1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Rocky Mountain Trapper from S&T products

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Stephan, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Stephan PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    And here another Work I want do describe from beginning.
    Very lovley sculpting from John Rosengrant.
    I can recommend every Person. Its very expensive but very very good casting.
    I want to discuss my coulor suggetions with you.
    I dont know if its possible to do it in this Coulor.

Attached Files:

flart1943 likes this.
  2. Stephan PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    And a viewer look.

Attached Files:

3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Stepan,
    Your mountain man is coming along nicely,but in my opinion,
    the red and blue might be a bit to flashy for a mountain man, what do you think?
    Roc.
  4. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Stephan

I'd possibly agree with Roc. Maybe a bit flashy although I know little on this subject. This is probably Guy or Quang territory, I think.

If the colours were toned sown somewhat, made more earthy representations of red and blue, it may work better. Is it acrylics?

Rob
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Stephen,
    The blue leggings were made from a Hudson's Bay Blanlet and would of been much darker blue. I have never seen a red leather fringed buckskin jacket. I question whether the red that would of been used from a dye, would be accurate. Quang may be able to verify this tho. The only red coats I have seen them wear, were also made from Hudson Bay Blankets, and therefore would not have the fringe that this fellow does. I have painted this figure and sold him to a collector and did not get any photo's taken beforehand.

Guy
  6. Stephan PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    So I have to kill the leather straps an give it a texture?

Attached Files:

7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    The Paunting above is using a Hudson Bay Blanket to make a Capote coat. If you look closely you will not see fringe which would then be a buckskin coat. I did a 90mm Mountain with this color coat and did away with all fringe so as to represent a blanket coat.

guy
  8. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Stephan
    While I applaud your wanting to paint something other than
    buckskin. I am not sure this red is going to work on this
    particular figure. I stand to be corrected.

Buckskin on the other hand comes in many different and
    interesting shades and tones the handling of which can
    still produce a unique rendition of this great piece of
    sculpting.

wishing you every success with this project

Frank (y) (y) (y)
  9. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Stephan,

The coat on your figure is definitively a buckskin hunting coat manufactured and sold in depots in St Louis, Missouri where trappers bought their equipment before going into the wilds. This type of coat is rather well-documentated (as a matter of fact, they were rarely fringed or at least the fringes were kept rather short, like on the bogus Davy Crockett outfits they sell for carnival :). Hi, Johan! )

If you want to convert it into a blanket capote, you'll need to bulk it up, make it longer (at least to the calves) and add some texture to it. Capotes were usually made from Hudson's Bay blankets and came in a variety of colours all of them VERY bright (remember, that these 'point' blankets were used for trade with the Indians so they had to be appealing).

[IMG]

For other colour options, check here:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/p...ubID=92&catID=3

You may also want to check out my Amos Garrett (FA-04) and Two Guns (FA-01) on the PiLiPiLi website.

As a matter of fact, you will find out that Amos Garrett is dressed almost exactly as your figure! In case you're wondering, Amos came first!

Good luck,

Quang
  10. Stephan PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    ;)

"You may also want to check out my Amos Garrett (FA-04) and Two Guns (FA-01) on the PiLiPiLi website.

Good luck,

Quang"

Thanks a lot, I got 7 Figures from you in my Cupboard. I think, I am a very great fan of you Mr. Quang.

and thanks for the other.
    So I wil change the colours.
  11. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Thanks, Stephan.

Let us know what you decide to do. Keep us posted.

(y)

Q.
  12. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Stephan

It is always a brave move to change colours during the painting process.

Well done for being positive above the advice given here, and what excellent advice it was!!

Rob
  13. Stephan PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    For me I finished the face and hands. In oils. Acrylics I think again is not my world.

Attached Files:

14. Stephan PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    And another pic dont know how to post more pics in a posting. :(

Attached Files:

15. Stephan PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    here is a smal update its a long time ago.....

[IMG]

hier mache ich wieder aus einem viereckigen Stück Balsafoamrest einen Baumstumpf welcher später in das Dio mit einbezogen wird. Aussere Form abschaben, Rindenstruktur ausenherum festlegen und innendrin ein bischen was rausnehmen

[IMG]

hier mit kleinen Schnitten das innere herausarbeiten und Aussen die Rindenform einritzen, vorher natürlich aussen ein Muster geben mit geknüllter Alufolie

[IMG]

Für einen Quickie zwischendurch, hat ca. 15 Minuten gedauert sieht das Stück doch schon ganz nett aus.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

an dem Kerl selber hab ich nur die Schatten erst mal vorgemalt.

[IMG]

hier die vorgemalten Formen des Dios in welches der Kerl eines Tages mal eingepflanzt wird.
    Mit samt seiner fertigen Base.

[IMG]

Vorne Links werden zwei Felsen hinkommen hinten links ein Bachlauf und rechts ein großer Baum

[IMG]

Um Material zu sparen wird mit Styropor die Grundform aufgefüllt, es soll von vorne nach hinten ansteigend sein.
    Und der Baumstumpf wird da sicher auch wo eingearbeitet.
  16. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looking good so far Stefan,I like your fleshtones!
    keep up
    christos
  17. Stephan PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    here is a small update from the base i want to do

[IMG]

Das Plazieren der Base und auffüllen mit etwas Balsafoam
    The fitting of the base an filling with balsafoam
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Zweimal so groß geschnittenes Balsafoam wird dann den Baum hinten rechts ergeben..
    two pieces of balsafoam glued together, from which I want to do the Tree in the back on the right site
    [IMG]

Hier miteinander verklebt um es dann rund in den Entsprechenden Durchmesser zu bekommen.
    Die Figur ist ja immerhin 150 mm also muss der Baum entsprechend…

[IMG]

Balsafoam nach unten hin in Form geschabt, soll ja mal der Bachlauf rein, der Rest mit EFaplast war das
    Glaube ich aufgefüllt um die Grundform zu bestimmen.
    Zwei Steine aus Balsafoam vorne sind auch dazugekommen.
    Shaped the Balsfoam for small water rinse modelling of the ground

[IMG]

[IMG]

hier gut zu sehen, oben rechts wird der Baum eingepflanzt und die Einarbeitung der runden Resinbase,
    wo der Trapper zum Sitzen kommt.
    look here on the right site the place where the tree will set.
    An the inworking of the round resinbase.

Thanks for your nice comments christos your welcome
  18. Stephan PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    Here are the next steps. I did the tree from the two pieces Balsafoam, and the roots from Magic sculp.
    And a littlebit filling the gaps.
    Next step is the texture of the ground

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Comments are welcome
  19. Stephan PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    Hello Add some stones, rocks and sand

its a small update.
    Hallo nochmal,

[IMG]

[IMG]
  20. Stephan PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    Ok hier hab ich Grundierung genauer Acrylgrundiertung von Gesso draufgepinselt
    [IMG]
    Hier sitzt der Gute mann mal zur Probe, wie man sieht relativiert sich die Größe der Base
    Schon wieder. Meines Erachtens hätte ich den Baum nicht hinter ihn machen sollen, er kommt so gar nicht
    Zur Geltung, aber mal sehen
    [IMG]
    Blaue Linien sind er ungefähre Wasserverlauf, kleines Bachrinnsal bis jetzt Schwarze noch Bäumer
    Und Sträucher und grün wird mit Moos gemacht, natürlich noch ein bischen mehr, aber
    Wollt nur mal andeuten wies werden soll.
    Meiner Meinung nach fehtl dann aber noch einiges um einen Wald richtig zu simmulieren. Ich
    Dachte schon an einen Baumstumpf hinten links oder vielleicht noch einen dünnen Baum.
    [IMG]
    Hier die Blätter die ich mir erarbeitet habe.
    Recherche internet. Download der Bilder, bearbeiten mit Paint und Microsoft Picture it, verkleinern
    Vervielfältigen und dann Besprühen wahrscheinlich und ausschneiden.
    So werden auch noch Farne etc draufkommen. Waldbeeren usw. Das ist nur eine kleine Auswahl zum
    Verdeutlichen was ich vorhabe.
    [IMG]

[IMG]