Robin Hood, 54mm Andrea Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Nov 10, 2008.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Here's my latest WIP, the recently released 54mm figure of Robin Hood by Andrea, as portrayed by the great Aussie actor Errol Flynn in the classic Hollywood swashbuckler "The Adventures of Robin Hood".

I have base coated most of the figure with Vallejo acrylics. There's no shading or highlighting yet, and the skin tones still need some work.

This figure is part of a set of figures of great Australian action movie heroes (Mel Gibson in Braveheart, Russell Crowe in Gladiator, Eric Bana in Troy) that I've been building and painting over many years. Young's latest bust of Russell Crowe as Jack Aubrey will go very nicely with the rest of them.

Hope you like him. Comments welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    ... I had completely forgotten that the quintessential Hollywood swashbuckler was an Australian ... :) well I won't forget anymore now !

I've heard that this is a terrific figure, very, very well sculpted ... look forward to see your completed version of it.
  3. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    You have begun to make a wonderful work.
    I'm looking forward to completion!
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks like you made a great start.

marc
  5. mikec55 Active Member

United-States
    Nice job, so far. Ol' Errol's version of Robin Hood is probably my all-time favorite movie. I'm looking forward to your finished product.

Mike
  6. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Tony,
    Looking good so far.
    Cheers
    John
  7. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Looking good, Tony. That is a nice figure. I'm curious though, why do your Vallejo's look so shiny?

Jason
  8. theseeker Member

United-States
    Tony,
    Only one criticism.....the movie was in black and white, shouldn't the figure be?:D
    Just kidding you Tony! Great painting.
    Rocky
  9. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great start Tony, looking forward to the highlights and shadows.
  10. busso_boy New Member

Australia
    looks great so far
  11. specmod Active Member

Australia
    Hmmmmmm theres something suss about a man in tights? No really, looking good so far mate, look forward as always to seeing your work completed.
    Cheers Andrew
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks to everyone who posted comments. Iappreciate your comments.

I have to say 54mm is a bit too small for my ageing eyes (thank God for magnifiers).

Here are the latest pics. I've now started shadowing and highlighting.

Attached Files:

13. theseeker Member

United-States
    Tony,

I have no idea how you can work with the small scales. Great job on EF and the likeness is great. I am assuming you used oils on the cape?

Rocky
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hiya Rocky,

Mate all done in Valljo acrylics.

These 54mm figs are killing me. Time to recruit another 1/6th scale Naked Army figure from the Grey Army and give my poor eyes a break.
  15. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Nicely done...

...In like Flynn.
    you seem to be a prolific painter, Tony.

Like the finish you achieved. Did you add something like a satin finish for the cloak back?

cheers
  16. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Tony,

Good concept with the "Great Aussie Actors" series but mateeeeeeeee!!!!
    Russ is a kiwi, just like Phar Lap and Crowded House ;-)

Good luck in the England test coming up, hope you guys soften them up for the All Blacks :)

Take care,

Mike
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    G'day Mike,

I was expecting some poor deluded soul from your side of the Tasman to claim Russell Crowe as one of their own.:D:D:D

Russell Crowe, Phar Lap and Crowded House are all New Zealand born, but only became great once they moved to Australia!! Two thirds of Crowded House were Aussies, Russell has an Aussie passport, married an Aussie and lives permanently in Australia. Phar Lap never won a race in NZ but became a Champion race horse in Oz. Nuf said!

Let's face it mate, there are more Kiwi's living in Australia than in New Zealand - what does that tell you!! :p:p If New Zealand is Middle Earth, Australia must be the Undying Lands!!!:D

I don't think the Wallabie are travelling too well at the moment. Only just beat the Italians the other day. All Blacks don't need us to soften up the Poms for them, they'll get the job done mate!
  18. Mark S Guest

Looking good, Tony.
  19. specmod Active Member

Australia
    Mate thats really coming along well,love those vallejo,s, you can do so much with them.
    I dont think that your eyes are going on you, its just that you spoil them with the large scale stuff. Top work
    Cheers Andrew
  20. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Looking really good Tony........one word of advice if I may........beware of the Vallejo's greens, reds and blues.........they remain shiney mate :( happened to me in the past and I guess to many others :( swap them with Andrea or else add a drop of Tamiya X-21 Flat Base..........be careful with this as it WILL chalk your mix if you add TOO MUCH :eek: but if added carefully (a drop from a toothpick will do) it will magically matte your mix :p

Ray ;)