1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Ron Mueck at the Brooklyn Museum of Art

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by thegoodsgt, Jan 8, 2007.

1. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
  2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Very nice, thanks for the links.

Cheers
    Roc
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Steve - Thanks for the posting!

All the best,
    Dan
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Steve, that would be cool to see. If you poked around, especially in the sculpting section you'd probably find a number of threads talking about Ron Mueck's work. Duane hansen is another "realist sculptor". Actually, most if not all of his stuff are lifecasts of real people. A number of his pieces are the same models just clothed or in different situations.~Gary
  5. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Gary, I remember coming across Duane Hansen's work when I took an intro to art course in college. Amazing stuff, too.

As an aside, I tried to search pF for threads about Mueck, but I kept getting an error.
  6. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    he's amazing !
  7. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Hey Steve, thanks for the post. This is really something. I'm fascinated by this art. Last year we had an exhibit in our local Springfield, MA art museum by a local woman, Lisa Lichtenfels, who does soft sculpture (fabric) figures. They were unbelieveable. I even bought her book. Here's a link to her site, FYI

Lisa's Site
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Actually a transplanted local. She's from my hometown of Erie, Pa. Though she graduated years before me, we both studied commercial art at the same technical highschool. Our local art museum has a multi figure scene she did based on her experiences working at a local diner. If you go to Amazon and type in her name you'll see there is a book showcasing her work. Her technique was developed over several years and it's amazing what she's doing with fabric.~Gary
  9. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    I was lucky enough to catch Ron's exhibition in Edinburgh. His figures are amazing, tiny people, giant babiesand huge masks but all incredibly lifelike! I would recommend anyone who can to go and see it.
    Scotty.
  10. Jeff Active Member

United-States
  11. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    OK guys, I hate to drag this one out of the basement, but I just have to share this. I had the opportunity to see Mueck's work in person this weekend and it is simply OUTSTANDING! This guy is possibly one of the most tallented artists who's work I've had the distinct pleasure of seeing. I have to admit, the rest of the museum with Warhol, Stella and Picasso paled in compairison (I know, I love all those great modern artists as well, but it just seemed to pale in comparison after seeing this work). The Modern in Ft. Worth had several galleries dedicated to his work as well as the "pregnant woman" video showing at the end. What stunners some of these pieces are. The way they aranged the pieces in the large galleries really lended to the emphasis of each piece. They all had plenty of room and in some cases, so much room it lent a spooky isolation to some (there was a newborn baby, about 1/2 scale isolated on one enormous wall all by itself. It was almost scary to see that little piece of innosense isolated on that vast wall. It just sucked you right in.) You absolutely have to see this artists work in person if you get the opportunity. Absolutely worth it. The attention to detail, even in the grand scales he achieves is stunning. Goose bumps, hair folicles, the slightest perfectly placed wrinkles, perfectly sculpted and perfectly painted......I could go on. Mueck has to be appreciated for several things that his work belies as well. There was a small section devoted to his sketches, studies and preliminary sculps. This guy defies artistic tallent. Sculpting, painting, concept, illustration, engineering, mold making, WOW! All I can say is go see it! It's well worth the fee of admission. As you can maybe tell, I was blown away!

I would love to post the hundreds of pictures I took of this exhibit here on the Planet, but sadly they are all in my minds eye. They would not allow ANY photography in the display! (I can understand flash being prohibited, but I sure wish I could have snapped a few without the flash!)

Now, how does this apply here.......other than being outstanding art, sculpture and painting, I started to notice many things about his work that I employ when painting figure. In particular, he employs gloss and matt finishes to an outstanding degree. There was a newborn baby, probably 20 feet long, and she had smudges of blood perfectly smeered on her in gloss red, in contrast to her largely matt skin. The large mask of an African-American woman employed our "overhead" lighting painting technique to perfection. Even in the huge scale she represented on the wall. The beauty of these pieces is that they were equaly as fascinating from 30 feet as they were from 1 foot! From afar they held a fascinating erie presence. From 1 or 2 feet, they revealed perfectly placed individual hairs, moles, blemishes, and subtle variations of tone and lighting. I digress, I'll stop blathering there and let you decide for yourselves.

http://www.mamfw.org/onview.html

Jay H.
    OKC