1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Romeo 90 mm knight

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Alex, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Hi all,

This is my first ever figure.. 90 mm knight from Romeo. Bought it on eBay.

I have a background of oil painting on canvas so it's not my first time I'm using a paint brush of course.

Figure was primed than partially assembled. Fitting was quite good.

Blocking done with acrylics (Jo sonja's)

Helmet is almost done but will receive a lot of gold and etched details that will get painted later on. Helmet is : silver acrylic then carbon black wash then a little bit of oil prussian blue then oil metallics then a little bit of ivory black.. And I'm almost there.

I'm going for a very limited palette here in terms of color but red cloth will get a lot of fine detailing and heraldry as will the shield and all pieces of the suit of armor.

Thanks for looking,

Alex

Attached Files:

Guy likes this.
  2. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    That figure makes me want to buy it and paint it!.
    I think i am not ready to paint metal armour yet,but what you've done looks terrific so far.
  3. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    looks good.
  4. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Looks great so far, as you say, you have a bit to go on it yet. A bit more shading will really make it POP. Would love to see some closer pics so we can see the detail.
    Ben
  5. Jazz A Fixture

England
    With a background of oil paint on canvas I am sure you will do this just great. Your talking about oil washes just makes me want to get up and paint right now. Go for it!! (y)
  6. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks for the comments. Yes he is at a very early stage of painting.

Yesterday, first coat of oil was applied to cloth : W&N Bright red toned down with Prussian Blue for shadows and highlighted with Naples Yellow for basic highlights. A lot to do but I'm letting this coat dry before.

Will attack all metallic parts today in order to render everything like I did on the helmet.

Thanks all !

Alex

Attached Files:

7. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    After playing a little bit with my camera and putting a gray background, here are some close ups

Thanks

Alex

Attached Files:

8. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    The figure already looks amazing,i like the work on the helmet
  9. fmargem Active Member

Brazil
    Great shading mate! Keep on track and it´ll be an amazing figure!
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    very good work if i can see it clearly on the somewhat dark pictures.

marc
  11. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    A little update.

I have painted the face (oil over acrylic). Still some work to be done. I like the lower part of the face but there's something wrong with the eyes. Look too dark to me. Also, I'm not seeing enough of the upper eyelids.. Feel free to comment.

Finally, I have use some Squadron green stuff in order to fill some gaps but I find the stuff very brittle even once it's completely dry. Is it safe for metal figures or do you suggest another putty ? I want something that will stick a lot to the metal.

Thanks !

Alex

Attached Files: