1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

RHA Officer Finished

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jim Patrick, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Here are the shots of my Royal Horse Artillery Officer. Iv'e learned a lot lately about Photoshop from Chris and lighting from Dave. There's still a lot to learn but I'm getting there. Slowly but surely. Still can't get my background dark enough consistantly. I'm on the right track, I just need more practise. Speaking of practise, the nameplates from Photoshop are on hold. The biggest lesson I have learned is it takes time. I'll get there too. Just give me time. I promise, as soon as I can make as consistantly as Chris (Panzer) does, I'll put the steps up. In any case, the figure is finished. It has been for almost 2 weeks, I have just been a little busy and waiting for the nameplate. It'll be on before Chicago. Tell me what you guys think of it finished?

Jim Patrick

[IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG]
  2. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautifully figure with an excellent painting :)

I really like him a lot Jim... i think you did super job on this nice figure.

Xenofon
  3. EFO New Member

Nice looking figure Jim :)
    The pictures......

Take care
    Ed
  4. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Jim
    Terrific paint job ...I really like the whites
    Is that your first one done since the expo
    Having seen the work there we said we were
    going to ..tweek our painting style

Looks like you tweeked yours in the right direction
    the the figure looks great ...you should be well
    pleased with it

Hope all is well my friend

Frank (y) (y)
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work Jim,

I like it very much.
    BTW, your paintshop job is better then mine, so in my opinion you are on the highway with paintshop pro.

Marc
  6. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guys. It's taking me longer than I want to improve everything about my figures. What can I say? I'm impatient.

Frank, my good friend, all is well over here on this side of the pond. Got drenched by Katrina but not nearly as bad as those in down south. They really have it bad and my heart (and support) goes out to them. I'm just gearing up for Chicago and you should be in the final stages of your prep for Euro. Man, I'm as excited as you guys just to see all of you again in pictures. Any flyer signing planned? :lol: See if you can keep an eye on Stephen Mallia (aka, Sleeping Beauty), he may end up needing a wake up call or 10. :lol: Tell your wife I said "hello".

Ed, as well as everyone else, I have a question. What exactly about my photography (P.S. too) is it that you guys don't like? I want to do an article or two in the near future and I'm desperatly in need of some advice in this department. If there's ANYTHING you see you don't like or would have done differently, PLEASE tell me. I can see an improvement in the last 6-8 minths but that doesn't mean it's pretty good. I need your help :( . PLEASE!

Thanks again,
    Jim Patrick
  7. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Hi Jim,

Congratulations on the excellent figure.

What is the name of the ball from where you cut the grass for your groundwork?

Cheers,
    Paulo
  8. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Looks darn good from here. I wouldn't change a thing on the figure or the photo's.

One question... Did the sword straps and knot come with the figure or did you make those yourself? Excellent!

Keith
  9. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hey Jimbo my friend,how are you? It seems that you kept your word.Yo u said this figure was going to be the first after the expo.And one hell of a f igure it turned out . good luck in chicago.Will you take the knight with you? I'm preparing for Euro so I'll be able to see most of the other guys. Off for a nap :lol: :lol:

Stephen Mallia
  10. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi there Jim!

Well I like this figure, really nice. You've done a good job, and glad to see the inspiration is blossoming since Expo! :)

There's nothing principally wrong with your photography. Personally, I'd like to see slightly larger photos; having seen your work first hand I think there's no harm making them bigger. Guess this could be a debate as to how large a pic should be on the Web of these things. 1:1?

Anyways, what really might be helpful, for all of us, is to maybe in a new thread post our "photography workflows". We each have different cameras; what lighting, shooting parameters on the camera, resolution of the original image; post production processing of the image using what software etc.....(levels, curves, sharpening etc in PS for example, Save for web options etc). This would prove interesting..
  11. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Jim,Great figure.I really like the way you have painted him.Great ground work too.Regards John
  12. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guys.

Paulo, the ball is dried seaweed. The product I use is from El Viejo. Look here. It's near the bottom of the page, you can see how I use it anyway. Hope that helps.

Keith, the sword straps and knot were all supplied with the figure. The only item that's seperate is the sword knot hanging down. All the rest is sculpted on the handle.

Stephen, of course the knight will travel with me. Kinda like Visa. I wouldn't leave home without it. Yours and Ray's. Thankyou very much. Your comments mean A LOT to me. It's not so hard to change your style after World Expo when you have 3 TERRIFIC figures to study ;) .

Rob, my friend, THAT would make for an interesting thread or forum. Dealing strictly with photography. Hmmmmmmmm, Oh Gordy......be expecting a call ;) .

John, high praise indeed from someone like you. Thanks, (y)

Again, to one and all, THANK YOU !

Jim Patrick
  13. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info.

I've already ordered some from EVD for my next projects.

Cheers,
    Paulo