1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Roman Signifer bust by Young--complete

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Meehan34, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Here is the latest fun I have finished (can't really call it work). I have been tweaking it for a couple of days so the oil is still a bit wet in a few places. This is a really good kit and ranks up there with all of the fine pieces Young puts out. As always please post any critiques you may have because it only helps me and others get better. Thanks for taking a gander at him.

sig1.JPG

sig2.JPG

sig3.JPG

sig4.JPG
    TWOMOONS, ubbi, mil-mart and 3 others like this.
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He looks great Mike. The extra time you put in on the Lion's head cape shows.......much better.
  3. Nap A Fixture

England
    Signifer

Mike ,
    Nice painting on the animal skin (a bear I think) , plenty of washes in there , personally would push the fleshtones a bit more with shadows , which would give more contrast I feel , nice arour effects as well .

Looking at the pics from the left there is a light area above the scarf on the neck ..might be the pic ..or just me!!!!!

Nap
  4. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Nap, Thank you for looking at it and picking it apart. I am serious this is what I want and need. To be honest I worked that damn face forever and everytime I pushed the shadows I always messed it up. I thought about going lighter on the highlites, do you think that would achieve the same result? As for the light area above the scarf, that has to be the picture because I would never forget to paint an area because I thought it would be hidden. Oops no you're right I didn't paint that area because I thought it would be hidden. As for the skin, yes it is a bear but if Guy says it is a lion then it is a lion.

I really appreciate the critique, and will apply the advice. Thank you!!!!
  5. Mike Stevens A Fixture

United-States
    Nice bust Mike, great metal work.
  6. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Very good overall here Mike, but I have to mention the skin tones as his face is mostly covered, I would have suggested Pruss blue for darks and flesh with some red too a high highlight on the upper cheek bones, especially as you want his face to (a) stand out and (b) contrast with his clothing/armour, this a good effort anyway and great bearskin, helmet metals,chain mail, etc.

Thanks muchly for posting, RobH.:)
  7. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mike great work on the furs and metals also I like the face as it is, wounded and exhausted looking, ties in with the groundwork on the base to give it that End of the battle feel. (y)

Cheers Ken
  8. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    beautiful job Mike , i like the face perhaps just a little bit of shadows and highlights and a little washes with light flesh tones to reduce the white of the eyes , the rest is very well done awesome the bearfur and the metals are beautiful, bravo !!

cheers

stefano
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent brushwork on this beauty. Really great brushwork.

Marc
  10. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the kind words and help fellas. I am going to mess around on the face this evening and see what I can do to improve it. I also see a couple of scrapes from fitting the helmet that need a touchup.

Ubbi; I actually lightened the white of the eyes to make it stand out more because of the brown eyes. Before they were a light flesh color and got lost in the sea of brown that is the color scheme of this guy. Beleive me I follow what you told me back about four figures ago about using a light flesh tone on the white of the eye. It just didn't seem to work with this guy.

I'll post an updated pic if I get him finished tonight.

Thanks again!!
  11. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Mike, great work on this fantastic bust. Congratulations(y)
  12. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Mike:

The sculpting of this bust is one I've admired for a long time. And I think
    your rendering of it is one of the best I've seen. Especially the way you
    painted the long haired animal skin. So many great earth tones yet so
    subtle. I was also particular impressed with your rendering of the side
    armor plate panels over his ears. Love the dissimilar colours in that
    metalic look. Well done.

Lastly, I can certainly see why one post suggested more contrasts in the
    facial tones, shadows of the face, et cetera. However, the way you've
    completed it, works very well for me. Nice photography as well,

Jaybird
  13. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    roman reworked

Thanks fellas for the kind words.

JayHawk my boy! been awhile since you checked out one of my figures, thanks for looking at him and thanks for the super nice things you said. BTW, nice tip toe job around the long haired creature:) I always enjoy reading your posts!!

I did some rework on him per the suggestions and even painted those bare spots, advice is what really will make painters improve their work and I for one really appreciate it. I added more contrast to the face and added some red to his lips and some more highlites on top of that. I also put some highlites in his beard. i think it helped make him better, I hope you think the same.

sigr1.JPG

sigr3.JPG
  14. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    You are welcome, Mike. . .

Hey Mike:

Sorry I don't get to see all of your posts, mate. Old Heimers like me miss
    good things, . . . on occasion. Plus, I'm spending way too much time on the
    'pooter anyway. ;);)

I think the additions you have made to this bust, are well done. As I said
    I liked it the way it was, but yes, you have improved it. I have a lot of trouble
    getting that lower lip color just right so it creates that illusive "illusion of
    reality". . . but we learn by doing, right? You've nailed it.

But really the main reason I wanted to respond again is that your
    presentation of this bust is the first time I've seen the base done in this
    fashion. . . ah. . . I'm not saying first time it's been done, you understand.
    I never would have thought of that. . ha, so what else is new? :p
    But it is very effective and creative. I'll used the popular buzz phrase to
    reveal my thought: "Thinking outside the Box"!! Good show, Mike.
    (y)(y)

The Miami Jayhawk