1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Roman infantry officer - Soldiers 54mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Hi guys,

This is next to my current WIP just as much to test my new photo set up. Have been fooling around with that a bit, as I was not happy with picture-taking so far.

Anyhow, I'm now working on Soldiers' excellent 4th century infantry officer, here are the results so far. The mail and leather bits are about done, as are the black trousers and whites. Lots of things to do still....

Let me know your comments and advice; now I can still do something about it...! :lol:

Cheers,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Adrian!

Nice leather and great transitions in the blouse, so I think you go on the right path.:)
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks well Adrian.
    Carl.(y)
  4. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Looks really good Adrian.

Jim
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Adrian,

Good progress so far mate, lovely work on the leather. I note that you appear to be painting the figure on the base with groundwork already attached. Is that how you normally do things?
  6. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Love the helmet. Would you mind sharing how you pulled this off? Very realistic looking.

Jim Patrick
  7. Ferris A Fixture

Pedro, Carl, Jim J.: Thanks for looking and leaving a comment. Glad you like him so far. :)

Tony: No, this is not really my normal approach. But on my normal handle, which is the end of a piece of wood, the figure kept bumping things when I laid it down after a session, revealing ugly metal bits at edges of the leather shoulder flaps. The base turned out to be a fair holder by itself, so I ran into this approach by coincidence actually...

Jim P.: So glad you like the helmet. I'm still in doubt about it actually, since I would have liked to give it a bit more contrast. I struggled with the round shape and the sides of the crest mainly. I normally try to paint metals using the white metal of the figure itself as a starting point (I did this on the mail), but when mounting the face guard on this one I could not avoid the need for some filler, so this blocked the natural metal approach this time. So I primed it normally and tried Andreas gold paint set. This was my first attempt using it and I did not find the instructions particularly clear, so it was a matter of messing about until I had something half-way decent. Overall the gold set is nice, but I do prefer using the natural metal as it avoids the somewhat grainy look almost all metal paints give me.

Thanks for stopping by guys!

Adrian
  8. Ineluki Active Member

Poland
    Here's the nice one !
    I like your painting very much, especially on the leather (petruges ?)
    Simon
  9. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Simon! (y)

Cheers,
    Adrian