Roman Legionary, Pegaso 75-018

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by KeithP, Feb 4, 2006.

1. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Here are some in process shots of the Pegaso Legionary that I have been working on. The Lorica and belts mainly done except for the weathering. Same goes for the gladius and helmet.

This is a very nice kit despite the historical bashing that it has received. I really like the scale as that is better for these old eyes.

I had a very difficult time photo'ing the reflective image. There is a lot of detail that is just lost in the pics. Any help on how to take better pics of armor subjects would be welcome.

As always, comments, critiques and suggestion are actively solicited. :)

1 of 4.

Keith

Attached Files:

2. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    2 of 4.

Attached Files:

3. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    The gladius is exceptional.

Attached Files:

4. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Here is the helmet sans cheek guards.

This figure is a real metal dream. Lots of options for metals - steel, iron, tin, brass, copper. It has been alot of fun to paint.

On with the face and tunic...

Thank you for viewing. :)

Keith

Attached Files:

5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful work Keith. I have this figure on the shelf to do and you are right about being loaded with detail. I too, find it hard to bring out the detail with a camera. Keep going with your fantastic work and I may just have to move mine up the list.
  6. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Indeed a beautiful work so far Keith. Weren't you working on a highlander by Latorre I think?? Or I've missed a few episodes??

Xenofon
  7. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Hi Keith,

Your metals look very nice. I also love the way you handled the wooden parts of the grip of the gladius.
    The figure's on my wish list too, so you're an inspiration for me.

Johan ;)
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work Keith.

I like all the metal work you have done.
    Amazing.

marc
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great stuff Keith!!

What are you using for the metalics, it looks fantastic!
  10. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Keith
    You are making great progress
    My rendition is coming along slowly
    its a great kit to work with

As you say plenty of detail

looking forward to seeing more

Frank (y)
  11. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Good work Keith, you are painting my faforite subject matter.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  12. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    I bought this figure almost on the spur of the moment after seeing Diego Ruina's wonderful box art on his web site. After I opened it up, I was initially disappointed as it seemed almost too simple. But, after I started painting it, the detail and quality of the sculpt really jumped out at me.

Guy - Thanks! I think the armor will be a bit less washed out if there is some color next to it - on the tunic, scarf, and flesh. I hope...

Xenofon - yes! Thanks for asking about the Elite Highlander. He and I are both resting from the exertions of the tartan and diced hose effort :lol:

Marc - I appreciate your comments. :)

Anders - Thanks for the comments on the metals. The white metals are all GS Mr. Metals. The brass, copper and gold are printers inks either neat or mixed with various oils or enamels. I am a bit disappointed that the detail did not come out on the pics.

Frank - Post some of your in process shots when you can. I would love to see more versions of this figure.

Johan - Thanks for noting the gladius. It is a very attractive weapon. A thing of beauty for me and a pleasure to paint such a nice piece.

Roc - Thanks. I am glad you checked in on this one. This is the first Roman that I have painted. Likely not the last though :)

Keith
  13. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Dear Keith you are making a good painting job
    continuous and make to see the progresses.

The Gladio is optimal.

Good Job ;)

MAB
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Keith, Nice job on the painting. I do like the variety of metals on the figure.~Gary
  15. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Maurizio- I appreciate your comments. Your fellow sculptors at Pegaso are doing quite an excellent job! (y)

Gary - I really enjoy painting up the metals. :)

Keith
  16. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Keith,
    a great start to a great figure! Your metal work is very nice so far!

Jay H.
    OKC
  17. mikec55 Active Member

United-States
    Keith,

Beautiful work so far. I've always admired your technique. I had a thought since you were recently in kilt painting mode. Why don't you paint his tunic in a nice Scottish plaid pattern :eek: ?

Mike
  18. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looking good so far, Keith!

Lets see your Highland figure soon too. :)

Jason
  19. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Jay - I appreciate your comments! Thank you.

Mike - I dunno about the tartan on the tunic. I can't quite get my head around that one. Although, Marijn Van Gils did a wonderful Latorre 30th foot painted up in German SS WW2 camo that is just beautiful. You would like it. I am pretty sure it's on pF somewhere.

Jason - Working my way thru the dicing on the hose now on the highlander. Kinda of a zen experience for me... ;)

Keith