1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Romeo new release

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Roc, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Red Lancer

ROMEO MODELS
    54MM FIGURES
    WILD WEST BOUNTY HUNTER
    Sculpted by Gianni La Rocca.

[IMG]

Cheers

Roc :)
  2. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Cool figure, very "hollywood" though. People just did not dress like this in the "real" Old West. I am afraid that all of those movie westerns have had a deleterious effect on what some think people actually looked like back then.

So, I would have to classify this figure as fantasy, rather than historical.

However, it is a GREAT fantasy figure!

Bonehead
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have to agree with Mike on this one. I've had similiar conversations with Joe Hudson about this very subject. A lot of these figures look as if they just stepped out of a low budget shoot em up western. I'm not trying to start another accuracy thread (one was more than enough for me) and unless the "Hollywood" look is what they want those manufacturers that want to produce figures from this period have a lot of homework to do. Here's an images of a group of cowboys c.1890. I just do not ubderstand why these figures are not depicted as they appeared. Documentation has been easier to find with access to the internet, so that can't be an excuse for producing something so "tacky".~Gary
  4. amherbert Member

It's the old problem that to most people, the figure looks like a cowboy. The coat is pretty, and the figure looks 'cool'.

Heck, we see figures of WW2 characters that are inaccurate, Clint Eastwood, the Duke and others have the look people now expect of cowboys.

Thanks for posting the picture of some real folks!

Andy
  5. Kandor8 Active Member

United-States
    Hi Guys,
    I agree with the "Hollywood" look to the figure and all, but I wanted to address the photo of the "real deal" that was posted. If you'll notice, all of these fellow's hat brims are turned up in the front. This is probably not how these guys wore them all the time. The photographer more than likely had them turn up their brims to prevent their faces from being obscured when the flash powder went off or, if outside, the sun casting shadows. Now, the photo can't be beat for depicting what they wore but I can't help but wonder if they ALL wore their hats that way all the time. I only mention this because even photographs of the time might contain an element of inaccuracy. After reading how Brady and Gardner posed Civil War dead to get a better shot I started not to depend on period photos as a sole accurate benchmark but as one phase of whatever research was required.

Anyway, off my soapbox now. The figure in question will appeal to non-painters who will want buy it completed by their favorite painter. So don't be surprised if finished versions of this sell at futures shows.

Best!
    Ric :lol:
  6. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Interesting discussion! I am glad that this did not turn into a flame war. I will repeat again for those who missed it: I think this is a great figure! Great pose, great look and really nice sculpting. But I have to admit that the "Buffalo Bill" look does not appeal to me from a historical standpoint.

I would also like to make an important note about those "studio" photos which were so common at the time. Although this may not be the case with the particular photo that Gary posted, people in those photos are frequently "jazzed up" with guns, chaps, gun belts and all manner of paraphenalia that the photographer kept in the studio for this very purpose. So even photos from the period can mislead us as to the true appearance of your average cowboy or resident of these western communities.

As with any historical subject, it pays to do research! It could be argued that the figure is all "jazzed up" to make it an appealing subject to paint. I am sure that it will sell better than a more accurately depicted figure might. But again, I have to say that this choice makes the model a great fantasy figure and not a reasonable historical one.

Mike
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ric, I agree and disagree. I have pictures of other cowboys with their hat brims pushed up and others not, sometimes a mix of both. The "posing" of the dead, like in the case of the "Devil's den sharpshooter" was done purely for dramatic effect to get the most commercial success from it. Additionally there are several Civil War photos of soldiers with their forage cap brims turned up. At some point there are bound to be cases where this is how some men wore their hats, regardless that the brim helped to shield the face from the sun. I'm not suggesting that people use these photographs and these alone to base a figure on. It is however one of the better places to start rather than pulling out your favorite western film and getting your figure from there.~Gary
  8. D.Lesko Member

I’m very far from being an expert on the American West so maybe I’m not understanding this. How can people be certain that cowboys in the west did not dress like depicted in this figure? It’s not like there is a uniform for being a cowboy and some people are more flamboyant then others, who is to say that some people did not like long coats and rifles slung across their backs? I’m sure this was not the typical style of dress but how can we say no one ever dressed this way? Thanks guys.
  9. Kandor8 Active Member

United-States
    Gary-
    Exactly my point, never depend on one source of reference if it can be helped. But, by the same token, before someone points this out, don't get bogged down in research as well. Don't forget... we all came to paint! :lol:

It IS a cool looking figure, I'll probably do one as a gift or something.

Salute!
    Ric ;)
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    We all have different ideas as to what makes a good figure. While I'm far from an expert (on any period) myself I just do not think it has that period "look". For me the figure is no more than the stereotypical cowboy/ gunslinger type. Enjoy.~Gary
  11. D.Lesko Member

I do think it's a cool looking figure but i could do without all the bullets criss-crossing his chest. Looks like an 19th century "Punisher" or something. I do like the look of the overall figure though. I just think its hard to say that this type of clothing was not worn when we are talking about the American West. There were so many people and personalilties and no uniform so, to me, its anything goes, to a certain extent.
  12. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Well i am not sure if i am on the same boat with all others. I mean sometimes i just wanna paint a figure that i like to see without many question on the accuracy . And i say this, cause 99% of figures, i see, and presumed to be accurate are not . And especially takling in ancient Greek warriors not matter what the company is all miniatures have faults. From tiny to huge. But people paint them in big respect and present them in shows without complaining for their accuracy . And these times were surely most strict on dressing codes .

So i think That to a cowboy or a west character that things are in a more loose way of seeing it, i wou;ldnt care prettyy myvh if the details are ok , if i would have nice sculpting, nice pose, good casting quality , nice accessories and the rest .

Just my 1 euro

Costas
  13. Tarok Active Member

Australia
    Well, I don't know much about the "Wild West", and don't even enjoy westerns, but I think it makes for an interesting gun-slinger!

IMHO the figure lends itself for a nice conversion to a Boer...

Rudi