1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Rough Rider and Doughboy

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Long, Sep 6, 2005.

1. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Here's the Rough Rider

[IMG]

and the Doughboy

[IMG]

These are my first attempts at this scale. I like this size very well. The lack of accessories is a blessing and a curse. I had to scratchbuild the weapons, which while a pain, was very rewarding.
  2. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Excellent work John. They both look very good.

John
  3. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    John,

Both are nice but the doughboy is your best. ;) I like the detail on the boots laces.

Joe
  4. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Have to agree with Joe. Both are good (MUCH better than anything I can do) but the Doughboy is more apealling to my eyes. These should look very good with your characteristic groundwork. Any ideas yet? I'd love to hear em!

Jim Patrick
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic figures John........I look forward to seeing them painted.
  6. Alex Lopez Well-Known Member

Mexico
    Great figures John, I think this scale is perfect, not too big, not too small, and suitable for model and paint confortablemet.

Regards.

Alex.
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Great job on the figures. Based on the photo, the only thing I can find to comment on is the doughboy's rifle. Looking at the rifle's profile it looks too wide, which makes the rifle look large, though the length looks okay.~Gary
  8. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    You should be very proud, John!

The Rough Rider is my favorite. The pose is excellent!
  9. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guys.

Gary,

I'll do a bit of judicious sanding on the rifle and correct that. I agree. Something looked odd, and I just couldn't see it. Thanks
  10. Roc Active Member

United-States
    John, extremly well sculpted, they both look great.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  11. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work John, they both look great...but the rough rider is lovely, can't wait to see them both painted.

All the best.

Roy.
  12. Jacek Spychalski Member

Poland
    Great work !

Congrats and best regarsds!

Jacek
  13. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Outstanding job You did on both of them, John!
    But the most I like the Doughboy. I really love the way he is sitting.
    Such a natural pose. It could not be any better.
    Congratulations on a job well done, John!

Eddy.
  14. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Excellent job on both figures John. Well done!

-jim cox
  15. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    I am a big fan of the 75 mm scale.

Love the Roughrider. I'd like to see more commercial figures from that era.

Keith
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Wonderful sculpting, John. And I agree, that Doughboy, there's just something about him that's really appealing.

I haven't worked in 75mm scale yet, but plan to as soon as a couple of projects are completed. I agree with Alex, it's a great scale!

As far as conversion accessories in 75 - 80 mm scale - how about Fusilier? I don't think he's made any Springfield rifles, unfortunately. Once they were in theater, a lot of (I believe most...) US Army and USMC were required to turn them in and use Brit SMLEs for ammo supply reasons. And from what I've read, the US soldiers thought the Springfield superior to the SMLE, except for field durability maybe.

Question - It may be the photos and the typical size distortion that can occur due to lighting, etc., but, to me, the helmet on the Doughboy looks a little too large for the head? Not much, just a little bit.

All the best,
    Dan