1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Roman Legionary 1st C BC

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ernest, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Ok Planet I send some pictures of my new sbs of this Roman from Soldiers sculped by the great Adriano Laruccia, the paint is all in acrilycs. Any question, observations, etc, are very welcome
    Hope you like it
    Ernest

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. mvonb Member

Ernest,

great animation in the face. I think the fleshtones are looking superb. How did you do the helmet? Is it a blend of many different metallics? Please let me know.

MfG

Martin
  3. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Hello Martin, thanks for your comments. About the bronze helmet I used I mix of english uniform+black and lights with orange brown from vallejo for the highlights I used I litle bit of gold from model master, the method of lights and shadows is puting more english uniform+orange brown in the top of the helmet and put some gold in several parts but only for highlights the mixture should be very liquid. For the shadows I used a mix of black+english uniform and the highshadows only black very liquid...
    I hope to help you

Ernest
  4. mvonb Member

Hello Ernest,

that information is very helpful. I have been interested in people's techniques for finishing metal surfaces for a while. Your method will be my next experiment with vallejos.

MfG

Martin
  5. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Very welcome Martin, if you have another questions let me know...
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Ernesto,my dear friend,I'm happy to see that you finally got the camera,The Roman is looking very good,I particularly like the way you painted the helmet. ;)

Continua con su buen trabajo.

Ciao

Roc. :)
  7. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Thanks Roc, yes I finally got the cam but I don't know for how much time, I'm glad that you like this figure, I'll post some new pictures soon
    Saludos
  8. DangerAtom New Member

A sugestion, if I may, Ernesto. In the third picture you posted, it seems the flesh paint has rolled onto the face plate a bit, giving the apearance that his skin is glued to the face plate. Maybe a deep shadow or an outline of some sort between the face and face plate would give it a better definition and some seperation between skin and metal. Other than that, I love it. Especially the tarnished bronze look of the headpiece.
  9. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hey Ernesto that's a great figure you have there so far. I will agree with Kevin though. Maybe you missed a dark shadow there. Excellent color on the helm. I can't wait for more pics.
  10. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Thanks for sharing that technique for the bronze helmet - it does look very convincing !
  11. y_wong New Member

Dear Ernest,
    I particularly like the way you did the helmet. Thanks for sharing your way of painting the helmet.

Looking forward to your next posting.

regards :)
  12. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Hi evryone, thanks for your comments....
    Kevin is a nice observation that you made, I'm just working right now to try to fix the shadows in that area, but is very hard to get the brush to this point, I'll post some new pictures soon and we see the result. I also working on the mail coat, I'm trying to get a darker texture and more dirty aspect I hope to go in the nice way.....
  13. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Hello planet, I post some litle bit advence...more dark in the mail coat I painted the belt and fix some litle shadows problems in the face around the union of the helmet and the flesh, also I'm painting the left arms, it's almost rady...
    Hope you like it (y)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Love your flesh tones Ernest. Some seem to think a pale flesh is appropriate but I believe yours to be more accurate historically.. Keep up the super work and I look forward to your next step.
  15. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Superb work Ernesto,

How did you finally do the scale mail,

Keep up the excellent work,

Gino
  16. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Hello Gino thanks for your words, for the final touch in the mail coat I mixed some black+black brown very liquid mixture, I used a medium brush 2 or 3 size and expand the mix all over the mail coat, I repeat the process about 3 or 4 times...
    Take care
  17. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Ernesto,fantastic work,looking forward to your next step.

keep up the good work.

Ciao

Roc. :)
  18. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Ernesto!

Great work mate! That helmet is some of the most awesome bronze I have seen painted!

What is your flesh mix, like Guy I like it!
  19. fsdesimone Member

That looks really nice so far. This is a figure I've had on the workbench for a while and never painted... you make me want to give it a shot.

Francesca
  20. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Hello Anderz thanks for your nice comments for the flesh tones I used a mix of sand brown + cadminum red + cadminum brown + basic skin tone, all from vallejo. For the lights I used sand brown + basic skin highlights with basic skin, shadows with cadminum red and deepshadows with cadminum brown....
    Hope I help you
    cheers
    Ernest