1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review "romans" By Stef Verstraaten - Excellent Reference Pictorial

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Ferris, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Hi All,

For my birthday I received this book that I want to share with you, as I think it is a brilliant source of inspiration and reference for painters and sculptors of Roman figures.

The book is titled "Romans - Clothing from the Roman era in North-West Europe" and consists mainly of photographs of Roman re-enactors by Dutch pro photographer Stef Verstraaten. Every picture is accompagnied by a brief text in Dutch and English that describes what is depicted and its historical accuracy.

What really sets this book apart from other reference works are its size (38 cm x 30 cm) and the quality of the approximately 180 full colour photographs. Pictures are not only beautiful and inspirational, they are all made under controlled studio lighting conditions that are ideal for figure painters. Because of this the book is excellent for studying where lights, shades and transitions should be painted.

Another original feature is the inclusion of quite some civilian subjects.

I am really happy with this book and highly recommend it to fellow painters of roman figures. And...I really hope Adriano Laruccia gets a copy.

Now, let's show some pictures and judge by yourself.... Enjoy!

Adrian

PS: I hope this warm recommendation makes the publisher forgive me for showing some of the surely copyrighted pictures (only a few of the 180+)....

IMGP7940.JPG IMGP7941.JPG IMGP7942.JPG IMGP7944.JPG IMGP7946.JPG IMGP7948.JPG IMGP7950.JPG IMGP7951.JPG IMGP7953.JPG IMGP7955.JPG IMGP7956.JPG

Attached Files:

MCPWilk, Einion, 1969 and 12 others like this.
  2. Tarracus A Fixture

That's a fantastic source of reference material, Although a little expensive for most modelers (already battered)pockets
  3. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow superb looking book. Even the horses look like they should've looked like back then........erm I think.;)

Really good photography mate on this mate.
    Cheers,
    Gells
  4. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Wow!! Great stuff!
  5. maco61 A Fixture

Italy
    Great Book!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Where can I buy it?
    Ciao by Maco
  6. Helm A Fixture

England
    Very nice book indeed

Steve
  7. Ferris A Fixture

8. Ferris A Fixture

9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ferris ,

WOW .......what a present and superb reference material ...a book thats heading for my shelves for sure ..thanks for posting and the links

Nap
  10. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    fortuna dies natalis

seems to be an interesting book
    thanks for the info
  11. Ferris A Fixture

Gratias tibi ago Mirofsoft!

Adrianus
  12. maco61 A Fixture

Italy
  13. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Now that is something I will find useful, will be getting one of these, thanks for pointing it out Adrian.

Steve
  14. Einion Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time to post a review with all these pics Adrian, looks like an awesome reference (y)

Einion
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys,

My copy arrived today.....a massive book , top quality printing and what a great reference this is ...its superb .............

couldn't hide it from Mrs Nap though ..took 2 postman to carry it to the door!!!!!!

Happy days

Nap