1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Rickenbacker from Dolman Miniatures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to all

As promised and running along with this review piece and the kickstarter

https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/georges-guynemer-from-dolman-miniatures.288908/

Here's the Kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dolman-miniatures/ww1-characters?ref=android_project_share

We continue to pay tribute to WW1 aviation aces this time its Captain Eddie Rickenbacker

image.jpeg

Above artwork which will be the boxart from SCOTT PASISHNEK

Some more views of the piece ( click on images for a larger view )

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Scott has also done a You Tube video on the painting of this uniform colour here:

Who was Eddie Rickenbacker well when the USA entered the war in 1917 he was earning in excess of $40,000 a year as a racing driver but under the slightly germanic sounding name of Richenbacher which he changed in light of the anti german feeling

Joining the air service he was considerd a better engineer initially and was put in charge of that section at Issoudun , he constantly requested transfer to a fighting sqn but was told at 28 he wAs too old!!!....Eddie was not happy but after a visit by Pershing during which he repaired his car the transfer was approved and he was posted to 94 Sqn under Luftbery .

He had a great respect for the RFC pilots and the tactics they used became Rickenbacker's , always flying and success followed reaching a total of 26 confirmed kills , known as "The Ace of Aces"

aaaaaaaaaa.jpg aaa.jpg aaaa.jpeg aaaaa.jpeg aaaaaa.jpg aaaaaaa.jpg aaaaaaaa.jpg

a.jpg
    aa.JPG
    aaa.jpg
    aa.jpg aaaaa.jpg aaaaaa.jpg

[IMG]
    [IMG]

a11.jpg a1.jpg a111.jpg

Above shows the United States Army Air Service (USAAS) Type M1912/1917 officer's uniform coat coat worn by Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker; single breasted drab wool with five brass buttons down front; two upper patch pockets and two lower patch pockets with brass buttoned flap; stiff or "choker" collar; single gold officer's lace on each cuff; epaulets; brass "U.S." insignia on right collar; Winged Propeller Air Service insignia on left collar; three overseas service chevrons on left cuff; Distinguished Service Cross ribbon with 7 oak leaf clusters (on 2 ribbons), French Legion of Honor ribbon, French Croix de Guerre ribbon with 3 palm leaves.

The following are recommended as good reading

[IMG][IMG]
    aaaa.jpg [IMG]

Continued in next post

Nap
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Now to the release

Title: WW1 USA Pilot Edward Vernon Rickenbacker ( Eddie )

Ref : N/A

Scale: 1/10th

No of Pieces: 2 ( extra head on my copy )

Material: Lt Gray Resin

Sculpting: 3D

Casting: In house

Box Art: N/A on review but now completed by Scott Pasishnek

As with Guynemer my version was cast pre kickstarter but the details will be exactly the same , 2 scales available in the bust version 1/10th and 1/12th with full figure version also available

When you support the kickstarter you will get the opportunity to get additional items

My copy was received in the same clear flip over container with pieces in bags and surrounded by bubble wrap

The parts consisted of torso and 2 heads ( one with side cap the other service cap ) , no base is included

Dolman Rickebacker 001.jpg

As you can see very few pieces to deal with again all resin is very smoothly cast with minimal prep needed consisting of :
    • Remove excess resin and casting line from underneath
    • Sand away casting line on each lower arm
    • Remove casting line fromrear of head/headwear
    • Choose head option
    That's it !!

Torso

Looking at the sculpt there appears to quite a simple bust to paint but you have the challenges of the uniform colour , leather , metallics and of course the medal ribbons and of course the fleshwork

Again the casting is very good with nice work on the pockets edging and the the flaps , good undercuts , to note is the tailor seams and the edging at the centre , button work is good both here and on the epaulettes

On the epaulettes there is the 2 bar rank badge of a Captain , sharply cast

On the collar on each side the US and winged propeller insignia , again careful painting will bring these out well

The collar is upright and pleased to see with no knocks on the edging , the neck area has a more than suitable cut out to take the head

Across the chest a crossbelt as with Guynmer well detailed the end of the strap slightly raised up

Above the left pocket are the medals ribbons with the palms etc on , above these the pilots wings and to the left the sqn badge of a top hat in a oval ...again painting will bring these out well

Folds and creases are softly worked and look natural

Dolman Rickebacker 008.jpg
    Dolman Rickebacker 005.jpg

Dolman Rickebacker 007.jpg Dolman Rickebacker 004.jpg
    Dolman Rickebacker 007.jpg Dolman Rickebacker 006.jpg Dolman Rickebacker 009.jpg
    Dolman Rickebacker 002.jpg

Head (s)

I was given 2 options one the service dress and the other the side cap which is the one that is generally seen being worn in period pictures of the man

The inclusion of the peaked cap version adds a different aspect to the piece , more formal

This applies to both versions ...of f course the question is has the facial features been captured ...with 3D in use then its a YES from me , obviously the same head but there's a slight smile showing but serious as well

Details are very good right down to a spot by right nostril

Eyes, ears and nose are all well worked and as we have seen in Scott's artwork painting with oils brings it all out

Hair texture is there but where my versions were cast its quite soft at the rear so will IMO need a little reworking

The side cap is very well shown with good buttons and the rank tabs showing from underneath at the front view

The other headwear is very well cast particularly the peak and its worn at a slightly jaunty angle , good texture on the central band, below this the leather strap , above the USA eagle badge

I suspect we might see more versions with the sidecap but the other is a good option as well

Dolman Rickebacker 018.jpg Dolman Rickebacker 016.jpg

Dolman Rickebacker 017.jpg Dolman Rickebacker 015.jpg

Dolman Rickebacker 014.jpg Dolman Rickebacker 010.jpg

Dolman Rickebacker 013.jpg Dolman Rickebacker 011.jpg

Dolman Rickebacker 010.jpg Dolman Rickebacker 012.jpg

Final Thoughts

This is a good release , not as so full od details at Guynmer one that will look great painted up , details are really well cast , with a little careful prep needed on the head as we have seen but nothing beyond most modellers ability

I hope Dolman continue to pay tribute to the air warriors and look at the lesser known "Aces" for instance from Austro Hungary, Belgium, Russia etc

Purchasing was no problem when dealing with Eduardo at Dolman with shipping being fast and efficient

Couple of the 3D images from Dolman
    5.JPG 1.jpg

RECOMMENDED zx.jpg

Dolmans website is : www.dolmanminiatures.com

They also have a social media page of course

and also a member of Planet Figure

https://www.planetfigure.com/members/eduardo-sanchez-barbero.7541/

[IMG]

Thanks for looking in

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Knill22, Lissorles, dmcHobbes and 3 others like this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I watched the video in YouTube, showing the process of painting Khaki, this looks a great bust. Nice review Nap, well done.
    Mike - The Kiwi and Nap like this.
  4. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Good review Kev. It certainly looks like the man. Nice option of the SD cap or the more typical "chip bag". Didn't realise he was a racing driver pre WW1. I guess he's the name most folk would quote if you asked them about WW1 US air aces

Phil
  5. dmcHobbes Active Member

United-States
    I really like the bust and the review. The side cap is also what I see in the photos of that time. The YouTube video was a nice added touch. I have always liked WWI pilot busts. The first American trained pilot flying in an American Squadron, the 94th Aero, to shoot down an enemy plane was Douglas Campbell ( no relation). The other pilot was Alan Winslow, French trained, who got the first shoot down during the same mission. Campbell was also the first American trained ace. Sorry, just had to get that plug in.

Doug
    Airkid and Nap like this.
  6. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks for the review Nap. A very nice bust indeed.

For those interested in learning more about the air war in WW1 I heartily recommend the book "Marked for Death: The First War in the Air" by James Hamilton-Paterson. An eye-opening book explaining the trials and hazards faced by pilots that are often left out by other accounts. I couldn't put it down.

Best
    Gerry
    dmcHobbes likes this.