1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Rorke's Drift bust- finished

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Nov 8, 2009.

1. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Excellent paintjob on a lovely bust, Tony!
    Congratulations on a well done job!
    All the best,
    Eddy
  2. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    I can here the faroff chants of the Zulu Impi as they echo through the surrounding valleys, once again to battle lads the day grows long!

Very nicely done, mate and thanks for posting the reds came out great. RobH. :D
  3. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    That's looking just GREAT Tony!!! Bravo!!!!

Ray ;)
  4. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony, excellent painting, a great finish to a great bust, well done.

Cheers Ken
  5. el cid New Member

Canada
    Tony,
    As usual, very very nice work -always enjoy your work on here.
    Love the reds, the skin tones and the light source you have created. You have really brought this bust to life.
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Eddy, Rob, Ray, Ken, and Steve,

Thanks guys, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on my bust.
  7. Willem Member

South-Africa
    Very nice!

I cannot wait to order mine.

Willem
  8. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Cracking job Tony , whats next?

Cheers David
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Willen, thanks and I hope you do buy it. You wont regret it.;)

Hi Dave, thanks very much mate.:D

My next project is a 120mm Royal Marine Commando from the Falklands War, produced by The Imperial Gallery.:) I bought this kit at Euro and just loved it. The Falklands War is a not particularly well covered subject in figure modelling terms and I wanted to have a go at it.

I've pinned the limbs, filled the gaps, primed him and started to paint the face. I was drawn to this figure because British DPM camoflague is so complex and I wanted a real challenge.:eek: I'll post some pics in a day or two.

Attached Files:

10. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    nice work on this super bust !

And i'll follow your New figure with interest

Mark

:)
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking forwards to your next project, Tony. It will be interesting to see how you tackle DPM.
    Can't wait,
    Carl.
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Carl,

I'm planning to start an SBS on painting British DPM in Vallejo acrylics to help other Planeteers. When you break it down into its various elements and approach it methodically, its not quite so scary.

There are a few SBS's on painting British DPM available on other sites, but as far as I can tell there's nothing recent on pF.
  13. MAXIMO Active Member

Venezuela
    Hi Tony
    very nice painting work. This is one of my favorite period...

Adriano
  14. dinovision79 Active Member

Great paintng Tony, I like how you handled the face and reds.

Thanks
    Denes
  15. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Exellent job on the bust Tony.
    Love the look of that Marine from the Falklands war, funnily enough i saw the original sculpt of the 120mm Argentine marine sculpted by Maurice Corry sell for £92 the other day on E-bay, he would have went well with this figure, bargain for a M.Corry original sculpt.

Steve
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Adriano, thanks mate. I too have always liked the Zulu Wars as a subject. I must have watched "Zulu" hundreds of times throughout my life, so it was a "no brainer" to do this bust. I only wish it was still possible to get the 120mm Tiny Trooper figures based on the movie.

Thanks Denes, tricky colour red. Luckily Dave Maddox stepped in and advised me to mix some green into my shade colours and it really worked. I'm glad you like it.

Hi Steve, thanks for your comments on the bust mate. As a sculptor, Maurice Corry's up there with the best. I remember the Falklands period quite well and it's always surprised me that there aren't more figures from that period. Thankfully most of the Falkland figures I've seen in 120mm are excellent quality.

It was quite a toss up for me to select this figure over the other Imperial Gallery figure, the iconic Royal Marine radio operator with the Union Flag flapping in the wind.