1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Romeo: Iroquois in the Castle

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by AJLaFleche, Mar 29, 2013.

1. AJLaFleche Active Member

Here is Romeo’s 75mm “Iroquois in the Castle.” It is based on a Robert Grifffing painting. The back story is that the French told the native people they were building a trading post at the site of Fort Niagara overlooking Lake Ontario. When the native people saw the castle with its 3 foot thick walls, they realized this was to be more than a trading post and that their way of live was coming to an end. To emphasize this, I experimented in painting the scene with angled lighting coming through the window as opposed to my usual zenithal light. To emphasize this, I added a title plaque calling this “Iroquois Sunset” for both the time of day depicted and the history. Griffing added a chair to fill the space along the wall and I was able to find one in scale from Walthers by way of my LHS. The wall and floor were extended with foam, railroad cobble stone stock and spackle to fit the Birch Tree Enterprises base. I cut acetate to size for each window pane and used pastels to cast the window frame shadow on the wall behind it.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Jamie Stokes, balder, NickM and 4 others like this.
  2. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    FIW, (or thereabouts), isn't my sphere of interest, but what a wonderful job! Absolutely everything from the paintwork to the setting is sheer class.
    (y)
    Cheers
    H
  3. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Beautifully done AJ. Great textures throughout and a great story. Lots of subtle detail and the shadow is absolutely convincing (y)
    The only thing I personally feel is that the black on the 'cut' of the wall draws the eye too much.
    I think it would be better with a darker tone of the wall surface.
    Cheers
    Derek
  4. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think this is one of your best works AJ, I remember this piece when it was released, you have done a great job on it and in particular I like the way you have painted the leggings and flesh. The additions to the basework really add to the scene.

Good to see your work again,great job,
    Steve
  5. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    AJ,
    Really nice setting and painted very well. Very atmospheric.
    Cheers
    John
  6. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Sorry Duplicate.
  7. AJLaFleche Active Member

Thanks for all the nice comments.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work, but the highlight's on the sixpack could be more subtile. It's to hard in my opinion.

Marc