1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Roman Centurion Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Brandy Small, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Brandy Small New Member

Well.... here goes my first Workbench.
    I kindof took sometime away from modeling this year, but am trying to get back into working on something. I finally committed to finishing the Roman Centurion Bust by Verlinden. I did the skin tones with oils. The pictures seem a little dark but not to far off. Please ignore the helmet. I was using it as a demo for metallics, and it will change as soon as I get around to it.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice and warm tones (y)

What core colors did you use?
  3. Brandy Small New Member

Gordy,
    Thanks for the feedback.

I use a mix of Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, and soften highlights with Titanium White and Cadium Yellow. My base is Humbrel Flesh.

Brandy
  4. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Brandy

Robin
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    The Photo's don't do justice to the flesh tones. I was fortunate enough to see this bust in person and she has done an excellent job on the flesh tones.
  6. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Brandy
    Nice skintones
    Keep posting as you progress.

Frank (y)
  7. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Very nice,Brandy,very nice (y) Do post more as you go along.Cheers !
    Kenneth :lol:
  8. Brandy Small New Member

I started doing the cloak on the bust. I am trying to improve on my shadowing in the folds of cloth. I decided to try something new (for me). I did my base coat in a red brown and did my first dry brushing with a red. I like it so far, hopefully it will improve with additional dry coats. Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Brandy!

Looks really good so far, the skin tones are great. Im looking forward to see the red take shape as I kind of have a fetish for red miniatures ;)
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    You're drybrushing looks great Brandy!!!!!!
  11. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi Brandy :lol: Like Anders said,the figure's skin tone looks AWESOME ! Well done (y) Looking forward to further updates.Cheers !
    Kenneth :)
  12. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looks GREAT Brandy! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
  13. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Brandy,
    Your Centurian is coming along nicely,Keep it up.

Roc. :)
  14. pkess Member

Brandy,
    The face looks very good, especially the eyes.
    On the cloak, I think you need some variation in the color of the shadows. Especially in large scale, I would add some deeper shadows to some of the folds. A deep shadow color can be made by mixing in some purple madder and indigo oil paints. Keep it random so that it looks natural. I usually use two different shadow colors: shadow and deep shadow colors. With red, I try to work more on the shadows and less on the highlights. If you over highlight red, it begins to look either pink or orange and you lose the red tone. Same with dark blues.
  15. Brandy Small New Member

Thanks for the great feedback, and I will try focusing on the shadows. I hope I will be able to work on the piece soon and give you guys an update. Till then.

Brandy :)