1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Roubloff brushes

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by Banjer, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Banjer A Fixture

England
    After being made aware of this Russian company through PF I took a chance and ordered some on Amazon ( about £16 for a set of 3). They are size 0,1, and 1.5 and Kolinsky sable.

They are good , very nearly as good as W &N series 7. The only criticism I have is they are not quite so comfortable in hand as series 7.

Too early to say how they stand up to use but I am impressed so far.

Bill
  2. Nap Moderator

England

How are you getting on with these Bill ?

Nap
  3. Banjer A Fixture

England
    Still early days but no complaints so far. They are holding their point well.
    Only minor thing is the handles, they are slightly on the thin side and plain wood.
    If I go with these on a regular basis, and I might as they are a good price, I will varnish the handles but this is a very minor issue.

Bill
    Nap likes this.
  4. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Are you using these with acrylics or oils Bill?

Keith
  5. Banjer A Fixture

England
    Hi Keith
    I am using them with oils.
    I do use acrylic as an undercoat but find this wrecks my brushes so I use Pro Arte brushes for this task.

These Roubleoff brushes don't have quite the 'body' of series 7 for paint holding but, as said, I am pleased with them.
    I have only used them for three painting sessions and will update as and when.

Bill
  6. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thanks Bill, I'm an oil painter, l saw some demonstrated but with acrylics so l bought some last year but wasn't sure if I could use them with oils. I've got some pattern work to do on a figure so I'll give them a try.

Keith
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Certainly worked on the fine details l was putting on a figure tonight. I used a size o. Very happy with the result as l have put off doing this for days. The brush has a good point and is a little stiffer than the series 7.s

Keith
    Banjer likes this.
  8. Banjer A Fixture

England
    I have given two of these brushes some deliberate hammer for about 60 hours of painting. I have used them with oil, acrylic and metallics. This is not something I normally do but I wanted to test them.

They have passed with flying colours, I unreservedly recommend them.

Bill
    Henk and jai like this.
  9. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I have only used them with oils and they are the best brushes l have ever used. They hold their point it seems permanently.

Keith
  10. Airkid A Fixture

England
    I bought some of these from Amazon, probably the same set as you, Bill. I have used the "1" a few times with acrylics and it's pretty good, holds a good point and as mentioned, is a little stiffer than W&N S7s. I use a decorator level acrylic brush cleaner and it has survived that too. I'd buy again(y)

Phil
    Henk, Nap, Graham and 1 other person like this.