1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Riders of Rohan

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by je_touche, Nov 6, 2006.

1. je_touche Member

Germany
    Hello girls and guys,

after having been around on pF for a while I would like to show you one of my models. It's a small diorama I finished lately. Usually, I am into historical figurines, but I liked the GW Lord of the Rings figures so much that I decided to use them for a diorama. This was my first plunge into 28 mm scale. More generally, I work in 54 mm, 40 mm, and 1/72nd scales.

Though the GW figurines are nice as they are I reworked them quite a bit, replacing the cast-on horse tails with electric wire, carving away the reins and replacing them by ones cut from thin metal foil, carving horseshoes into the hooves, adding stirrups and some horse tag, lengthening spears, sanding down shields to scale thickness and painting on designs of my own, hollowing out sleeves, changing horses' poses for variety, adding bowstrings, and so forth. Some of the changes can be seen on the WIP-shot. Painting was done with mixtures of enamels and oils over acrylics. White metals were painted in Rose metallic colour, yellow metals in different shades of yellow ochre and varnished.

I know this forum is mainly about the bigger scales, but I find the GW LotR figures grossly underestimated and well worth the effort. Let me know what you think about the result, critical comments welcome.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work on adding the extra details you have. This forum is all scales....all genre's of figures and yours are more than welcome. I work on an occasional fantasy figure myself. Thanks for posting.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Absolutely stunning.
    I like the dio. And the 28 mm are so small. Great work.

Marc
  4. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Very nice and inspiring, Andreas!

I have some of these figures myself with several scenes on my "to-do"-list.

Yours turned out great.

Cheers
  5. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Very nice work! All scales are welcome here, and many of us here do smaller scale work as well as the large stuff. Thanks for posting.
  6. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Very nice Andreas! You have improved these GW figures. (y)

I like the layout of your diorama as well.

I have some Riders of Rohan waiting to be finished as well.

Wendy
  7. Jon Metters Member

Right on. I also like smaller scales - and I'm a big fan of the LOTR stuff. You've done a great job of it.

Jon Metters
  8. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Andreas,
    well done! I really like the dapple you acheived on the horse. Especially impressive when you condsider the scale. Great composition and action packed layout!

Jay H.
    OKC
  9. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Andreas, very nice, my compliments.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  10. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good work on such a small scale!
    best regards
    christos
  11. je_touche Member

Germany
    Thanks all for your nice comments. I am glad you like it.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine put his photos of the diorama through the photoshop (thanks Frank Becker!). I'd like to show you his interpretation.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  12. viltianus Active Member

Poland
    I like Rohan, I like Professor Tolkien and his stories, and your diorama is really beautiful...
  13. je_touche Member

Germany
    Dziękuję Ci Kasiu, ja także jestem wielkim fanem Tolkiena. :)
  14. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Well, It's easier to make a large diorama with those smaller scales. But it's not necessarely easier to paint
  15. viltianus Active Member

Poland
    Andreas - :eek: no nie spodziewałam się! :)
    Some weeks ago I've painted 15 Riders of Rohan for my friend from Krakow. There were 13 riders on white, grey, and some similar horses, one rider - captain - on black horse and one, standard-bearer, on bay horse. Tomorrow - if you agree - I will show photos of these minis.
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice job. It's great seeing someone take that extra step, giving the figures a different look rather than just painting them stock.~Gary
  17. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Really good stuff, look forward to seeing more ;)
  18. Frank-Holger Member

Andreas, PLEASE MORE PICS! I love the way you rendered those minis, really!

Great work!

Frank
  19. Simon New Member

Very nice diorama ! Ładnie się preszentuje ;) It looks very good, which is, imo, hard to achieve with LotR minis ;) You inspired me to do something with my Orc warriors.. maybe you have photos of conversions ? And, the tails are just copper wires ?
  20. Kyle Member

United-States
    Excellent work, Andreas. You've captured the scence very dramatically. Great painting. I think I would go blind trying to paint in 28m! You've done a great job of it.

Nice work!

Kyle ;)