1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Roman Aquilifer's Pegaso & Soldiers

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I didn't get as much done this week as I wanted to but still......progress was made. The groundwork has been painted, washed and dry-brushed and now the vegatation will be added before the standards are attached to the arms. The sheilds have been base coated and the design will come last in this sbs.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The 75mm Roman is progressing at the same rate with the vegatation is next followed by a light dusting of snow at the end.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

all comments and questions are welcomed.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    They are turning out really nice Guy.
    Keep those pictures coming, i can learn alot from it. I really like the metals.

marc
  3. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hello Guy..the way you've finished the metal work on the smaller scale figure in the close-up looks excellent. It looks so crisply detailed too.
    Really looking forward to see how you paint the shields.

All the best.

Roy.
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback Marc & Roy. I appreciate it. I should be starting the sheilds later this week.
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    A little more progress has been made with the 2 Roman figures. The groundwork and attaching the accessories. Groundwork is still not complete on either.

[IMG]

[IMG]

don't care for the redish background.......oh well

[IMG]

[IMG]

Here is where the smaller Soldier's figure is right now.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  6. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Two great pieces Guy. The lions head looks spot on to me.

Try a bit darker background... ;)

Keith
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Keith. I will experiment more with different backgrounds to get the best result for the figure.....the red.....wasn't it.
  8. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Guy,

I like both of your Roman Sodiers !!! Both are very well done...as always... ;)

I think you are right about the red background...

I know it by myself...there is always to much to test... I asked my wife to learn photograhing as a profi but she don`t want... :lol: ...so I have to test, test, test...

The best wishes,
    Markus
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    The sheilds were tackled this week with the design on the Pegaso Roman finished and the Soldiers Roman Sheild ready for tomorrows layout and painting.

The sheild was first painted with 2 coats of Signal Red and afterwards given a coat of clear satin. The design was layed out in pencil and the design was filled in with 2 coats of medium green. After the medium green dried another coat of satin clear was applied and set aside to dry.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The large Pegaso Roman is done, except for the sheild. The snow was sprinkled on over diluted Elmer's Glue and after drying was blown with canned air.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

all comments / critiques welcome
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    The sheild is the final part of the Soldiers Roman and while I was waiting out the drying times I finished the groundwork.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

All comments / critiques are welcome
  11. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guy, very nice work. I have both these figures, beautiful kits, maybe some day I'll get around to them.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Roc. Both of these figures were enjoyable to paint and departed from my usual subjects. I have several other Roman subjects in the wings for the future.
  13. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Guy,

Both of these figures are up to your usual standards but I have one question. What exactly is the clear satin you used on the shields? I have some Romans waiting for paint who are holding shields with no design on them. That's the main reason they're waiting. But, after seeing your outstanding results, I might give them a shot soon.

Mike
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Guy,

You did a great job on both figures. The shield is extremely well done.
    The groundworks are great.
    I will seen alot of more pictures of these great figures when they are ready.

marc
  15. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Guy,

both are looking great !!!

And as Marc said, the shield and the groundwork are looking lovley.

I´m looikng forward to see both finished.

Best regards,
    Markus
  16. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the kind words guys.

Mike - The clear satin is a Humbrol clear coat satin. I put this on over the red so the dark greed does not bleed into the red. I can also take a clean brush and thinner and adjust the design if I get it crooked. The satin coat protects the prior color. I use the same technique when doing plaids or stripes on clothing only then I use clear flat. HTH

Guy