to publish a book with all your mixes. :)
    I certainly want to know how you make that fleshtone.
  15. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Craig! I'll get some mixes posted up this evening when I get a minute to sit down. Thanks again everyone!

Jay H.
    OKC
  16. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Very nice Jay.

John
  17. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks John!

Jay H.
    OKC
  18. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jay

Well done my friend, it is a very nice piece, I will agree a real joy to paint, great to see finally a different version of this...... Great

Dave
  19. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dave, first of all thanks for the kind words! And secondly, I was heavily influenced by your great box art my friend! Thanks!

Jay H.
    OKC
  20. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    OK guys, here is my best attempt at sharing some mixes. Thanks a bunch for your patients and understanding at my less than professional explination.

For my fleshtones, I always start with the same 4 colors:
    Raw Umber
    Cad Red
    Yellow Ochre
    Titanium White

I apologize but I have never really measured my mixes, I usually just kinda go for it. I always start with my darkest shadow and work up to my lightest highlight color. The initial mix consists of the Umber, cad red and yellow ochre for the darkest shade. I then add white to this mix in increasing amounts to get the mid-tones and highlights. The darkest mix is what influences the feel of the flesh-tones. What I mean is that if I want a ruddier, redder mix, that tone is slanted to that color. If I want a cooler or lighter over all pallet, I mix this shade with that in mind. I will use straight raw umber in some cases for some of the deepest shadow areas. Particularly the laugh lines near the nose and mouth, the deepest recesses of the ears, nose (nostrils) and mouth etc. I also mix up a small portion of raw umber and cad red for a dark red color that I use for the cheeks (shadow under the cheek-bones) and for the lips. I have attached a picture of the pallet I used for my Dante bust. It is a bit lighter over all than this Zouave, but it is the same basic colors and gives a good idea of what I’m drivin’ at!

Craig, the reds were pretty simple on this one. I used cad red and raw umber with the slightest touch of yellow ochre to keep them nice and warm. I did use straight raw umber in the deepest recesses (sparingly) and the highlight shade has just a touch of white. The mid tone for the reds is predominantly cad red with just a touch of umber to tone it down a bit.

The yellows are essentially yellow ochre with raw umber added for the shadows and the slightest bit of cad yellow added for the mids, then that plus a touch of white for the highlights. I used a wash of raw umber for the tassel to get the details of the strings to stand out.

The blues on the coat are mostly Paynes gray with pthalo blue added. The pthalo is so strong I like to always use it in conjunction with another color to help it calm down a bit. The highlights are that mix with just a tad of white added, and most of the deepest shadows are straight Paynes gray.

Sorry for the long explanation! I hope this answers everyone’s questions on my mixes for this piece. Please feel free to ask some more specific questions if you have them. Again, thanks for wading through my less than accurate description.

Jay H.
    OKC

[IMG]