1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Roman Signifer bust 200mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sebastian22, May 27, 2024.

1. Sebastian22 New Member

Germany
    Almost finished with this bust of a Roman Signifer (1st century AD) by Young Miniatures - need to add the bear’s teeth and the helmet’s strap. Will do that once I am satisfied with the worn look of the leather sword belt & the leather rim of the scales.

Painted with Vallejo Acrylics; helmet & scale armour painted with Green Stuff Chrome colors as a base and finished with Vallejo washes.

IMG_4067.jpeg IMG_4068.jpeg IMG_4461.jpeg IMG_4462.jpeg IMG_4463.jpeg
    clubcat, VerSacrum, Nap and 11 others like this.
  2. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This was the first bust I ever painted - really nice work and a very expressive face!
    Gary
    Sebastian22 likes this.
  3. Briggsy PlanetFigure Supporter

Very nice paint job, I like the bronze scales under the bearskin. The bears head does look a little odd without the teeth.

Cheers Simon
    Sebastian22 likes this.
  4. Looking really good
    Sebastian22 likes this.
  5. Sebastian22 New Member

Germany
    Thank you, Simon! I agree on the bear’s appearance. Will post updates once I have him back his bite
    Briggsy likes this.
  6. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work. If it were mine I'd be inclined to push the shading & highlights a bit more on the bearskin. Or maybe you already have but it's not so apparent from the photos. The flesh tones are fantastic.

- Steve
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Sebastian

Good to see you posting, a nice piece to choose , I agree ref the highs and lows on the bear

Look forward to seeing more inclusive the teeth !

Happy benchtime

Nap
  8. Sebastian22 New Member

Germany
    Hi all. I took your advice to heart and tried to increase the contrast on the bearskin. The bear does also now come with this teeth attached as does the helmet.

I have added first daylight shots of the bust to the collection - will need to find some leisure to make shots in the lightbox to complement the initial WIP shots.

Any other ideas on what I could improve?

In the meantime I have moved on to two busts I found in a garage sale (stay tuned).
    Briggsy and Nap like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Sebastian

With the new pics added in the initial post , teeth and more on the fur ....looks good , I’d put a wash over the helmet personally ...but thats me !

Once your fully finished do share in Completed Forum aswell

The 2 busts from a garage sale sounds intriguing...look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  10. clubcat PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Nice job, Sebastian.
    Melanie
    Sebastian22 likes this.
  11. Briggsy PlanetFigure Supporter

Great finish, not many teeth but they really make a difference, loving the wolf fur. I'll stay tuned for the next two busts.

Cheers Simon
    Sebastian22 likes this.
  12. Sebastian22 New Member

Germany
    Thank you, Nap. Actually, there are two washes applied to the helmet: first with black to highlight the deepest corners, second with gunmetal gray & burned umbra to restore a slight metallic reflection while adding depth.

Most probably I had diluted them too much.

And yes, I have used some cloth to polish the highlights a bit (after I noticed that this works well with the Green Stuff chromatic colours as base).

Will post the two busts separately in WIP - maybe someone can help me to identify one of them
    Nap likes this.