1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Roman officer by Young

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Meehan34, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    This is my latest completed work. It is the white metal version of the Roman Officer 1st cent. AD sculpted by Young. It is a "full figure" when I say that I mean a beefy fella, this guy didn't miss a meal. I want to thank Master Cato for allowing me to take possesion of this fine figure. Any hoo, here are the photo's. Please feel free to post critiques positive or negative as that is the only way to improve. Thanks for taking a gander at him.

roman1.JPG roman2.JPG

roman3.JPG roman4.JPG
    Hardy, ubbi, gothicgeek and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I like the leather. Hope you can share tomorrow.

Mike
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent painting Mike. The leather, the armor and the skin tones are excellent. I keep looking for something to point out that needs improvement but cannot find anything. Cato would be proud.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Great job on a great figure.
    Carl.
  5. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Hi Mike, you can be proud of this , for me is your best till now !! Very beautiful fresh tones and metals, also the leather is very well done , you are still improving your skill , bravo !!

cheers

stefano
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent paintwork.
    I suggest that you go to the eyes again with a very thinned light fleshcolor paint Then the white is not so on the forground as it is know.

Marc
  7. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Goose, No. . . But ahma' takin' a gander. . .

Hello Mike:

Wow, I almost missed this one. Several of the Planeteers have mentioned
    your rendering of the leather 'parts' — for lack of a better word; brain dead
    this morning, ah guess.

But those are of particular note. I've never tried quite that same approach
    and I really like it. You do the facial tones as though the soldier has been
    out in the Sun, wind and weather quite a bit. And for this figure I think that
    more dramatic approach really works well.

Also, I don't know how you achieve that kind of ground cover, terrain. But
    wow, it really looks great, so many colour and neato details.

First Rate, and I almost missed it.

Jayhawker
  8. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    So many different tectures to deal with on this figure and you achieved all to a good result, also like Rick i noticed the groundwork was very nicely done, gives it an autumn feel.

Like Marc i agree the whites of the eyes need toning down but thats just a small critique, nice work.

Steve
  9. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice work Mike on the figure and groundwork, like the other guys I would suggest you rework the eyes,cut down the size and tone down the whites.

Cheers David
  10. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks fellas for the feedback and compliments. I was wondering about the whites of the eyes and glad that you pointed it out. I will glaze them with a light skin tone to bring them down a bit, I remember that I used pure white which was a dumb mistake. i am glad that the groundwork was pleasing, I had such a good time doing it and had to have the wife hide my groundwork materials so I wouldn't over do it. Thanks again for taking a look I truly value all of your opinions.
  11. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Mike, This was even better in person.
  12. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Excellent painted figure Mike!

Marcel.