1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Ronin

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Kevin D., Jun 19, 2007.

1. Kevin D. Active Member

United-States
    This is the Ronin that was sculpted by Roy Hunt. I picked up my first Bronze award at Tulsa with this figure. Bob Bethea worked with me on the base and thanks to Rick Rutter and Bob for critquing my piece as I went!Thoughts and comments are welcome!

Ronin Shots 006.jpg

Ronin Shots 014.jpg

Ronin Shots 015.jpg

Ronin Shots 017.jpg

Ronin Shots 018.jpg

Ronin Shots 021.jpg

Ronin Shots 024.jpg

Ronin Shots 026.jpg

Ronin Shots 037.jpg

Ronin Shots 038.jpg
  2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nicely done, I particularly like the color choice and the groundwork.
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I could go on for hours about judging. This is one figure I saw at Tulsa that should of taken Gold. Excellent work Kevin. I look forward to seeing your next figure.
  4. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Definately a nice job , with care and attention . I like the presentation also . Well done ! maybe a higher better award was to be given...
  5. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    A great piece of work indeed. Beautiful color choice and interesting groundwork. I will agree with Major_Goose on the award.

Xenofon
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Kevin,
    This is extemely well painted. I did it myself but your's is much better. Maybe on another show a gold. It has to be.

marc
  7. Roc Active Member

United-States
    From what I can see from the pictures you did a good job, keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc
  8. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    This looks real nice. Those folds are really well managed in paintin' 'em. This is great.
  9. moore Active Member

United-States
    Kevin,
    What a beautiful piece. Like everyone said.. great color choices and
    the shade and highlights are really nice.
    The bamboo is especially nicely done.

I love the ground work.

It is nice isn't it to have some folks help you along and give you
    tips. I think that has been most helpful to me also.

dee
  10. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Kevin,
    I admired this guy while in Tulsa. I was excited to see Roy's piece in person for the first time, and you did a bang-up job on him. Keep 'em comin'!

Jay H.
    OKC
  11. Joe Hudson Active Member

United-States
    Hey Kevin,

I too saw it in Tulsa and have to say I think it looks better in person than the pictures. Keep up the good work.

Joe
  12. Cvikings67 Member

United-States
    Very nice.
    Chris C
  13. Kevin D. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks very much y’all!

I appreciate the kind words! Getting any recognition for this first piece in a show was great and, considering the quality of the work y’all put out, if you also think it deserved something, that is praise indeed. Thank you!

Marc, I saw your piece on the planet after I had posted this one. I think it is great and I LOVE the shirt!! I chickened out on trying to do a pattern.

Dee, I found Bob and Rick’s help to be invaluable! My time is limited due to strange work hours but I really see the value of being in a club or group that trades ideas. Thanks to all in the Tulsa show who allowed me to pick their brains for new techniques.

Jay, my next piece will rely heavily on some of the ideas you gave me in our conversation of your bust. Unless I chicken out again… My ideas are sometimes waaaaaay beyond my skill level LOL

Guy, I’m using your “reds” concept on a 54mm piece right now… just having fun experimenting with the colors and results.

If Bob B or Rick R read this, Thank you both very much! Bob and I discussed our ideas of a base and he blended both into a great concept while showing me how to actually make a much better base than I would have created. (I had to paint it twice before it came up to the quality it deserved in my eyes.) His critiques of the Ronin took me away from my comfort zone with very pleasing results. Rick stopped his shopping and looking in a recent show when we met to take me aside and begin the explanation of exaggeration of colors and blending, using the art at the show as examples of his explanations… invaluable! Thanks both!!!!

Joe, good to finally meet you! Our “painting eyes” conversation is about to be tested.

Thanks all for your comments, it makes me want to try again! J
  14. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Great

Hi Kevin
    Love your figure, great colours.
    Pere