1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Rosie The Riveter

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by yeo_64, Mar 8, 2011.

1. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Hi guys,
    Here's my review of the Swash Design figure of "Rosie The Riveter", the iconic WW2 representation of the importance of the women in the American (and, by inference, the rest of the world) war effort. The model was obtained from Miniature-Park online store and is 54mm (1/32 scale) in size. The entire figure and base is in resin, except for the rivet gun hose, which is a wire-reinforced plastic tube. The whole set is packed in a sturdy clear plastic box. The figure concept is based on the famous painting of "Rosie" by Norman Rockwell. The castings are flash-free and there is only a very fine mold-line near the shoes and lower trouser portion of the figure. The only air-bubble I found was near the corner edge of the sandwich ;) ! Fit is excellent and the details are very sharp and crisp. The resin used is of very good quality and able to take a fair bit of "abuse" during construction and cleaning-up, without breaking :D ! The wire-reinforced plastic tube simulates the rivet gun air hose very well and is fully poseable, as I have shown in my built-up example. At the end of the review, my built-up version of the kit has some additions to bring it as close to the painting as I can make it. The "Mein Kampf" book is made from Magicsculpt, the face shield and shield frame from scrap clear plastic and etched brass. I hope you all like it as much as I did in bringing this review to you. Cheers !
    Kenneth.

[IMG]

Attached Files:

2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for posting Kenneth (y)
    I don't recall seeing this kit before, thanks!
  3. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    I might have to get this kit. What a cool little piece. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
  4. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Hi Gordy, Mike,
    Thanks for the support :) ! Yeah, I felt the same way too the moment I saw it for sale online; it's one of those iconic images that stays with you and just calls out to be built ;) ! But, you better get it while it is still available; "Swash Designs" stuff are always limited run only and very popular, especially in Japan (just look at their replacement wheel sets for the motorcycle kits :p - gone in a jiffy !) Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  5. JasonB A Fixture

United-States
    Man, I never paid attention to how buff Norman made Rosie. Its like Vin Diesel wearing a red wig!
  6. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's a nice figure. There JEEP conversion set is a bit steep at £74.
    Carl.
  7. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    HA ! HA ! HA ! That's a good one, Jason ;) ! Triple "X" FTW !!! Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  8. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Hey Carl,
    I'm glad you like the figure (y) ! Yes, their stuff is generally on the "steep" side, I have to agree. However, "Rosie" only costs 1800 JY each, so I think it is worth the price to pay for a quality figure :D. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Too cool!!! What a great idea for a kit!!

All the best,
    Dan
  10. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Thanks, Dan; I'm glad you like the kit review :cool: ! Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  11. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    I got my copy today from Japan. I kinda feel like I have a little piece of history in my hands. My Rosie is post marked 3-11-11, we will know this date forever. When my Rosie was shipped Japan was in a much different position and circumstance. I look at the date and can only think of what has been lost not what I have just received. I watch the TV and see the stories of the heroes and the defeated and just can't believe what I am watching. Rosie was our WWII motivator for the U.S against Germany & Japan. Perhaps Rosie has a new message for us now...
    kaz6120, housecarl and gordy like this.
  12. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Poignant Mike (y)