1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Roger Ranger

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nap, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments

Keith ...the powderhorn will be in mid air ! ..got to carefully think about the strap material I use!

Geoff ..it will be at Poole ..wherever it is !

Phil ...thanks mate ..uniform textures all done ..working on the beaded cross strap now ! ..I am all greened out with the uniform!..lol

Tony ..great to have you post ..as for the scrimshaw ..yes it was carved on with a sharp needle ....holding my breath ! ...looks quite good and in keeping with the original simplicity ( bit like me then!..lol) ...will be going for a colour similar with washes into the carving and a bit of detail painting as well .

It's review day today so I am staring at it longingly ...is that legal!

Thanks everyone

Nap

PS........Dont forget FOTM !!!!
    anstontyke likes this.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France

Hi Kevin
    For me the answer is copper wire for the strap.
    If the strap is more of a cord; wind several strands together to get the width you need. If this is not strong enough put a strand of soft steel that you find plastic coated food bag ties........remove the plastic before use. :ROFLMAO:
    Now if it is a flat strap, get a thicker copper wire and hammer it flat to the width you want. Hammering will harden the copper and should support your flying horn.
    I hope that this is of some use Mate.
    Cheers
    Keith
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Keith

Good suggestions mate ..it's not a cord so will be looking for copper and a hammer !

Hopefully superglue will hold okay !

Nap
    peedee, anstontyke and Wings5797 like this.
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Kev
    I am sure that if you can get a reasonable contact area it will hold up......or pin and super glue.
    sent from a secret location in south east England.....gale force windy, wet, cold (what an I doing here?)
    All the best
    Keith
    peedee and anstontyke like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Verbal update ...a bit !

Working on belts a lot of leather 2/4 completed ...might revise when others are done ...working also on the cap ..added what was going for a green plume/feather and panted as such but saw a picture if a deers tail bring worn ...so much more to do

Sorry pics not best ..looks better in real ...like me !

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Borek and anstontyke like this.
  6. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Hi Nap, have you thought about the throw away bits of etched brass sets, I have some that I could make into about 2.2 mm wide, 2 pieces 110mm long and 2.2mm wide, it is only about half a mm thick but should hold its shape with a small amount of weight on it.
    anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Stand by its rubbish update pics ..but a bit of verbal first .......

All uniform done ...less buttons

All leather work done ...less decoration on main belt ..Lots of different variations in leather !

No pics for that its all clinfilmed ...tease eh!!

But I gave got one sort of ...the small pouch and sknnng knife ...lots of beadwork added ..pic not really showing it ! ..the pouch will be on a red cord ..a little bit of colour in amongst all that green .

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Oh yes ...I dropped the musket and the mechanism went to the carpet monster ...muttering ..but being a brave little soldier ...I sobbed in the corner .......went for another look and found it nearly 5 metres away ...HOW !!!!

Waiting for putty to go off then will tidy it up shape wise !

image.jpeg

This was my reference for the knife
    image.jpeg

Thanks for looking in

Nap
    balder, Borek, anstontyke and 3 others like this.
  8. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    love this thread !(y)
  9. Nap Moderator

England

Cheers Daniel ..will get some pics done once the belting decoration is ready !

Nap
    anstontyke and MarquisMini like this.
  10. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Can't wait to see it, that intricate work will be interesting mate.
  11. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Hey Nap.........Nice to see you back on this piece.........and you are actually doing the scrimshaw on the powder horn(y)......Keep up the good work.

Wayne
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments

Daniel ...putting as much into it as I can ! ......gorget now done ...with "GR" inscription!

Wayne ...scrimshaw actually carved into the new powder horn I made ....going to do the horn a fairly light colour to bring out the scrimshaw in dark washes ....

Stay tuned

Nap
    anstontyke likes this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Yes it's iPad piccy time .....

Unform all done just buttons m and a couple small straps/ cords , add stitching on a couple of things

Headwear all done

Ad it's mostly leathers and greens sometime guard to see but all are textured and different Browns ec !

Off for a Valium and coffee

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Nicolaos, balder, Borek and 6 others like this.
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    That's coming along very well Kev, keep it up!
    anstontyke likes this.
  15. mick3272 A Fixture

Ive been steering away from this one as its not my era, but the more I look at it
    I could just be tempted.
    So crack on dear boy
    so I can see the end result
    Mick
    anstontyke likes this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Cheers Guys

It looks so much better in real life ..loads of textures and different leathers

Roger ..will keep it up mate !

Mick ....to be honest it's a lot of extra work by my own choice but when fnished it WILL look good so ....cracking on dear boy

Thanks for looking in

Nap
    anstontyke, billyturnip and mick3272 like this.
  17. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Coming on in leaps and bounds Nap, love the extra work you are putting into him.(y)
  18. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    As Geoff has said coming along 'leaps and bounds' can't wait to see this in the 'flesh'.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Cheers Mr C and Mr B for comments ....currently leaping and bounding around my modelling room !!

Finshed the small knife small bag strap/cords ..........

next up is the waterbottle cording then the buttons ........

then ..fleshwork ...he will have light coloured hair not yellow as in pics ....

then the hands with axe and knife .....

then the powderhorn...flying in mid air

Then the musket ....

Finshed!!.....

and that all

Nap
    Borek and anstontyke like this.
  20. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Looking good Kev!....(the figure.. not you);)
    Cheers
    Jim(y)