1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Robin Hood

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by TWOMOONS, May 14, 2010.

1. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    At the risk of posting in the wrong thread, I did see this film this morning, and it is flat out great...now I'm a traditionalist and I go with Sean for James Bond and Errol for Robin,etc., but this film is right up there with the original...and something different in the whole genre...before he becomes the folk hero; rather how he becomes one.
    ...and I can see a whole load of figures coming out of this version.The costuming and sets were among the best , most realistic, I've seen yet....Ridley Scott went for the smallest details here, and it shows all over the film. Just superb.
    A definite don't miss...very exciting and inspiring.
  2. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Saw it the first chance I got. Entertainment-wise 9.5/10.

The film has more humour than one would expect from a Ridley Scott's period epic. It may be a bit light for some.

Works for me.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Robin Hood is a load of bollocks

Hi guys,

I've just come from seeing the new "Robin Hood" movie with my two sons (13 & 14 years old) and I must be honest; I hated it. My youngest son loved all the action scences but my eldest son thought it was a load of Hollywood nonsense and so did I.

In the final scenes of the movie, a completely fictitious French invasion of England is conducted in wooden landing craft, which looked suspiciously like the US landing craft that landed on the beaches of Normandy 1000 years later. I actually laughed when I saw this and that killed any remaining sense of being engaged in the outcome of the battle or the movie.

This movie reminded me of Kingdom of Heaven, Gladiator and Braveheart, but ended up as this weird, predictable, formulaic and confusing combination of all of them, but much less than satisfying.

Maybe I need to lighten up and just enjoy it for the entertainment value, but for me this movie was a big disappointment. Russell Crowe is OK, but he looks and sounds too much like Maximus for me to believe his portrayal of Robin.

I'm sure others will love this movie, but I feel rather ripped off now that I've seen it.

The classic 1930's "The Adventures of Robin Hood" movie starring Errol Flynn wasn't historically accurate but it didn't pretend to be. It was pure Hollywood and was great escapist adventure.

This movie pretends to be a more sober, realistic and historically grounded re-telling of the Robin Hood myth, but I think it fails miserably.
  4. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    ^^^^^^ Would that be a thumbs down then, Tony?
    You mean you didn't like Russell's Irish accent? ...and I agree, it did look a bit like D Day with the LST landing crafts.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Phil,

Two thumbs down for the movie and for Russell's dodgy accent.

I was actually looking forward to this movie and had high expectations of the Ridley Scott/ Russell Crowe combination recapaturing the magic of Gladiator, however I was sadly disappointed.

I understand that Hollywood has always sacrificed history and truth for the sake of agood story, but even so, there are simply too many implausible elements in this film to allow a jaded old movie fan like me to "willingly suspend disbelief".

For example, Russ starts the movie as a lowly archer in King Richard's army returning from the crusades and by the end of the movie he's a knight leading the English army into battle against the French. Oh please!!

And King John burns Magna Carta in front of his nobles and declares Robin an outlaw. Why?? I just didn't understand the point of this fiction. Robin's father, a stonemason, actually is the author of Magna Carta??? Oh really??

Sorry to sound like a jaded old cynic but this movie could have been a triumph, but instead its a laughable tragedy.
  6. Kevin D. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Tony,

I suspected by the trailers that this was going to be a hollywood screw up.... I won't waste the high price of going to the theatre but, then again, based on the others' comments of entertainment, it sounds like a cheap dvd rental some night when I have a figure in hand and need something in the background. Or, I hope... with costume accuracy, a bit more info about painting figures from this time period.

Just one other thought... Since finding this planet website, I've been amazed and pleased in having so many like minded "friends" to share ideas and postings like this.

THANKS one and all that might read this. This is a great website!!!!!

Kevin DeLashmit
  7. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    Crushed, this spells the end of my film criticism phase on Planet.
    I still liked Cate Blanchette galloping at the head of a bunch of feral children warriors on ponies...and I have no idea why.
    The stonemason thing made me wonder, too...but I explained it all away with he was a big deal Knight Templar...maybe Ridley Scott is a Mason?