1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Roman Cornicen bust (AC Models + Young miniatures)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by iwik, Apr 12, 2020.

1. iwik Active Member

United-States
    Hi y'all!
    I only buy 2 or 3 busts a year, but this time it was another one of these compulsive buy.
    But I soon regretted it.
    I bought it directly on AC Models FB account, but that won't happen again.
    I don't usually say bad things about companies from our hobby, but I really felt taken for a fool.
    Compared to other brands, the surfaces of the skin were terrible. Filled with bumps, lumps and rough patches, nothing was smooth. I had to sand as best as I could and fill some holes. But the face was just hopeless. Even the eyes were full of hills and valleys. I ended grinding it all out and replacing it with a copy I made from a young Miniature paratrooper bust I luckily had not painted.
    Even the scultping of the hands seem unfinished, like some Camille Claudel's sculptures.
    I had to carve out enormous amount of matter for the bear claws and teeths.
    I copiously thinned down the piece cheeks.
    I removed countless of little pieces of the silicone mould from the fur...
    The mold lines on all pieces of the Cornu were just hellish to remove and I thought I even might have to replace it altogether...
    After contacting ACModels he showed great surprise and didn't believe me, even with pictures as proof, and accused me of having bought a poor recast (even though payment had been made via Paypal a couple of weeks before...). He finally asked if I wanted a new copy, but I said that if it was still the same quality there was no use. Never heard from him again.

However, I was still decided to get the most of what I could with it, so here is the WIP...

With the new face:
    [IMG]

The cornu:
    [IMG]

Here's the face with the cheek pieces temporarily in place to show what will be visible in the end.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Maybe I should accentuate the shadows.
    I'm not convinced about the nose.
    What do you think?

Ciao
    Iwik
    Ciao
    Iwik
  2. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Lots of worrying with this model, but it really looks like he's on track to get an excellent result. Congratulations on the work so far and I wish - just keep going and good luck :)

Cheers Borek :)
  3. Roland Meng Active Member

Hungary
    Looks good, I can’t wait to see the fur, in progress!
    Cheers
    Roland
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi IWik

Always wanted to do this bust ! I like Andys sculpts , yes they need a bit of prep but in this case more than is reasonable it seems

Good recovery on the face so all credit to you , think the nose needs a little blending and push the shadows under the cheek pieces perhaps ?

Is the actual instrument white metal ?

Following with interest

Happy benchtime

Nap
  5. iwik Active Member

United-States
    Perseas, Borek and Nap like this.
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks like your hard work has paid off.(y)
    Perseas and Nap like this.
  7. iwik Active Member

United-States
    Hi y'all!
    Thanks for your kind words of encouragement!
    Here he is done at last!
    So fed up with it and all the problems I've encountered during the whole process.
    Quite happy with the result though. I'm glad I didn't quit on it. But....never again.
    On to something else!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Ciao
    Iwik
    PS I'd love to hear from those of you who own that piece, wether they painted it already or not.
    Borek, Nap and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Iwik

Despite all the build concerns that's a great result , really like the painting on the bear skin and the instrument

Thanks for sharing

Why not enter FOTM as well with a piece and also vote in previous months comp

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap