1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Rifles Peninsular collection - an ongoing project in 40mm

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Windy, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Windy Active Member

England
    Cheers mate. I started painting figures when I was a kid, but stopped when I discovered booze and women! I never lost my interest though and started again about three years ago at the age of 43.

As for the project, recreating a bit of regi history seemed like a good idea. It also helps that we've pinched the histories of almost half of Wellington's Peninsular army! Just look at Salamanca, Hulse's Brigade (which took on Ferey's Division late in the day earning the Devons earned their nickname) was made up of the 11th, 53rd and 61st, supported by a company of the 60th. They're all now part of The Rifles - one from each founding regiment.

Might get some painting done this evening but I had to do a couple of alterations and I'm waiting for the miliput to dry first.

Also got the finale of Walking Dead season 6 to watch with the boy!

Cheers,

Windy
    anstontyke and peedee like this.
  2. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Windy, Thanks for sharing your work with Perry Miniatures. I enjoyed viewing your painted figures. Hope you continue enjoying the hobby. It is always there
    for each of us when we can break away from the 9-5 and other responsibilities.

Kindest Regards, Terry Martin-Member of the Atlanta Miniature Figure Society(y)
    peedee likes this.
  3. Windy Active Member

England
    Thanks Terry. There are more to come, glad you like 'em!
    napoleonpeart and peedee like this.
  4. Windy Active Member

England
    Another one finished - Glosters this time, the 28th Regiment of Foot. I had to make a few alterations before I started, I swapped the shako for one without a neck flap so I could show the back badge and changed the lace from single to pairs. He was going to be grenadier company but apparently they were equipped with French calfskin backpacks and my meagre sculpting skills don't quite stretch that far! So he's Light Company. Please ignore his mahoosive shovel-like hands, there's nothing I can do about them!

20160416_163048.jpg

And the rear view showing the back badge:

20160416_163316.jpg
    anstontyke, peedee, Old Pete and 4 others like this.
  5. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This could end up as a huge collection of one offs if you follow up with other campaigns.
    Your display cabinet is going to be inpressive when you finish.

Paul.
    Windy and Viking Bob like this.
  6. Windy Active Member

England
    I'm calling this done for now! I had a sudden burst of energy and finished the last four figures.
    This one's from Old Glory, a Centre Company Sergeant, 53rd (Shropshire) Regt of Foot:

20160426_231619.jpg

A Private, 51st (2nd Yorkshire West Riding) Light Infantry:

20160515_160457.jpg

Another from Old Glory, Centre Company Officer, 61st (South Gloucestershire) Regt of Foot:

20160517_123136.jpg

And finally, a Private, Grenadier Company, 62nd (Wiltshire) Regt of Foot:

20160525_000540.jpg

There are still four more that I could portray but none of them fought in the Peninsular. The 13th Somersets, 46th South Devons (later DCLI), 49th Hertfordshires (later Royal Berkshires), and 54th West Norfolks (later 2nd Dorsets). But they're for another day!

Windy out.
    anstontyke, peedee, Old Pete and 2 others like this.
  7. Oda A Fixture

You must be really proud to be one of the heirs to such an illustrious and glorious legacy as that of Rifles.It is highly commendable on your behalf that you chose to study the history and tradition of your regiment and represent in three dimensions.Excellent start and I hope that you will continue with similar projects in even larger scales.

Oda.
    Windy, anstontyke and peedee like this.
  8. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Not only are these great models but show my fabourite use for copper coins !

Well done.

Looking forward to seeing the remainder in time.

Paul.
    Windy likes this.
  9. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    great collection and a fitting tribute to some great regiments(y),
    Windy and peedee like this.
  10. Windy Active Member

England
    Thanks for all your kind comments guys! My ex is taking the boy to Cornwall for half term so I might be able to make a start on my next project. Same genre but ever so slightly bigger. Eeek!

20160326_131129.jpg
    Mat Lambert likes this.
  11. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Crikey !
    I thought you had packed the wee lad ready to travel as a member of the 52nd for a minute then.

Enjoy your new 'biggun' mate.

Paul.
    anstontyke and Windy like this.
  12. Windy Active Member

England
    Haha! Cheers Paul. I won't be starting it today though, we had a permanent staff "development day" yesterday and I'm woefully hungover! Hopefully tomorrow.
    peedee likes this.
  13. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I like that phrase, we should have one of those at our place.

Every Friday afternoon by the sound of it....enjoy your week.
    I hope you have bought some cardboard plates to make life easier.

Paul.

Paul
    Windy likes this.
  14. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice project with the Perrys figures- and nicely painted too. Will make a great display. Enjoy the larger figure it looks like a good one to start with.
    Cheers
    Mat
    Windy likes this.
  15. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    You will enjoy this one I have mine on the go now. Keep up the good work.
    Windy likes this.
  16. Windy Active Member

England
    Thanks guys. It's so big I don't know where to even start! I've also got no idea why the picture keeps on coming out sideways. Bloody technology! :confused:

20160529_091420.jpg