1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Ronin 3D bust by Hellbender Museum

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by yellowcat, Sep 27, 2022.

1. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Everyone,

Here is my review of the Ronin 3D bust by Hellbender Museum, printed and offered by El Greco.

IMG_0371a (2)3.jpg

P3b.jpg

Detail of the release

Title: Ronin 3D Bust
    3D Printable STL file: Hellbender Museum
    Scale: 1:9
    Printed by: El Greco under licence from HM
    Material & no. of pieces: 5 dark grey resins
    Order from: EL Greco

IMG_0013a.jpg

parts2.jpg

The Ronin 3D bust from El Greco arrives in a brown sturdy cardboard box with parts housed in zip lock bags and bubble wrap pouches for protection. It consists of 5 dark grey resin printed parts: Body, 2 hands, sword and a plinth. The height including the plinth is approximate 140mm.

Here are the printed parts.

Parts View
    IMG_0301a4.jpg

Head and upper body
    head10b.jpg

body1e.jpg

Body2a.jpg

Body3a.jpg

Body4a.jpg

Continued in the next post..........
    Martin64, Tommy Brown, Oda and 2 others like this.
  2. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    ..........Continued from previous post

Hands arms and katana
    hand6.jpg

IMG_0218a2a.jpg

IMG_0220a3a.jpg

IMG_0221a2a.jpg

IMG_0224a3a.jpg

IMG_0226a1a.jpg

IMG_0232a1a.jpg

IMG_0238a2a.jpg

IMG_0243a2a.jpg

The plinth
    Plaith2.jpg

Final thoughts:

The 3D printed bust by Hellbender Museum is superbly sculpted with great detail and likeness of Japanese actor Toshrio Mifune in the movie Yojimbo and Sanjuro. There are only a couple of inaccuracies in the sculpt. The left thumb should be on the side of the tsuba as shown in my references otherwise the thumb will be sliced when drawing the blade as indicated in the bust and also the saya/scabbard is a bit too long.
    The kit is excellent printed by El Greco. The parts are sharp, smooth, crisp and clean and are perfectly snug fit together and no moulding line to clean.
    3D printed figure kits are hollow inside with small parts printed in solid. Since it is hollow the bust is light in weigh and feels like a styrene plastic kit. They are more brittle and fragile than casting parts. My kit arrived with a broken wakizash handle. While taking pictures for this review I accidentally snap off the katana tsuba in half. Personally I would not purchase any small scale 3D printed kits.
    Overall a beautiful impressive looking kit and good value for the money. You can order the bust directly from El Greco.

My Rating Summary:

R5d5.jpg

A short video of the 3D Bust
    To view full screen, click on the vimeo logo to access full screen
    and then click on the full screen icon.

Thank you for looking!
    Cheers!
    Felix

yellow.jpg

References:

y5.jpg Sanjuro.png headerphoto129211a.jpg 241561050_1446026632442229_5021299271013828325_n2.jpg

ka1c.jpg

ka2c.jpg

ka3a.jpg

215679572_10159818003709459_6234751525039916412_n.jpg

8005b55e1882cd53ae09b75fb96f3c26.jpg

9d41853f2b940acf492a95cb4f3495f3.jpg

228132458_259041379394052_2083520556443372397_n.png
    Rob, Martin64, Nap and 7 others like this.
  3. Banjer A Fixture

England
    Great review and useful references Felix.

This is the first 3D print I have purchased and agree it seems fragile. Not sure I will get it painted without having to stick something back on but we'll see. Good bust for a reasonable price.

Bill
    yellowcat likes this.
  4. pinsel123 Active Member

hello
    very sweet modelling like it cheers
  5. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Excellent review…hits all the right buttons for judging purchase
    yellowcat likes this.
  6. Oda A Fixture

Gorgeous bust and one hell of a review as usual by Felix.

Oda.
  7. Tommy Brown Active Member

Thanks Felix for another colossus review. Nice short video on "How to draw the katana" explains where the left thumb should be on the tsuba.
    Oda likes this.
  8. BRAN Active Member

France
    Excellent review, thank you so much Yellowcat !!
    Oda likes this.
  9. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Felix

Apologies somehow missed this , the subject is right up your street for sure , honestly reviewed , great pictures of the resin and references ....amazing info on all the parts of the sword

For sure this will paint up well and make a good display piece

Thanks for sharing and taking the time

Nap
  11. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    In the video, the thumb is shown in that position, to initiate the movement of removing the blade from the scabbard (Apologies for using the incorrect terminology). Maybe that's what the sculptor tried to depict.
  12. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Henk,

Thank you for your comment regarding the thumb position in the video.

In the video it shows the thumb is on the side of the tsuba while the kit's thumb is in front of the tsuba and center on the saya.

In order to illustrate this, I took some screen shots from the video and also I took some pictures with my katana to compare with the kit.

Screen shots from the video. Thumb is on the side of the tsuba.

untitled1a copy.jpg

The first row of pictures are taken from the kit. When compare with the second row with my katana with same thumb position as the kit, the thumb will be sliced when the thumb push forward in order to unsheathe the katana.
    The third row of pictures indicate the correct position of the thumb that is on the side of the tsuba. When the thumb push forward to unsheathed the katana the thumb will not be sliced.

IMG_0014f.jpg

giphy.gif
    Rob, Henk, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Felix

Thanks for taking the time to show the last post and details, fascinating to see and learning again

Nap
  14. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes, Thank you for the detailed explanation Felix. As a self confessed rivet counter on Armoured Vehicle models, I understand and appreciate your dedication and efforts.

( I was most unimpressed when Dragon released a new Pz.Kpfw. IV variant, and molded the proud sitting, square headed bolt heads that bolt down the transmission cover, as flush fitting, slot headed screw heads...:eek:;) )

Please keep up your sterling work.

Henk
  15. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Henk,
    This is in point of fact on kenjutsu Japanese swordmanship and nothing to do with rivet counting.
    Nap and Banjer like this.