1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Roman Cavalry figure

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi,
    Finally got this one done. It's a new figure from Think 180 and should be released by Jeff (holycow) in a couple of months.
    The tree is by Armand Bayardi. The groundwork is made from A&B epoxy putty with pebbles added in while still curing. The grass is Woodland Scenics field grass. The snow is Hudson Allen slush.

There are more pictures on my site:

My Webpage

I appreciate any comments or suggestions you might have to offer.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Another shot...

Attached Files:

3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Another greak figure Craig. What scale are these figures and of resin or white metal?
  4. Patrick Kirk New Member

Craig,
    He looks awesome...very nicely done...but I gotta ask, what is the hole right below his heart? HIs left hand looks a lil big, but that might be the angle of the pic. Nonetheless, it's incredible. How did you get the silver on the helmet to look so aged?

All the best

Patrick
  5. johnnyboy New Member

hey craig whats up man lookin good.havnt talked to ya in a while any way take care bro talk to you soon.johnny
  6. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Very good job Craig! Love the subdued color sheme.

-jim cox
  7. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hey,
    Thanks for the nice comments. Ther're much appreciated.

Guy..This is an 80 mm resin figure.

Patrick.... The hole is a missing armor plate. The hand does look just a little bit big but nothing too bad. As for the helmet....Let's see....
    I painted it with Paynes Grey with just enough Silver Printers Ink to make it look more gunmetal han silver. After it dried I made a more silver mix and "dry brushed" it for the highlights and let that dry too. Then I added a thin wash of Brown Madder Alizerin around the edges. I'm guessing that's what gaves it the look you mentioned.

Johnnyboy...good to hear from you too. It really has been a long time since we've talked.

Jim....Thanks. The colors were picked by Jeff (the sculptor). But I agree with you. I really like them too. Without any guidance I probab;y would have painted the undershirt red but Jeff's suggestion for the off white looks much better.

Thanks again guys.
    Craig
  8. Patrick Kirk New Member

Craig,
    Excellent description my friend...I would have never guess that Brown Madder Alizerin would give the "cool" effect like that WOW! I'll have to give that a go on the Roman Centurian I am working on; thanks for the tip!

I agree, the offwhite compliments the greens very nicely!

All the best

Patrick
  9. marvin Member

Netherlands
    Craig,

Great stuff! By now you know how much I like your painting in oils, but with these highly complementary colours I like it even better. Beautiful work on the groundworkl too!

Marvin