1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Roman Tribune Pegaso 75mm

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by pkw4, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Einion Well-Known Member

If it's acknowledged as artistic licence then that's all the reason you need Roberto :)

Since you ask: the figure is marketed as 3rd c. BC; this type of portrait began around the time of Christ - 200, 250 years later.

The portrait you posted, is it from a website? This is hardly an area of expertise for me but it looks like a fully-developed Fayum portrait... sure it's not 2nd century AD?

Einion
  2. pkw4 Active Member

Italy
    Hard to say...I think that we do not know enough to be able to say.

of Encaustic Painting White Flag, 1955 Jasper Johns (American, born 1930) Encaustic and Collage on Panel
    Copyright © 2000–2006 The Metropolitan Museum of Art. All rights reserved. www.metmuseum.org.Encaustic art, or literally “the burning in” of pigments mixed with beeswax and resin is one of the oldest painting techniques that has survived history to tell its’ story. The preservative properties of encaustic painted onto wood panels allows us to date this technique, from surviving funerary panels back to the 2nd century B.C..

Pliny, the Roman historian (23-79 CE), who documented much of Roman life, writes about the use of encaustic in portraiture and decoration, while Homer mentions the use of wax, resin and pigment for the waterproofing, repair and decoration of the Greek warships. Historians have not dated Homer’s life, however his mention of this rudimentary composition of encaustic suggests its’ development as far back as the 5th century B.C.. Pliny mentions two artists that started out as ship painters, and also refers to paintings as “waxes”.

The discovery of the Fayum Funerary paintings were cited as early as 1615, however just prior to the methodical excavations led by Flinders Petrie in 1888, a Viennese antiquities dealer, Theodor Graf, skillfully bought up and began to exhibit a large collection throughout Western Europe and the United States. These beautiful and mysterious paintings caused quite a stir in the art antiquities world, but unfortunately, much of the history of these Greco-Roman style paintings was less clear once these portraits were separated from the mummies they had been attached to for at least 2000 years. It was the discovery and exhibition of these portraits however that piqued the curiosity of 20th century artists and led to a revival in this ancient and once lost art technique.

William Flinders Petrie and others all aided in the establishment of Egyptology as a science, applying scientific techniques to the study of Egypt. Such techniques stemmed from scientific interest in the subject rather than an interest in grave robbing and collecting artifacts. It wasn’t until Auguste Mariette formed the Egyptian Antiquities Service in 1858 that real care in preserving Egyptian cultural heritage started to be taken.
  3. mario Active Member

Brazil
    Amazing work Roberto
    The shield are awesome

Congratulations

Mario
  4. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautiful work Roberto!!!
    chris
  5. schley Active Member

Ireland
    Hi Roberto

It is lovely I really like it .I look forward to seeing it at Welling

John
  6. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Roberto this is really a nice work my friend !!!Bravo

Costas
  7. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    What a great piece of painting. Well done Roberto.

Xenofon
  8. kristo79 New Member

Poland
    Wow, fantastic painting.
  9. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Great painting in every way! From metals to free hand drawing! Congrats.
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Just stunning, and thanks for the bronze recipe.
    Carl.
  11. Aterz Active Member

Italy
    Awesome...another great painting Roberto. The fleshtone,the bronze and the shield are a top level painting. I like this figura and your version is one of the better that I've seen.
    bravo Maestro! :)

regards from Italy
    Andrea :)