1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Rising Sun flag done

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi,
    Well...I finally managed to get the Rising Sun flag on my kamikaze bust.
    My first attempt at a decal was a waste of time. The paper was old and the bitmap image printed out very rough looking.
    Then I tried hand painting it...twice. No luck.
    What I eneded up doing was to draw it using AutoCAD and printing it on brand new white decal paper. This looked good but didn't want to stick to the model so I
    had to paint the surface with clear satin finish first and then again on top of the decal. The red ink had flaked off a little so I went over the whole thing with Cad. Red Deep oil paint.
    I'd appreciate hearing what you think of it and any other suggestions you'd have for me.
    Thanks,
    Craig
    Here are the results....

Attached Files:

2. y_wong New Member

Hey Craig,

That's a cool looking bust. Very well painted both the flesh and the jacket.

regards :lol:
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work Craig......the flag really turned out well to compliment a beautiful bust.
  4. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    That looks just great!

Not only is the flag itself great but I salute your ingenuity, too :) !

Keith
  5. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Craig!

Great work on the flag, it really worked out good!
  6. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
  7. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the kind comments and for taking the time to make them.
    I'm glad you like the flag.
    I still have a few problems with it but it's the best I've managed so... :) .
    Thanks again,
    Craig
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig, Very nice job on the bust, including the rising sun. I would only suggest maybe a glaze or shadow in the lower parts of the folds of the patch/emblem to tone it down and make it more dimentional..~Gary
  9. amherbert Member

Super job Craig!!!

The flag looks great. I agree with Gary, some differentiation on the flag would add that final touch.

Man it looks good!!!

Andy
  10. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Gary and Andy,
    I agree, there's something just not right with the patch. I think it's just looks too much like what it is, a decal. And the whole thing is too intense compared to the rest of the piece. There are really no natural folds in the patch except the vertical ones of the jacket so I'm not sure how I could do what you guys have suggested.

When I made the decal, I also printed some without the red ink. Just the black lines that define the circle and the rays. I may redo the patch using this and totally hand paint the red.

Or....I could just repaint the red area and add some black to it to tone down the intensity. And then maybe paint the white with Parchment.
    What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Craig
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Craig,

Now that Gary mentioned it it does look a little 'flat' and too clean. Maybe do like you said, and tone it down with some paint over the decal, and you can add some highlights and shadows then too. Put some future on it and then you can just wipe the oils off if you mess up.
  12. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    I've been thinking about what you all have said about the flag looking "flat".
    Take a look at these 2 pictures and see if they better show how the flag sits on the figure. You're right, it does look flat in the picture I first posted but these may better show how it really is on the figure. Let me know what you think please.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Attached Files:

13. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    And the other one...

Attached Files:

14. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Craig,

The flag position and 'shape' looks great, what I ment by flat is more like monotone, not highlighted and shaded like the rest of the bust which makes it stand out against the rest of the bust.
  15. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Okay..now I understand what you mean.
    Thanks Anders :)
    Craig