1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Roman Aquilifer, 54mm Icon Miniatures (WIP)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Oct 17, 2009.

1. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    cool paintjob!

the animal skin is lovely...

Mark
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    It is looking real good.

Marc
  3. dannyk01 New Member

Australia
    Hey there Tony,
    Long time no see. It's good to see some of your stuff coming back on here :) Now then, you are saying 54mm is small? I would beg to differ (IE my WASMEx entry).

Now then, I don't know how far you have gotten into painting but the metals look as though they could maybe get a bit more definition going into them. I look forward to seeing the shield soon (and you paint bloody fast so it will probably will be sooner then I think).

Daniel
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Carl, Steve, Mark, Marc and Daniel,

Thanks for your comments guys. It's always pleasing to get positive feedback.

Daniel, I'm painting the shield at the moment, using Tommi's stencils. I spent last night preparing the groundwork for the base. I hope to post some pics of the finished piece in a few days. 54mm is small enough for me mate. My next one will be 120mm, just so I can refocus my eyes.
  5. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Tony,
    Great looking figure so far. and love the reds.
    Looking forward to the shield.
    Cheers
    John
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Almost finished

Hi John,

Thanks so much for your generous comments.:)

I've almost done now, just a few final touches on the shield and helmet to do.

The laurel leaf pattern on the shield was done using Tommi Worton's excellent stencils set. I'd highly recommend it for anyone who needs help with intricate patterns and designs like this.

Attached Files:

7. PHIL WALDEN Member

Well mate now you have the colours blocked in,..l take it your going to go to town on the detail,???A! brother..No cob,he's looking like good stuff...but just one little point, but its to late and its only an opinion, a dark Mahogany base shows off the reds and bronzes better....love my Romans...

cheers my son..Phil..:)
  8. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Tony,
    Excellent looking figure!

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  9. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely job on this one Tony, i really like the lion fur and overall it is a very nice looking figure.

Steve
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Cracking job Tony, Rorkes Drift next?
    Love it,
    Carl.
  11. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Great painting job on this very beautiful figure Tony, the stencils on the shield seem very cool ..i think i'll try them in my next roman soldier..

Stefano
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Well,
    I can only say that it is a stunning paintjob. The stencils from Tommi are great..it also worked for you on the shield.
    Absolutely a great figure that should be prominent in the showcase.

Marc
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thank you Phil, Marcel, Steve, Carl, Stefano and Marc,

I'm so glad you like how he turned out. After being away from my modelling desk for over a month, I used this figure to help get me back "in the zone". I have to say I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.

Next is the Rorke's Drift bust in 1/9th scale.
  14. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony

Dont know how I missed this one?

Another very nice result. This is the first of this Icon figure that I have seen painted, the quality of the kit looks pretty good and you have done a fine job.

Cheers
    Tommi
  15. Mark S Guest

Great result,Tony.
    Beautiful painting,nice detail.
    Well done,mate!
    I agree with Phil on the choice of base,for the same reasons.
  16. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Really like the way this one turned out Tony,you are definitely back in the zone.

Cheers David
  17. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Wow Tony! Just caught this thread for the first time, and I have to say this one looks very nice. One of your best, I'd say!

Jason
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Tommi, I'd have to agree with you. This Icon figure is excellent quality.

Thanks Mark, I agree with you and Phil but it's too late to change the base now.

Thanks David, yep I'm back in the zone and certainly inspired by what I saw at Euro.

Thanks Jason, it's very nice of you to say so and I humbly agree with you.
  19. Alex Lopez Well-Known Member

Mexico
    Thanks again for paint this figure Tony.
    WELL DONE FRIEND!!!
    I´ll waiting to see the Macedonian too...

Alex.
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Alex,

It was my pleasure to paint this magnificent figure. Thanks for producing it mate.

I'm looking forward to the Macedonian too.