1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book Richard The Lionheart S.K.Miniatures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Tommi, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Richard The Lionheart
    Sculpted and Painted My Mike Blank

main1.jpg

This is the latest in a series of new figures released by Steve Kirtley of S.K.Miniatures. It is a six piece 70mm resin kit, sculpted by the very talented Mike Blank it represents Richard the Lionheart of the crusades.

img1.jpg img2.jpg

The kit is supplied in a sturdy cardboard box with all parts bagged and between two layers of foam. There is a very nice color illustration on the box lid with painting from Mike Blank.

img3.jpg

An enlarged view of the head and face shows the exceptional detail and character that has been sculpted into the figure; we can also see the quality of the casting.

img4.jpg

Front and rear views show the detail of the chain mail and quality of casting. I have marked the areas that have small mould blocks to be removed. The sample I have shows no seam lines in the casting or chain mail. I picked this kit at random from Steve’s stock.

img5.jpg

A closer view of the upper torso shows the positioning of the arms, small mould blocks need to be removed before assembly. I removed these and tested the fitting last night and can say that they are a perfect fit, this was done after the photographic session for the review.

img6.jpg

The two sides of the shield show good detail and clean casting

img7.jpg

A close up of the sword and hilt show the two blocks that need to be removed.

img8.jpg

There is a nicely detailed resin base included with the figure kit.

Conclusion:

A nice new release from S.K.Miniatures by a very talented and well known award winning sculptor. The figure is very clean and has only a minimal amount of cleanup to do. The detail in the resin casting of the chainmail is some of the best I have seen in resin. Although the figure is depicted as Richard the Lionheart it can be painted as almost anything from that era of the crusades. Highly recommended.

Mike Blank won a gold medal award with this figure at Euro Militare 2011

Availabilty:

S.K.Miniatures
    www.skminiatures.co.uk

Cheers
    Tommi
    tbolt7, Jim Patrick, dimgall and 2 others like this.
  2. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Another view of the figure taken at the Euro Militaire show 2011 and Mike Blank receiving his award
    Tommi

end1.jpg

master1.jpg
    gordy likes this.
  3. wappengenosse Member

Poland
    Hello!!!When this figure by available to website s.k. miniatures?Best regards.
  4. templar magister Active Member

Greece
    Wonderful review Tommi!Very good figure with a lot of choices for painting.
    Thanks Tommi for share!(y)
  5. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Igor

Send email to steve@skminiatures.co.uk and he will organize sending one to you, I know he is still busy sorting out orders after the Euro show this past weekend and has not had a chance to update the web site with the new releases.

Tommi
  6. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Tommi for the peek in the box, the sculpting indeed is top notch (y)
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    couldn't find it on the stand of SK.
    I think they where sold out.
    Now i gonna get one.

Marc
  8. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Marc there were lots under the table, could be that all the display ones had gone as it was a good seller.

Cheers
    Tommi
  9. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    I really like that figure and the fact that it is resin.
  10. Kirtles Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the review Tommi!

Marc - the model is in stock & we did have them all weekend at Euro. It sold very well indeed, but I made sure to take a lot. Drop me an email if you would like one & we can sort things from there.

Igor - website is now updated.
    Steve
    www.skminiatures.co.uk
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    As Tommi said i think they where under the table and not in display when i was at your stand. It was very bussy every time. So i gave up, thought that it would be availeble very soon.
    And here it is.
    Gonna send you a mail, and i know it will be allright for both of us.

Marc
  12. Kirtles Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Marc!
    Sorry you didn't get one at the show - we were very busy!
    Cheers, Steve