1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

RICK GRIMES- The Walking Dead 1/9 scale

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by 1969, Jun 5, 2014.

1. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Toward the latter part of 2013 I lost my drive for sculpting and modelling in general, I took the time out and watched a lot of T.V and caught up with a few series I had not seen. As a result I got a urge to do a full figure of the leading character Rick Grimes, played by Andrew Lincoln from The Walking Dead series.
    One of if not the most enjoyable sculpt I have done to date, sculpted in Magicsculp and aluminium foil creating the woven effect leather holster/belt and pouches.

Daryl Dixon on the cards next to sculpt so they can be displayed together.

Figure is 1/9scale 200mm.

Thoughts and comments most welcome,
    All the best
    Steve
    copy 200 rick 1 - Copy (6).JPG The-Walking-Dead-02-poster - Copy.jpg copy 200 rick 1 - Copy (1).JPG copy 200 rick 1 - Copy (2).JPG copy 200 rick 1 - Copy (3).JPG copy 200 rick 1 - Copy (4).JPG copy 200 rick 1 - Copy (1).JPG copy 200 rick 1 - Copy (2).JPG copy 200 rick 1 - Copy (3).JPG copy 200 rick 1 - Copy (4).JPG copy 200 rick 1 - Copy (5).JPG
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent Steve, good to have you back on the putty.(y)
    1969 likes this.
  3. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    very nice steve I love the series and you have caought rick very well in deed.

Ian
    1969 likes this.
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That is a terrific sculpt and if you're going to release it, it's one that I would certainly consider buying as I am a great fan of the series.

As someone who wouldn't know how to begin sculpting even the most basic figure, I'm always hesitant to nit-pick over the work of the talented puttysmiths among us. But if I may make a couple of suggestions for an even better likeness, I'd say that the hair maybe needs to be slicked back and flattened a little more, especially at the front (he looks a little bit too well "coiffed" for the Zombie Apocalypse), and the nose made a tad sharper. Otherwise it's A1 across the board.

Looking forward to seeing your take on Daryl.

- Steve
    1969 likes this.
  5. Tommys War A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The Walking Dead is my favourite TV show at the moment.

Steve, this is outstanding mate, you've caught this iconic image perfectly. The only think I will say is that you must bring this to Euro and enter it in to the scratchbuilt category, its got gold all over it!
    1969, Dennis and Babelfish like this.
  6. kidsbday7 Active Member

United-States
    Want. Favorite show. Not my size but for this I would gobble up no problem. Would make nice gift for some people I know. Its exceptional work.
    1969 likes this.
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    Very nice Steve really looks the part put me down for at least one maybe two :eek:
    Steve
    1969 likes this.
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve,
    Nice to see this one finished mate, the detailing is superb. The pose, the stance, the drapery, the look and the textures are on the money for me(y), even if I did not know who he was when you told me:ROFLMAO:, but I do now.:D
    Looking forward to the other one already. Nice to see you have some of your enthusiasm back buddy.
    cheers
    Richie
    1969 and Dennis like this.
  9. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Great to see you back on the bench Steve. What a fantastic work...

cheers
    1969 likes this.
  10. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Great to see you at it again. Considered Michonne?
    I also recommend the comic, as it is a bit grimmer.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    1969 and Tommys War like this.
  11. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You said this was different Steve and it certainly is. Great sculpting mate and good to see you back in the saddle.
    Gordon
    1969 likes this.
  12. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow Steve good to see you're back, that's brilliant. Excellent sculpting mate and especially great work on the folds and creases. (y)

Ken
    1969, Helm and pmfs like this.
  13. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Excellent sculpting Steve, it'll look great with the Dixon figure.
    I stopped watching the series when I realised I was 100% on the side of the zombies (y)
    Cheers
    Derek
    1969 and pmfs like this.
  14. Robert Jan de Wit PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Stunning work Steve.

Glad to see you back.

Regards,
    Robert Jan
    1969 likes this.
  15. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Thinking of it, perhaps my avatar gives away that Im a fan? ;)

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    1969 likes this.
  16. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    Congratulations Steve , nice to see you back on the bench , that's a GREAT sculpt, love it
    Cheers
    Al
    1969 likes this.
  17. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    YES! Michonne is bad ass and would be a great sculpt. Good idea Janne. (y)

In fact, you could cme up with loads. The Governor as well maybe~?
    1969 likes this.
  18. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    In fact Janne, I thought that was a selfie....... ;)
    crf and Uruk-Hai like this.
  19. swralph A Fixture

great sculpting
    1969 likes this.
  20. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks everyone who has commented on the figure, its been a fun project and it was a good way to get my sculpting vibe back :)
    All the best
    Steve
    alamac, pmfs and housecarl like this.