1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Romeo news

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by ltom74, Oct 14, 2005.

1. ltom74 Member

Hungary
    [IMG]
    54MM FIGURES
    KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF SAINT JOHN, XIII CENT
    Sculped by Gianni La Rocca

[IMG]
    54MM FIGURES
    ROMAN HYPPICA GYMNASIA
    Sculped by Gianni La Rocca

[IMG]
    54MM FIGURES
    CSA, LT. OF ARTILLERY, 1862
    Sculped by Maurizio Bruno

Red Lancer
  2. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    I really like them all, but if I wanted to buy one.. I would get the CSA, LT. OF ARTILLERY, 1862.

Xenofon
  3. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi

I agree with Xenofon, The CSA Figure would be the one for me, I do feel that Romeo Models doesn’t get the recognition they deserve, their figures are wonerfully sculpted, beautifully cast and very well finished a credit to them...
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dave,

I agree with you. I have done some Romeo figures. The casting and sculpting is as good as Pegaso.Highly recommendid.

marc
  5. nagashino New Member

Hi all

Yes, I agree - Romeo figures are very nice. Well sculpted, interesting subjects and nicely packaged. I'm making a pig's ear of one of theirs at the moment :(

I think I would go for the CSA officer too.

Cheers

Phil
  6. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    I find the CSA officer the one for me.
    That I can see from the picture is the sculpting and pose good,
    and the face very nice. So, I would go for that one.

Eddy
  7. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    The Confederate is quite. I think the arm holding the binoculars look a bit stiff, but the might just be the box art. The figure has lots of potential.
  8. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    The Roman is interesting. Different from the generic run of the mill legionairre we see so much of... Not sure how accurate it is...

The stance is a bit too boring... and I say that being a big La Rocca fan, too. :)

Keith
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    These figures, though nice, easily fall into the "been there, done that" catagory. The Confederate offficer is okay, though I have a few small nit picks. The kepi is terrible, it just does not have that slick shape that kepis have, although they can vary. The other nit pick is the sash. I do not understand what the obsession is to always have a Civil War officer figure wearing one. It may look okay with an early war subject or an officer that does not serve in a front line capacity, but as you get later into the war it serves as nothing more than a sign that says "Hey shoot me, I'm an officer". IMHO a Civil War figure without items like a sash and all the hat brass and other insignia are more accurate. Though Union and Confederate uniforms had a French or Austrian influence, this figure looks more European than Confederate to me for some reason.~Gary
  10. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have to agree with you Gary, I just don't like firing the first salvo on these sites (veteran of too damn many flame wars!)
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Matt, The thing is, I'm far from an authority on the subject, and I really only comment on American subjects. I'm sure I probably come off as an obnoxious know it all to some. The sculpting on a lot of these figures is normally above average. For me, I have a hard time praising a piece that while it may be nicely sculpted that's about where it ends. We can choose to either care or not care about the accuracy of a piece, and I respect whatever side of the fence a person sits on. Reference material may be hard but not impossible to come by. I just get a little irritated when companies produce pieces that are so bad there is NO excuse for the final product they are trying to sell. One piece that is a disappointment for example is Latorre's Minutemen vignette. Though the clothing may not be very accurate, there is NO excuse to give them percussion muskets/rifles. Would it be okay to give a WW1 doughboy an M1, or a WW2 GI an M16? There would be a line of folks just waiting to comment that these weapons did not exsist. To me this is nothing more than using available weapons and accessories from other kits and cutting corners to make $$$. So if anyone thinks I'm looking to single out their favorite manufacturer or sculptor that's not my intention at all. The bottom line is that we get enjoyment out of a hobby/art we all share, whatever your opinions may be.~Gary
  12. nberrington Member

Canada
    The clothing on the knight is superbly done - look at the fall of the folds!

It does however remind me a bit of Laruccia's version (90mm Soldiers) - but otherwise this is a super piece.
  13. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Keep the comments and critiques coming, I say. :)

I had similar thoughts on the sash. Kinda like the new second looie leaving his bar on for his frist patrol. " Shoot me sign, indeed" :lol:

We cannot know everything about all periods so comments by the knowledgable are welcomed!

Keith
  14. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary, as I said in the Art Girona thread, I agree with virtually everything you said on that thread and what you said about the Confederate on this thread; I do not think you are a know it all, you have spotted things I have not. That having been said, I am still planning on getting the most of the figures from the AG thread (someday) and I might just get this Confederate, eventhough I think he is a bit contrived.
  15. Evan August New Member

I don't know about the Confederate, but I really like that knight!