1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Robert E Lee from Legion Miniatures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi all

Following on from details of releases in Legions " Greatest Men " series of bust a parcel arrived and amongst the items in there was the subject of the review .

Someone who needs no introduction , ask anyone to say a ACW leader and his name will feature ....it is of course:

LEE.jpg

Lee was commander of the Confederate forces in a bloody war and IMO the stress of this leant heavy on him but he was liked by his men for sure

Playing a prominant part in the battle of Gettysburg amongst many others , this was depicted in the film of the same name played by Martin Sheen

LEE FILM.jpg xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg

Distinctive in his simple dress , the famous photographer Matthew Brady took a photo of General Lee in late April 1865 on the back porch of Lee's home in Richmond.

This portrait is often referred to as the "Back Porch Uniform".

It is not known if this coat is in existence today, however, it was most likely Cadet Grey- Lee's preferred color choice.

The collar and cuffs are plain without trim color. Sleeve Braid was not used- making this a type of field uniform.

The collar is a laydown civilian style and has three five pointed stars without the typical general's wreath surrounding the stars- usually indicative of a full Colonel.

Virginia State seal Staff buttons are supplied for the front in the General's button pattern- four sets of 2.
    [IMG]
    The rank stars were similar to the larger centre one in this ranking from a original coat that apparently belonged to a Major General Thomas Lafayette and sold by action for a high amount

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.jpg

Lee's most distinctive feature was IMO the hair style flicked up at each side , again seen in pictures and portraits

x.jpg

xx.jpg XXXXXXXXXXXXX.jpg xxa.jpg

xxx.jpg xxxx.jpg XXXXX.jpg XXXXXXXXX.jpg XXXXXXXXXX.jpg XXXXXXXXXXXX.jpg

[IMG]

Books as always feature in my reviews and are easy to find, here are a couple from me

xxxxxx.jpg xxxxxxx.jpg (No's 1 and 3 cover the Union Army)

XXXXXXXX.jpg xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg

000000.jpg

Continued in next post

Nap
    Billy Dickinson and Jed like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets look at the resin

Title: Peter Bagration ( In Russian on the review box ) part of "The Greatest Men " series

Reference: LMBT113

Scale: 1/10th

No of pieces: 4

Material: Medium Gray resin

Sculptor: Alexander Bodunov

Casting: In house

Box Art: N/A on the review sample

Prep

Legion continue to be a major player in the mkarket in respect subjects and quality and this continues ...again a lot of words explaining for minimal actual work !!!
    • 3 castings excess blocks to remove from underneath left arm ...nice to see them all easy to get to and in one place
    • Remove a tiny bit of excess resin along the lower edge ...slight sanding
    • Remove a tiny casting line a back of hair at lower edge and cut away casting post from under neck and fit
    • Make up 2 part base after removing excess resin and small flashing ( if you choose to use this)
    Again the parts were in a nice laser cut box with a unpainted version of the piece on the lid , inside parts were sandwiched between foam layers and held in a resealable clear bag

LEGION GENERAL LEE 001.jpg

Parts consist of torso , head and a 2 part base

LEGION GENERAL LEE 002.jpg

Torso

Obviously the largest piece of resin showing off the simplicity of the actual clothing worn by Lee , the coat secured over to the right with the buttons in pairis , the buttons are nicely rounded with no detaisl on ...you could use paint to details up

The jacket is worn opened out at the collar with button holes showing ...for me they could be slightly shorter , the lapel edging is rounded off nicely

Under the jacket there is the buttoned up waistcoat high cut unde this a shirt , the edging is nicely worked

He wears a bow tie , personally I would use a bit of putty on the edges where it meets the coat and build it up slightly

On each side of the collar 3 x 5 sided stars , these are a good shaping and add a little bit of interest to what could be a plain piece

Folds and creases are not overworked which is good to see , on the review on the right arm a tiny hole needed filling ...esy to do so not a big deal

At the rear the bist is shaped cutting just below the shoulders , shaping continues towards the underside where a shaped piece of resin allows fitment of the base

LEGION GENERAL LEE 003.jpg LEGION GENERAL LEE 006.jpg
    LEGION GENERAL LEE 007.jpg LEGION GENERAL LEE 005.jpg
    LEGION GENERAL LEE 008.jpg LEGION GENERAL LEE 004.jpg
    LEGION GENERAL LEE 009.jpg LEGION GENERAL LEE 010.jpg
    LEGION GENERAL LEE 011.jpg

Head

As I've said before this is what all look at on a bust ...is it right on this piece ....a certain YES from me a really good sculpt of the man , very good eye and nose work the high forehead , bags under the eyes ...accentuated by the strain of command no doubt

The hair is a really very well shaped and formed , in the style at the sides , a parting is seen on the left the hair sweeping over the head top to fall in curls on the left , under the hair the ears are well done and well styled

The beard is less fuller and trimmed as in pictures , textured downwards , the mouth hidden as such between the moustache and beard

This will really paint well and the character of Lee will come out

LEGION GENERAL LEE 017.jpg LEGION GENERAL LEE 013.jpg

LEGION GENERAL LEE 016.jpg LEGION GENERAL LEE 014.jpg

LEGION GENERAL LEE 015.jpg LEGION GENERAL LEE 018.jpg

LEGION GENERAL LEE 012.jpg

Base

[IMG]

Consisting of 2 parts with the T piece fits onto the underside shaping with the circular part fits against the curve .....making this base:

[IMG]

( this picture is from the previous review here: https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/marshall-konstantin-rokossovsky-from-legion-miniatures.203237/) but the base fits the same !!

Final Thoughts

Agood choice of subject , I am hoping we will see more from the ACW , perhaps the more flamboyant leaders like George Pickett amongst others

This is not a colourful subject but painting will be a good challeng for the brushes , not only in getting the unorm colour right but also the stars and of course the hair

At the end you will have a good display piece

There are others in "The Greatest Men" series from other periods of history

As always I have enjoyed the review hope you have found it interesting and constructive:)

RECOMMENDED zx.jpg

Legion are members here ( user ID Andrey )

[IMG]

....so you can order direct from him here on PF or via the website which is:

www.legionminiatures.org

They also have a FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/214757915731528/

Thanks to Legion for the review item and to you all for looking in

Enjoy your bench time

Nap
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great info as always Kevin.
    Many thanks for showing this fine casting.
    Stay safe.
    Keith
  4. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice review Kevin.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  5. Old Pete Active Member

Scotland
    I believe this uniform is in the museum of the Daughters of the Confedrecy in Richmond and is a darkish grey but this may be due to age as I saw it there when i went on the tours at the first Expo.This is not Lee,s hair style most artists have copied it from the photo you showed his hair is like that as he has just taken his hat off
    Nap and Viking Bob like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Would love to see a picture of that if possible , I would imagine it has darkened with age ....good point ref hair as well .....I think his forehead woukd be lighter in colour due to being under a hat ?

Keith/Andrew

Many thanks for the comments

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Wings5797 likes this.
  7. Noel Walker Active Member

Well Let's hope it is still intact. Terrorists broke windows and torched the inside. I do know a Stonewall Jackson flag was incinerated along with irreplaceable manuscripts and books
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    That is aweful ..historical treasures irreplaceable

Nap
    Noel Walker likes this.
  9. Chiariello Member

Italy
    A review that leaves no doubt about the excellent quality of the piece, thank you very much(y)
    Nap likes this.
  10. Old Pete Active Member

Scotland
    I stupidly did,nt take any pictures,It seemed very small by todays standards and Lee was thought to be quite tall.Thats terrible news about the arson you ca,nt change history no matter how try.Thay also had A P Hill,s sword you may be interested to know he was buried three times,he was shot at the break through at Petersburg and buried near where he fell after the surrender he was moved to I think hollywood cemetry and later moved to underneath his statue in the avenue of heros in Richmond.I hope you do,nt find this to boreing:)
    PS excuse any spelling mistakes:(
    Nap likes this.
  11. Len K. Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have painted Lee a number of times and researched his uniform/s extensively. The bust is a very good likeness and the uniform on the sculpture appears to be a later war uniform. Early war through Gettysburg Lee wore a cadet gray (blue/gray) coat with a stand up collar (as in the "Booted And Spurred" photo and in the Tunison sculpt. When he surrendered he wore a coat with a lay down collar that is like the one on the bust. This coat is in the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond and there are numerous photos of it on line.

374scr_f69b5054fe7f302.jpg IMG_3685.jpg