1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review "Rolf" from Castle Miniatures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi everyone,

The mere mention of the name Viking conjours up an image of seafarers , explorers , traders , pillagers , battle hardened warriors , a social life , settlements , beautiful artifacts ( a lot thankfully in the museums around the world , the British museum amongst them) , in UK we have the famous settlement at York which is celebrated by the amazing Jorvic centre in the city where you are transported back though a timeline to the Vikings , sharing the sounds and smell of life itself.

More recently we have had the excellent TV series called the Vikings

The warrior is naturally a very popular subject and we have seen all types of releases including busts and full figures , this is what I am sharing with you a full figure from the company called
    0.jpg

The subject is of course this 0a.jpg

I will share some pictures as usual but Alex from Castle Miniatures has posted many in this thread here on the forum http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/castle-miniatures-news.74214/

Feared warriors using the famous tactic of interlocked shields in a shield wall with designs being varied 0000000.jpg 0000000a.jpg [IMG]
    We see much skill in the making of weapons
    00.jpg 000a.jpg 000.jpg 00a.jpg 000aa.jpg 00aa.jpg 00000.jpg

helmets 000000.jpg
    and in the mail shirts 1a.jpg they sometimes wore.

Books are plenty here are a few I like
    0aaaaa0.jpg 0a0.jpg 0aa0.jpg 0aaa0.jpg 0aaaa0.jpg

Continued in next post

Nap
    Mirofsoft, Nemo, yeo_64 and 2 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets see what we are looking at

Title: Tales of the North - Rolf

Reference: C75 06

Scale: 75mm

No of pieces: 12

Material: Gray Resin

Sculptor: Yury Serebgyakov

Box Art: N/A

The resin was in a light but suitable white box with a picture on the top C M Viking 001.jpg on opening the lid we find the 12 pieces split between 3 separate plastic bags .
    Parts consist of the top of the torso , the lower torso with left leg, the right leg , 2 arms, , head , the helmet , sword, dagger, axe , shield and a base.
    C M Viking 002.jpg
    Prep

Top of torso..Tiny bit of flashing between the wolf pelt and arm, plug from inside of neck at back
    Lower torso ....Sanding the plug that fits to the cutout in the upper torso
    Right leg...Minute casting line to sand on thigh , fit to lower body and base
    Arms...Remove from former , slight casting lines to sand on clothing lower and fit to body
    Head..Remove casting plug from underside of neck and fit to torso
    Helmet...Remove some of plug from back of helmet( remainder used to fit to torso , confirm no flashing from eye openings
    All weapons....Remove small casting plugs from axe and dagger , and sword from former
    Shield...Slight sanding around edge
    Base...2 plugs from underneath and sand round edge

I would like to add that I was using the optivisor when checking the pieces , all are very easy to remove

We will split the review looking at the torso , leg and the arms , the remaining in the next part.

First impressions ....a figure that looks the part and is packed with detail work , the review item was in 2 different coloured resin , one darker than the other.

The Top of the torso this is shown wearing a mail shirt very nicely worked , the links are spot on , underneath we see the shape of the actual body , the shirt is half sleeved with the padded under garment peeking out .

Rolf has a fine beaded necklace and a belt , the buckle on the belt is sharply sculpted.
    C M Viking 009.jpg
    C M Viking 012.jpg C M Viking 011.jpg C M Viking 010.jpg
    C M Viking 008.jpg
    Across his shoulders draped naturally we have a wolf pelt , the texture on this is excellent , allowing for you to get the best when painting. C M Viking 013.jpg

On now to the Lower Torso consisting also of the left leg we have a continuation of the mail shirt with a cutout for the sword , a lovely purse various belts all detailed with designs , the lower edge of the padded undergarment is also there with holes as well ...nice touch . the legs is well shaped with clothing sitting well the lower leg is wrapped in " puttees" these show really nice wear and tear.
    C M Viking 003.jpg C M Viking 005.jpg C M Viking 004.jpg C M Viking 006.jpg
    The same comments can be said for the Right leg , fit is fine with a smidgeon of putty being needed

C M Viking 007.jpg

Now to the Arms these both show strong folds with texture of the armlet of leather on both the lower arms, both have 3 straps and buckles in place . , the left is up high with the handle of the shield , fingers are well sculpted on both , the right is ready to grip the axe itself.

C M Viking 015.jpg C M Viking 014.jpg

Continued in next post

Nap
    storm_zh, captnenglish, Nemo and 3 others like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Now to the remaining pieces in a lighter coloured resin

The Head, bareheaded , strong looking and brave , good muscles on the neck , facial features are that of a warrior , , forehead furrowed slightly, the nose a little hooked but all the face is full of features.
    C M Viking 021.jpg C M Viking 017.jpg C M Viking 018.jpg
    C M Viking 020.jpg

The Helmet this has the eye protection piece and looks the part , nice shape and delicate so be careful!! the crown is raised slightly .the helmet sits nicely into a cutout of the lower torso.

C M Viking 016.jpg C M Viking 019.jpg

The Shield , as seen in shield walls this is round , strengthened around the edges ,its battle damaged with good rivet details , the front is plain which allows you to choose your design , in the centre we have the distinctive metal boss , well shaped again, on the back we see the make up of the shiled the palnks of wood are nicely formed and shows the graining of the wood itself . C M Viking 022.jpg C M Viking 023.jpg

The Weapons these consist of a dagger , an axe and a sword , all fit in place easily

C M Viking 024.jpg

The sword has good shape on the pommel itself and the grip surface texture, with the scabbard having the securing straps under a securing bar ..nice attention to detail here. C M Viking 024a.jpg

The Axe is a good shape a shorter version and fits well into the right hand, the Dagger is sheathed in a leather scabbard with a bone ( antler) handle the fit is good and both look well in position on the figure

C M Viking 024b.jpg

Finally the Base this is suitably textured to depict groundwork of stones and grass/moss , simple but very effective , there are locating holes for the figure itself , the base is not solid but hollowed out underneath .

C M Viking 025.jpg C M Viking 026.jpg

Final Thoughts

This is another nice bit of sculpting from Yury , full of details and I am sure it will be popular , the prep is minimal with fit being good , looks good on its own or with another Viking figure .

The subject has a slight fantasy feel to it as well as the historical so good option there as well.
    The scale is the best in my opinion for this subject allowing easy painting of the piece. if the ancient world is for you get it .....if not..... get it anyway as its a great figure !!!

For more details on this and other releases from Castle Miniatures why not go to the website:

www.castleminiatures.com

or of course there is the FB page at www.facebook.com/Castle-Miniatures

or PM here on PF

Thanks to Alex at Castle miniatures for the review piece and for you all for looking in

Finally a couple more views of the figure

0aaa.jpg
    0aa.jpg
    Happy modelling

Nap
    captnenglish, vorennaal, Oda and 4 others like this.
  4. mortier A Fixture

Germany
    Again a very good review of a very good figure
    Thank you
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  5. ATTİLA the HUN Well-Known Member

Turkey
    YURY Serebgyakov MADE masterpiece.
    I lıke all details and specially FACE SCULPT.
    :love:
  6. ATTİLA the HUN Well-Known Member

Turkey
    Thanks for REVİEW,
  7. Mark S Guest

Nice looking figure very tempting.....some of the casting looks a bit rough to me, but nice piece all the same.
    I wonder why the shield boss is depicted differently in the promotional pics.
    Thanks for the detailed review Kevin.
  8. Oda A Fixture

Just the very name of Yury Serebryakov conjures up images of perfection,needless to say anything more.

Oda.
    captnenglish and napoleonpeart like this.
  9. Macca G A Fixture

Australia
    See, you say you've got enough Vikings and a guy like this comes along. Great review Nap
    sd0324 and napoleonpeart like this.
  10. vorennaal Member

Amazing!
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks a great figure to me.

Marc
  12. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Got this figure ready to paint, has to be one of the best Viking figures around.

Cheers David
  13. Mac1966 Well-Known Member

Italy
    I have this figure (all the yuri's vikings) and for me the casting is not top. But these figures are great.
    Ciao
    m
  14. MrBMB A Fixture

Nice review
    I like this figure :)