1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Robert E. Lee

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jim Patrick, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Was surfing on the internet when I came across some really good pictures of the house where Rober E. Lee surrendered at. Well, naturally I reached for my Andrea figure and presto chango, I was working at another figure. I really wanted to reproduce something like the parlor in the McCellean house where the surrender papers were signed. I couldn't get even close to the furniture in that scale (54mm) so I decided against it even though I was looking for the "feel" of the parlor. This is what I decided on. There will be a hardwood floor and all you see here. The table is made from a scrap piece of resin wood and some old Verlinden lightpost. There's a lot to be said for hanging on to those old armor modeling pieces :lol: . On the tablr are a pair of glasses, a cup, plate, bible and the lead foil is going to be a map. The chair is Historex. I was wanting to put a candle on the table but couldn't find anything that small that looked realistic. Any ideas? Also, what do you think about a cat standing near his left foot? Or will that be over doing it? Just for you Anders, I will not be painting his sash "Yankee Yellow" :lol: :lol: . I'll be more of a crimson color. At least that's the color it is in the painting of this pose. In any case, this is the area I need the most help in. I really have a hard time setting a scene for a figure that doesn't come in the kit.

Let me know what ya'll think,
    Jim Patrick

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    The scene looks good, Jim. IMO the cat would be over doing it. That figure of Lee has to be the best likeness of him in miniature I've ever seen! I feel adding any more "figures" would detract from that wonderful face and pose.

As far as the sash goes...plllllleeeaassse, stay away from crimson. I don't believe I've ever seen Lee portrayed wearing a red sash. Anyone else seen otherwise?

Looking forward to seeing him painted :)

Jason
  3. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Don't worry Jason, it won't be red....just a joke between Anders and me. He sure does have a fondness for "Confederate Gold". I agree with the likeness. Looking forward to painting this too.

Jim Patrick
  4. Joe Hudson Active Member

United-States
    Hey Jim,

I really like it and look forward to seeing you paint it up. One thing that I think I would do and this is just me ;) I think I would have the map rolled up and tied or either folded and then have the glasses on top of the bible and get rid of the cup and plate. I think it is a little over kill with the size of the table. Hey this is just me so I know you will make it a nice piece whichever way you decided to do it.

Joe
  5. milminwh Member

Hi Jim,
    I visited the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA a few months ago, and they had the actual uniform that Lee surrended to Grant on display. It was a brand new uniform (never previously worn by Lee), and I remember being somewhat surprised at the shade of gray, which is much darker than the Andrea box art, and darker than the usual CSA gray depicted in paintings and on figures. Also, the coat contained the gold sleeve braid which designated his rank, and is not included on this figure (can be added by using the Nimix photo etched accessories, or painted on). The gloves were a tan color and his hat was light gray. I thought I remembered a crimson sash, but after reading Jason's post, now I'm not sure! (sorry!). Museum also had his pistol and binoculars on display. He brought his sword with him, with the intention of presenting to Grant, but Grant refused to take it, so you may want to add a sword in a scabbard.
    This Andrea figure is actually based on a photo taken of Lee by photographer Matthew Brady and was taken outside his home in Richmond well after the surrender. It can be easily adapted, however, to represent Lee at Appomatox.

I do have one question: what are you using for the eyeglasses?

The table/chair set up looks excellent and certainly gives the scene a real 19th century parlor look & feel.

I look forward to seeing more photos!

Regards,

John
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looks good Jim.......I like the scene you are doing. Look forward to your next step
  7. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    John,

Thanks for your input on Lee's uniform, I plan on doing thsi figure in the very near future.
  8. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jim,
    Very inspirational you've given me an idea for this figure.
  9. bucsfan21 Active Member

United-States
    Jim, Definitely a great idea! I lreally like the way you have staged Lee alongside the table. Super use of imagination and figure and accessories. The items:map and glasses and Bible are excellent choices. I look forward to seeing it painted. Bring it to Atlanta! Sorry you were not able to come this year as I was looking forward to meeting you.

Best of Everything, Terry Martin
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wow! That is a great figure. As far as the sash goes, I'm really starting to develope a pet peeve with it being painted and shown as crimson/red, it's the wrong color for a General officer. Andrea needs to get on the ball and get it right, the info is readily available. This Frock coat that is in the Museum of the Confederacy is suppose to be the one he wore at the surrender. Please note that two buttons are missing from the front.~Gary
  11. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for all the comments guys. When I start planning a scene from scratch, I usually think it looks good until I see what someone else has done. That's why I ran it past you guys first, to see what you thought. Joe, actually, I think your'e right. I like the idea of the table being so busy though. I'll probably make the table bigger. Add a little more balance over there. Thanks by the way for stirring up those creative juice too Joe. I made that candle and holder. I little fancy but not too much so. I only need to add a little finger hole on it now. Kinda funny what some fancy iron bars, a shell casing and some plastic rod will turn into. John, the glasses came from a German WWII figure. The fig came with a "Show Modeling" photoetch set I think. Had it for years waiting to use them. I finally did. In my first post I wanted to go into a little more detail about the figure and the uniform. Thanks to Jason's and John's post, now I will. Very good info in their posts by the way. As far as I can tell, Lee wore about 3 or 4 uniforms. The most frequent uniform he wore was that of a colonel. This uniform on the figure doesn't represent the most popular but does represent a colonel's uniform. As far as I can tell, Lee always wore his high riding boots and the only time I have seen or heard of him wearing pants in a photo was all post war. The figure is based directly off the photo (I think it's a photo).

[IMG]

Here is a painting based on the photo but you can clearly see the artist added some things like the crimson sash. Compare it to the photo and you can see it's not that dark. Probably more of a yellow (happy Anders?). Here it is.

[IMG]

Finally, here is one of the photos of Lee taken by Brady after the war in back of his house (it was illeagl to wear a confederate uniform after the war).

[IMG]

Also of note is the fact that the figure has two stripes running down each leg. As you can see, these stripes were not present in any of the pictures. Not a hard thing to remove, just wanted all of you to be aware. I'll leave with this one final thought. As Jason and I said earlier, this is without a doubt, the best likeness of Rober E. Lee that has came out yet. If you don't own it, you should!

Thanks,
    Jim Patrick

I stand corrected. Brady took the photo from the front porch.
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jim, O that sash thing continues to haunt me. Anyway, one thing about period photography is that sometimes white or light colored items photographed dark. So if you see a soldier that appears to have dark piping on his jacket/coat it could have really been white, yellow, or light blue etc.~Gary