1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Roman Imaginifer, Young Miniatures bust 1/10th scale

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Oct 28, 2014.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

My latest project is a straight out of the box version of Young Miniature's excellent Roman Imaginifer bust in 1/10th scale.

As many of you would know, this bust is incorrectly labelled on the box art as a Signifer, however I understand this specific bust represents the person in a legion designated to carry the image of the Emperor, hence the name "Imaginifer".

If there are any Roman history scholars who disagree with this, please enlighten me and the rest of the Planet with your thoughts.

Aside from the confusion over the name of the bust, the actual bust itself is a beauty. I like the cocky smirk on his face.

As usual I am painting oils over acrylics. As always I welcome any comments or criticisms.
    IMG_2116.JPG IMG_2117.JPG IMG_2118.JPG
    maxag, MalcC, Tommi and 11 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony ,

Very nice start like those fleshtones as you say he has a bit of a smirk on him

Looking forward to seeing more

Nap
    tonydawe likes this.
  3. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    That smile on his is probably the reason its an "Imaginifer"!!!!! Imagining home. Sorry, had to say that

Very good start though I have to say
    Ben
    NickM and tonydawe like this.
  4. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Very nice work mate. Love the flesh. Thats how I hope all my figures turn out,sadly I have a long way to go,but thats the goal.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Nap, hopefully I'll have some more pics to show you after the weekend.

Hi Ben, don't give up your day job mate :D Glad you're a painter and not a comedian.

G'day Chris, thanks for your comments mate. Keep at it. Persistence is the only quality you need in this hobby.
  6. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice job Tony.Enjoy painting it and ignore the "experts" as i do.Look forward to seeing him progress mate
    Brian
  7. Mark S Guest

Nice start Tony, ...this one looks a bit like Tom Cruise..perhaps a Roman Scientoliger rather than a Imaginifer or a Signifer.
    Filipe and Chris Mortimer like this.
  8. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    HI Tony
    There are some truely amazing faces on pF of late and this one is right up there with the best.
    Fabulous work Mate.
    All the best
    Keith
  9. swralph A Fixture

Nice work so far.
    Ralph.
  10. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great work tony,your flesh work looks great,will follow with interest mate
  11. Sgt. Red Active Member

12. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    "Show me the Denarii!!"
    I get the Tom Cruise vibe off this guy too. Nicely done so far though, Tony, looking forward to seeing him come together.
  13. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Lovely stuff Tony ,great start on this one.

Cheers Davie
  14. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    HAHA thats gold!
  15. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Tony you say it's straight out of the box but I'd say it's straight out of the top drawer (y)
    Looking forward to your progress.
    Cheers
    Derek
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thats a awesome painted face.
    Marc
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for your comments guys.

Mark, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you're a frikkin' nut job.:LOL: Clearly you need to "up your meds" mate as the current dosage isn't working.:wacky:

Leaving the Tom Cruise thing aside, I'm grateful for all the lovely comments and rather pleased with the way the paint is flowing off the brushes lately. I seem to be "in the zone" now, which is why I take a break from modelling each year to refresh my batteries and get my mojo back. Yeah baby!!

Here are a few pics I took last night. The pics are waaaaaaay too dark I know but you can see where I'm at.
    IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2120.JPG IMG_2121.JPG
    Mark S, NickM and sd0324 like this.
  18. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Nice work, don't see the Cruise at all. You guys are projecting.....you want to see Cruise, you know you do. :happy:
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I did some more work on this bust last night.

A Prussian Blue oil wash over the metal armour plates of the Lorica Segmenta I think adds some depth to the metals, which we base coated in Vallejo Gun Metal and detailed with a mix of Josonja Silver and Carbon Black.

I still have some work to do to bring out all the textures and colours in the bear skin, but it's coming on.

The skin on the arm also needs fine hairs painted on and then oil washes to deepen the flesh tone.
    IMG_2122.JPG IMG_2123.JPG IMG_2124.JPG IMG_2125.JPG IMG_2126.JPG IMG_2127.JPG
    DEL, Mark S, NickM and 2 others like this.
  20. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Wow! looks amazing mate. Must remember the blue tip.