1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Roman Vexillifer, 75mm Pegaso

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Oct 9, 2012.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

A simple base and groundwork to set off my Vexillifer, and now he's done.

Must say this has been one of the best figures I've ever painted and the results are very pleasing.

I'm really happy with how the vexillum and shield design came out too. Quite a challenge for me and I'm ready to face my next challenge. Thanks to everyone who commented on my WIP thread.

IMG_5569.JPG IMG_5570.JPG IMG_5571.JPG IMG_5572.JPG IMG_5573.JPG IMG_5574.JPG
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work Tony.

marc
  3. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Brilliant job, Tony!
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice job Tony. I'd be more than chuffed with that. Did you freehand the shield?

- Steve
  5. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Tony very nice-the hairy legs and shield do it for me!

Keith
  6. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Tony,
    This came out beautiful and the shield is great as is the banner.
    Cheers
    John
  7. Ferris A Fixture

Great job all round Tony! I particularly like the white tnica and the stripe.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  8. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    He turned out very nice Tony, you should be very pleased. The banner and shield are great.
    I know absolutely nothing about Romans but is he from a division that ran and hid his banner says "LEG IT" :)
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Marc, I'm glad you like it .:)

Cheers Nick, I'll bring the figure along to our club meeting next month mate.(y)

Hi Steve, thanks for your comments. I used Tommi's stencils to create the shapes for the shield design and free-handed the painting of the designs themselves and the banner design.:D

Cheers Keith, gotta love those hairy Romans eh?:love:

Hi John, thanks for your comments. I'm pleased you like the shield and banner. I'm pleased with how they turned out.;)

Hi Adrian, I appreciate your comments. Turns out that the clavii stripes on the tunic probably don't belong on a soldier of this rank, so I can thank the historical research notes from pegaso for that. :( Dr Mike Thomas on MedRom Forum put me straight on the use of clavii, and he's the guru on such matters.:notworthy:

Cheers Andrew, thanks for your comments mate. The banner actually signifies that the figure represents a Vexillfer of the 2nd Aduitrix Legion (Leg II), which was represented by pegasus the flying horse. I think I'll touch up the banner to make that clearer - you're the second person to point out that!!:oops:
    NickM likes this.
  10. Mark S Guest

Beautifully painted, Tony.
    The final result = another great Roman piece for your cohort.
    Well done mate.
  11. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good painting my friend!!
  12. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    An excellent finish Tony congratulations. (y)

Cheers Ken
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Mark, my cohort is filling up fast. I'll soon have a legion of Roman figures in my display case.

Hi Chris, thanks for your comment my friend.

Thanks Ken, I appreciate your comment mate.