1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Rick Rescorla

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Vic, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Vic New Member

United-Kingdom
    I've got a mind to make this my second ever attempt at sculpting but might be being a bit ambitious!
    The subject is Rick Rescorla a Cornish man from England who served in the British forces, moved to America and became a US citizen. Served in the US forces and was a Hero in Vietnam and died a true hero saving the best part of 3000 lives from the trade centre on 9/11
    The book "Heart of a Soldier" covers his life.

I've fancied sculpting him since I read the book.

I'm happy trying the body and equipment but I think I'll fall down on the face and hands.
    Still we'll see
    IMG_3893.JPG The-Pa1.jpg Armyprint_233018.jpg
    garyhiggins and ChaosCossack like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Vic,

Welcome to the planet ....all credit to you for even attempting this ..I might have managed the wire !!

Lots of great sculptors here all only too willing to help!!

Looking forwrd to more

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Wings5797 and Vic like this.
  3. Vic New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Nap
  4. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some people are born to be heroes, and they are often the most modest of individuals. I'm looking forward to this one.

Mike
    Vic likes this.
  5. Vic New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Mike, yes I think your comment sums up Rick Rescorla very well.
    I hope I can get a half decent result, it's going to take a while and I'm sure lots of bits will end up I. The bin :)
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    What scale is your figure, Vic? I think you'll find that your mound of Sculpey or whatever it is won't hold the figure properly to allow you to sculpt it. I recommend putting a wire thru one foot or boot [if it doesn't already extend thru] and then using a clamp or just simple hemostats. Clamps range in price from cheap to pricey. Hemostats are relatively cheap. Hemostats will hold a figure upright on a table (most of the time).

Keep at it!

All the best,
    Dan
    Vic likes this.
  7. Vic New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dan
    He's going to be 75mm.
    Thanks for the heads up on the clamps, I'll have a look.
    I was just using the Sculpy to get an of his stance and for the photo , I hadn't thought about a clamp to hold him while working.

Catch you later.
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Off to a good start. Interesting project idea.
    I'm certainly no pro sculptor, but from an observer's point of view, if you reference the photo and illustration you may want to drop the shoulders slightly. The subject has markedly sloped shoulders whereas your mannequin has very square boxy shoulders. You'll end up with a bodybuilder figure once you start adding the uniform.
    It's a quick fix if you haven't gone too much further.

Following closely

Colin
    Vic likes this.
  9. Vic New Member

United-Kingdom
    Yes good point Colin, thanks.
    I just made a standard mannequin without taking much notice, just shows you have to pay attention right from the start eh!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Bill Horan makes the problem with starting with anything but a skinny armature body really clear (for me) in his Masterclass book. If you can find a copy, I recommend it!

Most hand hobby clamps (usually cheap plastic with a wire spring) aren't worth a nickel, much less what the hobby supplier charges for them. A simple hemostat can be purchased many places online and is much more functional for holding a figure or miscellaneous pieces. I've never bought anything but straight hemostats. No need for a curved one. I know one guy that uses old-fashioned spring and clamp clothes pins instead of hemostats.

As far as a larger sculpting or painting clamp jig, I have tried to use them in the past and for various reasons not had much luck with them. Painters seem to use them a lot.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

Wings5797 and ChaosCossack like this.
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Much easier to build up from a skinny frame. Gives lots of room to maneuver. Dan's right, the Horan Masterclass book is awesome for us newbie sculptors.

Check it out

Colin