1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Roman Infantry 4th century

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Hi guys,

Finally finished this 54mm piece from Soldiers, sculpted by Adriano Laruccia. An excellent figure, I can recommend it highly!

Painted with acrylics and some oils (mail, filter on spear).

Hope you like it.

Cheers,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

Marcel, Guy, Ineluki and 5 others like this.
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Adrian!

These figures of this master are truly amazing, one day I will paint one...
    Your figure, is very well painted and I noticed the smooth blending in white shirt, I cant see the face, but I guess is certainly well painted like others I see from you.
    Great weathering on the shield and beautiful and realistic groundwork.(y)

Cheers,
    Pedro.
  3. Hans Member

Germany
    Very convincing! I like the leather works and the metal parts. The prominent shield is absolutely perfect.
  4. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    really liked the shield...good job(y)
  5. serafeim Active Member

Greece
    I like it very much, especially the "leather" parts and the sield.(y)(y)

cheers from Crete
    Serafeim
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Me too, and the rest.
    Very well done,
    Carl.(y)
  7. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Loved the subtly of painting on this one Adrian. Especially like the way you have done the shield, will be using the photos as inspiration & reference.
    I'm also painting up one of Adrianno's little beauties from the same time era - details here: http://forums.delphiforums.com/medrenfig/messages/?msg=3173.1
    Would love to get your thoughts on the project.

Thanks for sharing.
  8. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Great work on those Leathers Adrian-overall very nicely done(y)
  9. Ineluki Active Member

Poland
    Excellent work Adrian. I especially like leather parts.
    And I have to say this: IMHO mr Laruccia's Romans are fantastic (if not the best), even the old sculptures.
    Simon
  10. Ferris A Fixture

Sorry for responding a bit late guys....

Simon, you're absolutely right, Laruccia's sculpts are top notch. I love em and hope to do a lot more!

Keith, thanks. The leathers were a lot of work, but I'm glad to hear it was worth it.

Mike, thanks for stopping by. I'm affraid I haven't visited MedRom for a while, your link was the cue to change that! Brilliant job on that tiny, hidden face you show there! Glad that you like the shield. In fact, I based it on one I found on the Piazza Armerina mosaics in Sicily. Visited some years ago and realized that the box art was basd on one well-known shield from these mosaics. The one I selected is less well-known, and in a more obscure part. I'll try and post a picture later.

(other responses to follow shortly, dinner is ready...)
  11. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Adrian

Excellent looking figure you painted there. Of course it's easier when a true master has sculpted such a gem for us to paint. I'm especially interested in how you painted the helmet. I can never get a convincing "bronzed-goldish" finish and always keep reverting to natural metal because of this. Would you mind sharing your color mixes and how you got that very convincing finish?

Jim Patrick
  12. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Jim,

Glad to hear you like it, thanks.
    I Normally like to use the natural metal of the figure and use Tamiya clear yellow and a burnt umber oil paint stain to get a bronze finish, but in this case the helmer consisted of two parts with a puttied-up seam in between, so I had to revert to something else. So I tried Andrea's gold paint set. It contains three gold paints, a base, highlight and shadow, and three inks. I applied the thinned base gold over an english uniform base and then played around with the inks and shadow gold to get something halfway decent. Some highlights on edges finished it off. I'm still in doubt if I like it myself actually. Next time I'll try gloss coat over a gold base, and an oil stain and highlighting afterwards.

Thanks for dropping by.

Adrian
    Jim Patrick likes this.
  13. Ferris A Fixture

Carl: Thanks for leaving a comment. Glad you like it!

Serafeim: Thanks as well. As said above, the leathers were a lot of work, so I'm glad you like them!

Rodrigo: Thanks!

Hans: Vielen Dank! Your remark about the shield makes me very proud. See my comments above on the origin of the shield design.

Pedro: Thanks for taking such a close look, and still liking it! The face is indeed well hidden and difficult to reach with brushes. You should really try one of Adriano's figures soon Pedro.

Thanks guys.

Adrian
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Outstanding paintwork Adrian.
    I think Soldiers make the best researched and correct sculpted Roman's . But that could only be my opinion.

marc
  15. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks a lot Marc!

We have the same opinion about Soldiers' Romans!

Adrian
  16. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nearly missed this one.

That looks exceptional, great paint all round.

Ron
  17. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks or the compliment Ron.:)

I posted this just before the Planet got its upgrade and was offline for some time. It was easy to miss in the startup afterwards.

Cheers,
    Adrian